Newbie (FNG)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joef

Reaction score
HI everyone, my name is joef and I am a newbie. I recently purchased a pair of ESL-11As. Still trying to get a good center fill, but my room is tricky. I'll take all the help I can get. Many thanks.

Welcome Joef!

I've got the 13A's, and they appreciate front wall absorption. I had older smaller ML's prior to these and the difference I encountered is that the larger panels work better with added absorption further towards the center beyond where a mirror reflection would stop. So if the reflected image of the speaker stops at 4' from the center, I added about 1-1/2' more so it stops at 2-1/2' from the center. I also made the new absorption panels much taller, so mine now go floor to ceiling, not necessary but it looks better than stopping a couple feet from the ceiling.

The absorption also helps eliminate the back-wave refection which, for me, is noticeable in the high freq as harshness in cymbals, horns, and exaggerated sibilance.

I had a friend over while doing an amp comparison and he kept asking if my Center speaker was providing sound. It wasn't even connected.

Glad you found us Joef. The 11A's are nice speakers I'm sure you will greatly enjoy them

If you can tell us about your room, setup and electronics it would help all here with the issue you are working on.

Brad

Thanks for replying Brad. Equipment is VPI Sig. w/ Soundsmith The Voice, LKV 2-SB phono, ARC Ref3 and Ref75. I think the problem is that my room has a cavity that measures 42" x 33" to the right of the right speaker. Speakers are 57" from back wall, 90" from listening position and 42" apart. Should I cover up the cavity somehow to get more reflection? Thanks again. Joe F

Joef, I could see the cavity creating some base anomaly but not really suck out your center image. What is the size of your room? Can you post a pic?

I would try moving them apart a bit more. Play with the toe in and tilt of the panel. Be sure speakers are as close to exactly the same as you can.
Your equipment should have NO problem making those 11A's sound amazing.

What is the material of the front wall behind the speakers? Try moving them around a little at a time and see what starts to bring the center together and fine tune from there.

Last edited:
Joef, I agree with Brad225 re the recessed wall area not sucking-out the imaging. Tilt can make noticeable differences in the soundstage, along with toe. As Roberto suggested, using a flashlight helps to make matching up each speaker to the other easier. You'll want to match the reflections in the panels for both toe and tilt. If you raise and lower the flashlight you'll see the reflection in one or another horizontal strip on the stat panel. It sounds like the distance from the front wall is very optimal, so it's probably toe and tilt to play with.

My panels are almost vertical, just slightly tilted back. I'd suggest using the rounded feet for ease of moving the speakers around, but of course you probably already are using them. When it came time for spikes I had to be sure to use the spikes with the longer threads mounted in the back to get the tilt I now have.

Do you have any absorption or diffusion?

There's one thing you could try which helps in regard to figuring out what the rear wave is doing is with using couch cushions. Before I had any absorption panels I experimented with cushions and comforters/blankets. I simply rested the cushions behind the stat panel on top of the woofer box and almost completely eliminated the rear wave. This allowed me to move the speakers anywhere and everywhere without any regard to the rear wave affecting what I heard from the front wave only. Of course, this doesn't help at all with anything related to the woofers, but I was able to immediately able to dial-in the soundstage.

Thanks for replying Brad. Equipment is VPI Sig. w/ Soundsmith The Voice, LKV 2-SB phono, ARC Ref3 and Ref75. I think the problem is that my room has a cavity that measures 42" x 33" to the right of the right speaker. Speakers are 57" from back wall, 90" from listening position and 42" apart. Should I cover up the cavity somehow to get more reflection? Thanks again. Joe F

Joef, first off, welcome !

second, only 42" apart ?? sorry that makes little to no sense to me. Am I missing something ?

Latest posts

Back