new turntable impressions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard the Grado is musical but lacks some detail is this true ?

Not at all. If it has any shortcoming at all it's a lack of ability to handle overcut grooves gracefully at specified 1.5 g tracking force, at least with my Rega 250 arm. An increase to about 2.0 solves that.

do you guys set your track weight to exactly what the cartridge recommends or do you deviate some and if so what are the benefits and what if any detriments are there???

I only use the recommended tracking force as a guideline. I'll play with the VTF and VTA till I get optimum sound which with midprice grade tonearms that don't have ultra-sophisticated anti-skate systems, usually means higher VTF than spec. The drawbacks are increased needle and record wear.

Get your hands on the Acoustic Sounds Test Record:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?title_ID=35532&&banner_id=12835

This will really help you dial in your table...

You will need a multimeter that also reads frequency.
You can buy a Fluke for about 100 bucks.

Here's another thing no Vinyl enthusiast should be without:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=28626

This one's a bit spendy, but if you have a couple of buddies
with turntables, go in on it and share it between each other.

How many plays "guideline" can one expect out of a good piece of vinyl with the equipment that I have ????

do you guys set your track weight to exactly what the cartridge recommends or do you deviate some and if so what are the benefits and what if any detriments are there???

Higher, within reason, is better than lower. With too low a VTF and the stylus can literally lose contact with the groove wall and bang around. The manufacturer's recommendation is a good starting point but VTF must be set by ear.

how far over can you usually go without messing things up?

a couple of tenths of a gram beyond the 'high side' of the mfg recomendation. Myself I have never needed to go beyond the 'range'.

keep in mind also that the relationship between cartridge and tonearm with respect to their compliance has a bearing as well (effective mass of tonearm as it relates to cartridge cantilever compliance).

Fish, if all this seems overwhelming, don't panic, there is alot of good reading out there........remember Google is your friend !

thanks Bernard. hey I just noticed that one of my Springsteen albums slides on start up any thoughts on how to remedy this ? I do not have on of those cool weights on the top nor do I think my player could use one of those any tricks of tips???

thanks Bernard. hey I just noticed that one of my Springsteen albums slides on start up any thoughts on how to remedy this ? I do not have on of those cool weights on the top nor do I think my player could use one of those any tricks of tips???
The album is probably dished, hence the slide. If you want to flatten it, take two clean sheets of glass and a low oven......I have not actually had to do this, so someone with more experience may want to speak up. I don't think that the weight would help here, but you never know.

Fish - this is a very good resource - especially for compliance matching. First given to me by an ex-member when buying my Orpheus. It's very good.

http://www.cartridgedb.com/main.asp

As Jeff said, a test record is worth it's weight in dollar bills. Just don't expect a cheap cart to make it through the tracking tests to well. Even expensive ones have a hard time.

As for record warps and record weights - generally you need a platter that has been designed for a clamp for it to be effective. Michell decks have it almost completely sussed - the Orbe mech for this is excellent i.e. the platter is raised around the spindle, and the clamp pushes down on the vinyl label to push the whole record flat against the platter surface. Some have concave platters to achieve the same effect e.g. the Gyrodec, but since the record isn't truely flat it isn't quite as good as the Orbe mech.

Last edited:

This may vary cartridge by cartridge depending on how much "compliance" (another one of those nasty TT terms meaning how much/how easily the stilus is allowed to deflect on it's mounts under load before the arm actually starts to bend) the cartridge has. Usually you will start to see the stilus squat looking like it's being overloaded just like a car or truck starts to squat when it's overloaded

so the metal that goes to the diamond should not bend ?

It's usually not the cantilever that you have a problem with, it's
the suspension. Think of when you see two really big girls get in a
small car and it bottoms out...

:)

so tonepub explain what should I see is the cantilever the thing that have the diamond on it

so tonepub explain what should I see is the cantilever the thing that have the diamond on it

If you're asking what I think you are, then yes. The cantilever is the skinny, finger-like thing sticking out of the bottom of the cartridge. Attached to the end of the cantilever--the bit that actually sits in the record's groove--is the diamond stylus.

Back