New to vinyl

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger92

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about taking the plunge into vinyl. In a recent topic on this forum, a few of you were advising another member to stay away from vinyl because of his low turntable budget and lack of owned records. I am in a similar situation but am willing to spend $1000-2000 for a player. I have the fortune of purchasing new Pro-Ject turntables at a discount.

Do any of you own Pro-ject? If so, which model and what is your experience so far?

The reason for my interest in vinyl is because from what hear, nothing is better. And honestly, it's easier to find newer modern music on vinyl then it is in hi-rez (96/24)! I love the convenience of my Squeezebox but I yearn for something more from a fidelity standpoint. Another reason to move to vinyl is because I don't want to invest in a CD or Flac if I can just get it on vinyl.

What do you think I should do? Your opinions are appreciated.

am willing to spend $1000-2000 for a player. I have the fortune of purchasing new Pro-Ject turntables at a discount.

Do any of you own Pro-ject? If so, which model and what is your experience so far?

Good tables for the money, QC has improved over the past couple of years. Is your 1-2k budget for the complete analog package......table/arm/cart, phono-pre, cabling and cleaning supplies ? if so depending on your discount I'd sugest either the Pro-Ject 2 Experience or the RM5.1SE, then perhaps picking up a decent phono pre on the used market. Remember also you will need to tailor your phono pre selection along with cartridge selection......MM vs. MC.....output of cart with respect to gain of phono pre. If your discount is not that big then perhaps one of the 'packaged' ProJects with cart already installed.

Lots of possibilities !

The RM5.1 already has a Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge along with it, which is a $500 cartridge. That may be the way I go. What should I look for in a phono pre? What manufacturers should I consider?

Assuming your $2K max applies to just the TT/arm/cartridge, I highly recommend the Clearaudio Concept MC. I recently reviewed it in the mag (next issue, coming soon!), and really liked it.

To start back into vinyl without spending too much - consider the Project RPM 5.1 with an Ortofon mm cartridge (maybe the 2m blue). There are some really good phono preamps out there. If you didn't want to risk a used one, try the NAD PP2i or the Cambridge Audio 640p. Leave some money for a Spin-Clean vinyl cleaning system. That should leave you some money to buy new vinyl!

It's been two months, I think Brian has fallen into the vinyl abyss.......

Too bad, he doesn't know what he is missing. I haven't played 1 cd since getting my vinyl system up and running 2 months ago. I should have new pictures posted in a couple of days in my gallery of it. VPI Superscoutmaster, Zesto Andros tubed phono stage, Dynavector XX2mk11 cartridge.

I actually collected records for 1 year before getting this up and going.My advice to anyone wondering if they should get into vinyl is-jump right in!!

Attachments

• Zesto Andros phono stage-front view #1.jpg
    Zesto Andros phono stage-front view #1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 438
  • VPI Superscoutmaster P-1.jpg
    VPI Superscoutmaster P-1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Thanks Edwin for the kind comment. I still can't beleive how good vinyl sounds.That Zesto Andros tubed phono stage sounds excellent. I changed 2 tubes out to Seimens nos and may go for a full set of telefunkens. I have switched the Superscoutmaster TT cones spikes since these pictures were taken over to Eden Sound Terra Stones which gave an improvement in sound. They are a direct replacement for any VPI TT.
Cheers, Greg

Back