New York Audio Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
Hi All,
Don't know if this is the correct site and I missed it but anyone going to the show this weekend?
Necroson and I will be there this Saturday:D

Best,
Bob

Sadly, I can't join you guys there... flying down to see my daughter at college. I am targeting RMAF this year though in mid October.

Be sure to take notes/pics in NY so the more vicarious of us can virtually tag along.

Hope all is well Bob

-t

Todd,
you were missed! Had fun at the show and finally was able to see and hear awesome gear that I have only read about. I really liked the Scaena speakers, sounded amazing. YG Anats and Wilson Sasha were great too. Heard some new stats from Robyatt Audio. See images attached. Also follow the link to see short video clips of some rooms. 5 Beers with tip was $65! only 12 ounce, 3 Sam Adams, 2 Bud light! holy crap! Met some cool people as well. good times. One video has the MBL 101 and 9011 amps. Those amps are hugggggggggge!
Videos here:
www.inderivium.com/nycaudioshow

Attachments

• Scaena Loudspeakers.jpg
    Scaena Loudspeakers.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 512
  • Robyatt_stats.jpg
    Robyatt_stats.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 452
Todd,
you were missed! Had fun at the show and finally was able to see and hear awesome gear that I have only read about. I really liked the Scaena speakers, sounded amazing. YG Anats and Wilson Sasha were great too. Heard some new stats from Robyatt Audio. See images attached. Also follow the link to see short video clips of some rooms. 5 Beers with tip was $65! only 12 ounce, 3 Sam Adams, 2 Bud light! holy crap! Met some cool people as well. good times. One video has the MBL 101 and 9011 amps. Those amps are hugggggggggge!
Videos here:
www.inderivium.com/nycaudioshow

Nice Pete! Thanks for posting the pics, vids, and great commentary. Sounds like you and Necropops are having a stellar time! Those (difficult to spell) Scaenas have my salivary glands in overdrive! I hope they exhibit at RMAF. Which tube amps are those pushing the sceaiannaes?

And yes... big city beer prices... fun huh? Makes you want to really savor every drop. Bud light never tasted so... (never mind) :D

Those (difficult to spell) Scaenas have my salivary glands in overdrive! I hope they exhibit at RMAF.
You and me both, Todd, but.....they're not on the list as of now, and they didn't show last year.:mad:

hey Todd. yea i am in awe of the Scaena. the tube amps were Conrad Johnson. Not sure which model. Glad you liked the vids. A bit short but I was more into listening then filming :)
here we have the YG AnatIII, The new Sony speakers with the Pass Labs 600.5 monos! The depth on this system was very good. A little flat but huge depth and stage. The Wilson Sasha and VTL tube Monos were a kick a$$ system! The room sucked but the sound was extremely good.

Attachments

• AnatIII.jpg
    AnatIII.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 438
  • Wilson&VTL.jpg
    Wilson&VTL.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 446
  • Sony_passLabs.jpg
    Sony_passLabs.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
Also there were a pair of new Dipoles from a local company called GT Audio Works. $2750/pair. They sounded pretty good.

Attachments

• GTAudio.jpg
    GTAudio.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 623
Good stuff enjoyed the vids. Think the mic in your camera is better than the hopeless one in mine - at least some resolution was getting through!:)

So Alan Taylor on the Scaenas. That was the Magico Q3s job at Munich last year.:cool:

Was it well attended? With the high rise living and space constraints, I can't see too many NYC types being into hi-fi.

Thanks! yea, I was surprised too with the cam mic. ha! nice. yea it sounded awesome. I was only there on saturday but it was busy! The MBL room had a very long line all day long. Most rooms were packed at any given time. I would like to hear the Magico, how did they sound to you?

Read the links, thanks! I have been reading about the Q a bunch. I hope to hear them soon. Right now If I could figure out a way, I would buy the Sceana, hands down. Top notch.

Hahah! Hmmmm the sale price of the CLX would get me about .003 of the money I need for the Scaena. Think Ill keep these for now :)

Hm... the design looks a bit too complicated to me. Too many different materials and driver types being employed.

I bet if you owned the Scaenas after a while you would notice they don't sound as consistent over the frequency range (to 60 Hz) as a CLX does, precisely for this reason.

Not saying they aren't awesome - or can at least be made to impress massively with some material, but I have a hunch my thoughts are correct.

Interesting comments here from someone on another forum who attended the NY show and was blown away by the MBL demo. No surprise wrt his assertion that bass is perhaps a tad more pronounced vs CLX ;). Also, I asked him about the Scaena demo, his reply "not my cup of tea". Huh.

<><><>
"The MBL's are one of the few speakers that disappear as completely as the CLXes, however I don't think they are as pinpoint accurate. I found them to have a more natural sound though. Where they obliterate the CLXes is in dynamics, particularly the bass. The MBL's were thunderous, on rock and roll they were simply sensational. Another MBL advantage is the lack of a tight "sweet spot". In terms of seating positions, the omnidirectional design is just incredible. Wherever you go in the room, the stage remains in the same spot as it would in a concert hall.

As far as the dynamics are concerned, the demo was being powered by a pair of the insanely large and expensive MBL 9011. So power and thus dynamics not only were not a problem, they were among the best I have ever heard. The concern is how they might fare with an amp that can be more commonly found on earth. (My friend commented that they are each about the size of a BMW V12 engine, and together about the price of a BMW V12 engine with a car wrapped around it!)

Reflecting on my experience, this was among the best systems I have ever heard. They were the only speakers that I heard that I would trade my CLXes for without hesitation."

Wow, it really is all about the person. I did not find the MBL room that impressive at all. I was slightly to the left of center and I knew I was left of center, the stage wasnt complete. Bass was pretty good. Dont get me wrong it sounded nice but I think the Scaena were way better. Id keep my CLX over the MBL but would sell these for the Scaena's.

Agree WRT not being on-axis with the MBL101E - you do know it, even though they are omnis - but only to the bass cab frequency. Definately true of the 116F too, only more so, I think.

Basically, Peter, I agree with you on all points apart from the Scaenas, which I've not heard..

I was also at the show and loved it. First time at a show for me. Loved the YG anat and ref III, scaena and mbl rooms. Wilson's were great too.

I am biased because I am a Logan and MBL 111e owner - but I thought the MBL room wAs the best in show, followed closely by the YGs. I will say already that these comparisons are ridiculous - different rooms, different amps, different songs, volumes, et al - which is why I say "room," not speaker. Agree with the earlier poster that they have the "disappearing act" of Logan's but with way more dynamics. That is also what I notice at home when I compare my Logan summit room with the my MBL room

I can probably tell you how they sound with real world amps in a few weeks. I have just bought a pair of Pass 600.5 to drive my mbl111es, little brothers of the 101es at the show. Can't wait to try them with pass amps. I will also likely upgrade before long to the 101es :) ;)

Wow! Big congrats on the new 600.5 acquisition! You will absolutely have the makings of a world-class setup. What will the rest of that system be comprised of?

Agree fully with Justin regarding his comments on the off axis bass response on the 116's. I typically listen off axis. I'm about six feet or so and about one foot or so from the right front edge of the right speaker.

Tis amazing regarding different impressions of different speaker systems but that's what audio is all about. For me, the Scaena's are just too visually imposing although I'm confident that they are outstanding performers.

Adanny, glad to hear we have another MBLer in the MLO club. I too look forward to your observations with those Pass Labs bad boys. I drive my 116's with a X250.5.

GG

Latest posts

Back