Newbie Fresco Questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

blackhook

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and today I am taking the plunge & ordering my first Martin Logans. I'm getting five Frescos & a Depth (all on sale at Magnolia!) for my new HT.

I'm also going with the new Sony Pearl 1080p projector, which looks phenomenal with even standard DVDs. In my *very small* condo media room (~11' x 13') -- nominally my master bedroom -- I'm getting the biggest Stewart Firehawk SST screen I can realistically fit; i.e., 88''. That is, and still have room for the Frescos on the sides & bottom :D .

I have a few questions:

1. Anyone have any experience with the Arcam AVR350 surround receiver? It's rated at 100W when driving all 7 channels.
  2. Has anyone upgraded electrical outlets, to hospital grade or whatever? I figure I might as well while my room is torn up :)
  3. Will the Frescos be a good fit for my very small room?

TIA for any & all comments!

Phil

1. Anyone have any experience with the Arcam AVR350 surround receiver? It's rated at 100W when driving all 7 channels.
  2. Has anyone upgraded electrical outlets, to hospital grade or whatever? I figure I might as well while my room is torn up :)
  3. Will the Frescos be a good fit for my very small room?

TIA for any & all comments!

Phil

Blackhook, Welcome ! Ans to questions:

1) no experience
2) yes, see current thread(on the site) on this topic
3) should be fine

It is obvious you are a "front row" kinda person given your small room and large screen !!!

Enjoy !!

Hey Phil,

welcome! I only heard Frescos in a Magnolia and was very impressed. If HT is all you're doing, they will be awesome.... I wouldn't use them for 2 channel, or if you plan on doing 2 channel with your system.

If that were the case, I'd get Claritys or Aeons for the mains and stick with the Frescos for everything else. They are a good match with the ML ESLs.

When you get your system all up and running, I'd love for you to post it in the Member Systems section so we can all check it out!

Regards,

Tom.

It is obvious you are a "front row" kinda person given your small room and large screen !!!

Enjoy !!

Dave,

Thanks ...yeah, I do get into the film "immersion" experience :cool:

Last week I sat for a few hours at Magnolia with a buddy & experienced the Sony/Stewart/ML system ...at my viewing distance of ~9' with a 92" screen. We both agreed it was an amazing experience. We watched parts of three standard DVDs:

1. Sopranos S1E06 "Pax Soprana"
  2. Three Days of the Condor
  3. North By Northwest

The first two DVDs looked & sounded great ...of course it didn't hurt that the setup included front Summits, center Stage, dual Abyss subs and surround (4) Scripts, plus top-end Marantz electronics.

The Sopranos soundtrack was flawlessly rendered, from the iconic A3 opening credits, to the scene where Uncle Junior is crowned the new Boss. The latter begins with very realistic clinking glasses, and segues into the brilliant rock/electronica arrangement of the lovely Fauré "Pavane".

As to "Condor", Dave Grusin's eerily-atmospheric score, with its subtly-shifting moods, came through beautifully.

"North By Northwest" is another story altogether. The DVD remaster -- from the original VistaVision -- is stunningly realistic ...and this from a film nearly 50 years old! (If only today's all-digital films were as interesting or as compelling in their effects and storylines, rather than full of fakey judo-chop fights and phony digital explosions.) The Dolby Digital 5.1 remaster of Bernard Herrmann's wonderful score sounded tremendous on the ML system. Anyone not familiar with this film icon is in for a treat.

BTW, the listening room also featured $20k of full-wall acoustical treatment (3M?) ...it did a nice job of eliminating echo & too much reverb.

All in all, a very filmlike experience ...and the ML's certainly did their part par excellence.

-Phil

Hey Phil,

welcome! I only heard Frescos in a Magnolia and was very impressed. If HT is all you're doing, they will be awesome.... I wouldn't use them for 2 channel, or if you plan on doing 2 channel with your system.

If that were the case, I'd get Claritys or Aeons for the mains and stick with the Frescos for everything else. They are a good match with the ML ESLs.

When you get your system all up and running, I'd love for you to post it in the Member Systems section so we can all check it out!

Regards,

Tom.

Tom,

Thanks for the welcome! I am quite impressed with this forum ...the convivial atmosphere, the willingness of everyone to freely share information.

I do appreciate your suggestion about using ML ESLs as mains. I had wanted to use Vistas but alas my room configuration doesn't fit them. In my living room I have my main audio system, with B&W 803Ns, which are also pretty darn musical. That room opens onto a view of Seattle's Lake Union -- over the "Sleepless in Seattle" houseboat -- so the room wouldn't have worked very well for the HT.

Oh well, in my next place I would love to have a dedicated room for a full ML setup. But...for now the good news is that I've gotten to learn a little about Martin Logan & to experience some of the effortless musicality that all'o'y'all have known about for a long time.

I will post the system when it is operational ...hopefully within the month.

Much obliged!

-Phil

Phil,
Welcome.
Tom does have a good suggestion but I do know how space will dictate what will work and what does not. I am using a Fresco as a center channel powered by an 36 year old Marantz which I think is only 120 watts. :D It sounds great blends well (plays well with others :)) with the other ESL's. I do not think you will be disappointed with the Fresco's as to their sound.

Enjoy and again welcome

Jeff:cool:

Phil,
Welcome.
Tom does have a good suggestion but I do know how space will dictate what will work and what does not. I am using a Fresco as a center channel powered by an 36 year old Marantz which I think is only 120 watts. :D It sounds great blends well (plays well with others :)) with the other ESL's. I do not think you will be disappointed with the Fresco's as to their sound.

Enjoy and again welcome

Jeff:cool:

I agreed whith Jeff here. I also have one Fresco as a center channel and blends very good with my CLSIIz too. Just, trust your ears and enjoy the great sound of ML...happy listening,
Roberto.

Back