Newbie Joins the Club!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
Well, I'm not really a newbie, but it looks like I'm going to be joining the club of CLS owners!

If all goes well tomorrow with my shipping department I'll be setting up delivery of a pretty minty set of CLS IIz's.

The only down side is that I leave Saturday for Frankfurt and then a short stint in Amsterdam (yeah, I know, sucks to be me), so I won't be able to take delivery and set them up until I get back on the 15th.

I'm pretty jazzed right now!
:drool:

These are them.....

Attachments

• cls.jpg
    cls.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 300
Tim, that's really great! Congrats.

And boy, I've heard of FedEx, UPS and all that, but who do you call to get a flying carpet to deliver the speakers? ;)

Let me guess, there's now a secret CLS owners handshake......:rolleyes:

Who's next on the CLS bandwagon? Joey? He's been awfully quiet latey.....;)

Why is there such a huge renewed interest in the CLS? I have to sheepishly admit that I have not heard the CLS.

Why is there such a huge renewed interest in the CLS? I have to sheepishly admit that I have not heard the CLS.

I agree I've never heard them either, but for some strange reason I want a pair too!!! :D
Seems to have gotten worse the last couple of months with everyone aquiring a pair!!!:eek:

At less than a couple of thousand for the pair, might be a terrific bargin compared to the outrageous estimates I've seen being thrown around on the new CLX retail.

Tim Congrats on the new aquisition.

All right Mr "B" !!!!! Congrats !!!

You know what this means.............. time to get that downstairs room done !!

Hey Tim,

I saw those on A'gon and debated getting them.... they look pretty minty indeed! Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get back from Europe.

Tom.

Well for me, I've always been interested in them, but also always had a hard time hearing them properly set up (at a dealer). Most of the time they were set up about 1.5-2 feet from the back wall, and we all know what perils lie that way.

Then finally last year when I was visiting Radu (Lugano), I was able to hear his CLS's and kind of soiled myself in the first few minutes. The thing I had always loved about my ReQuests is their amazing midrange - mostly I suppose because for the music I listen to most (classical, jazz, acoustic, world, trance etc.), the music really lives in the midrange. With the CLS there is more life and expression in this area than any other speaker I have ever heard. For me, the CLS epitomizes everything I really like most about the Martin Logan sound. They really are something like a first love - once you have experienced them you really can't forget them.

Dave - you are correct regarding the room. Construction to begin very, very soon!
:D

If one is a ML fanatic, you have not lived until you have heard either the CLS or the Statements. A real experience.

Tim, congrats on the purchase. Your membership packet to the CLS club will be sent to you shortly. And no, we do not do the handshake thing...we have other secret ways....

Tim,
Congrats on the CLSiiZ's and welcome to the not so secret CLS club!

You realize the downside of this is now you will have to listen to your entire music collection all over again. All I can say is with your vinyl setup you will be "soiling yourself" again.:eek:

Use them in the best of health and enjoy.

Jeff:cool:

If one is a ML fanatic, you have not lived until you have heard either the CLS or the Statements. A real experience.
I did hear the Dayton-Wrights about 30 years ago, and they were really amazing. I hear that there were problems with the gas that they used leaking out, so they never really made it. I always thought that the Quad 57s were remarkable (I will never forget my first demo when there was a string quartet realistically in front of me), but I could never get them to really work for me.

The guy in Toronto from whom I bought my ARC monoblocks has a pair of CLSs, so maybe one of these days I'll ask him if I can go over to listen to them.

As an aside, there are some really nice people in this hobby. When I went with my wife to the guy's house to pick up the ARCs, he asked me if I could stay for supper; that was a surprise. I had other plans, unfortunately.

Yes Indeed they are good. They are a sound that you have to hear. Having my Modded Quest's and the CLS I find some things I like about both !

At less than a couple of thousand for the pair, might be a terrific bargin compared to the outrageous estimates I've seen being thrown around on the new CLX retail.

Tim Congrats on the new aquisition.

Thanks Wayne, this was exactly my reasoning. I don't know how much better the CLX will sound over the CLS, but I could lay my hands on the CLS NOW and enjoy all they have to offer for a relatively low price. If I have $20K to spend on a speaker a year or so from now I don't know if I'd put it into the CLX honestly, only listening could answer that question. I'll be honest and say that if I decide to lay that kind of coin out I'll likely keep the CLS's and invest in a pair of Avalon Indra's and enjoy the best of stat's and dynamic's

Tim, congrats on the purchase. Your membership packet to the CLS club will be sent to you shortly. And no, we do not do the handshake thing...we have other secret ways....

Thanks Dan, I am proud to join the brotherhood. Once I get them I'll pester you with PM's about set-up, location etc. Roberto has also sent me a PM with some helpfull hints.

I can hardly wait!

Tim,
Congrats on the CLSiiZ's and welcome to the not so secret CLS club!

You realize the downside of this is now you will have to listen to your entire music collection all over again. All I can say is with your vinyl setup you will be "soiling yourself" again.:eek:

Use them in the best of health and enjoy.

Jeff:cool:

Thanks Jeff, we'll have a lot to talk about in the near future! Listening to the entire record collection again, hmmm, well that's gonna suck........NOT!!!

Yes Indeed they are good. They are a sound that you have to hear. Having my Modded Quest's and the CLS I find some things I like about both !

You know, I'm thinking that I'll liely keep my ReQuests too. Who knows, once the dedicated room is built they would make GREAT rears in a surround set-up. You know I actually had my eyes on the walnut ones you got, but I just didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

Last edited:
Tim,

Sounds like you closed the deal. Congrats Amigo.

Do I get a finders fee? :D

For those who haven't heard any iteration of the CLS, I will tell you there is something very magical about hearing this, or any other "pure" stat, that reproduces all frequencies without any x-over / non stat driver hybrid compromises. Phrases like all frequencies "cut from the same cloth" doesn't even begin to describe the magic of this type of transducer. The ability to hear into the "acoustic environment" of the recording is what we crazies all crave. This speaker does it in spades, and at reasonable (read 85db to 90db) SPL.

FWIW, I had the CLS2A's for five years or so. I bought my pair from a dealer in SF, CA after having heard the original CLS. Oh my, that was special. The poster child of ultimate transparency.

Like many who sold this speaker, that's one decision I'd love to have back.

GG

PS: I still love my Summits. My fourth and final (?) ML speaker. It's only a question of personal biases and speaker performance capabilities.

What ya hear.

Nice find Tim, and Congrats. We will looking forward to hearing in detail what you hear as far as differences. I have never heard these speakers so I can live through you a bit and gather some insight. Travel safe so you can get back to fire em' up.

Doug - out

Nice purchase Tim. It will be like Christmas in April when you return. Your vinyl will be very happy with you.

My favorite thing with CLS's is how it places you in the music. It's about 4 tables from the stage in your own personal club and you can pick the artist to put up their next, plus the drinks are cheaper.

Keep us up to date with pics as you rearrange the room with the installation.

Latest posts

Back