New To ML, need advise please

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victory-Rider

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to the world of ML, so far love their products.
I know looking here at this BB is hindsight after buying my set up, but I did read a lot of reviews, that's why I went with the ML's.

I'm in no way at the caliber of the members here, and I'm also at the bottom end of the money scale as to investment. But I'm not that into listening to music, just want a kick-butt HT setup. So with that said, you can assume most of my listening is movies.

I did do a search, but as all set ups are unique, I figured I ask for advise.
I do know that maybe my A/V unit isn't top of the line, maybe not even mid-grade, and some might think why did you buy that, but for me it seems to work quite well. I'll take comments on this to, who knows, maybe next upgrade will be this item.

Here are the details of my media room and an equipment list:

Room 21 x 11 x 8, with the TV placed at the long end.
TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT25
A/V: Pioneer Elite VSX-30
ML:
Motion 10 Front
Motion 8 Center
Motion 4 Rear
Dynamo 500

So here are my questions...
1. I don't want/can't run my set-up in 7.1, but it is wired for 6.1, so with my current set-up should I use a Motion 6 or 8 for the rear center channel?
2. As stated I have Motion 10's up front, but have the chance to upgrade to Motion 12's at a huge savings. Thoughts on upgrading? Worth it? ( only gonna cost me about $250 more for 12's)
3. Any other comments?

Thanks, for your time and thoughts.

Welcome V-R, I have no knowledge of your speakers, but someone will chime in, I'm sure. We have a few bike riders here, too.

Yes, welcome Victory Rider... I'll take a leap here and assume your username refers to Victory bikes, ya? I ride an 08 Vegas myself when the weather permits which, as a New Englander, is not at the moment.

I also don't have any first hand experience with the gear you've mentioned... sorry.

Cheers

Yes as in Victory bikes.
Not trying to toot my own horn, but I have a little collection going...

99 V92c numbered bike #567 off the line
04 Vegas 100ci kit, 200 rear
05 Hammer, tuned by Lloyd, 280 rear
06 Kingpin
08 Vision

I haven't updated this in a while, but you get the idea.

http://web.mac.com/petefredette/Victory_Vision/Welcome.html

Wow, those are stunning bikes! And by all means toot away. At least half the fun of this forum is living vicariously through others :)

Cheers

Thanks!
And I saw your comment about riding, I'm in SE Ma about ten minutes east from Providence.
More snow tonight! Got to love New England!

Welcome aboard :D. I'm a bit over a year into the game, but I still feel like a newlywed :p.

All I can say is I listened to the Motion 4s and I was impressed! I was thinking of using them for a 2nd system.

If you ever plan on getting into music (even remote chance), I'd spring for the Motion 12 over the 10s...this is based on the specs.

ML Motion Specs

Have you given them both a listen against each other?

Just a question, have you considered moving up to the Source?

If you are buying new, maybe consider a used pair on Audiogon. I see one that "sale pending" for $900 which I believe is cheaper than the Motion 12.

Just a thought.

For the rears...isn't a 6.1 essentially a 7.1 with the two rears tied together? In that case, wouldn't it make sense to match with 3 Motion 4s at the rear?

More of a question than a comment.

Back