New to me Aeon's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny Crane

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Aeon's and am trying to figure out exactly what I have. I don't think the guy I bought them from had used them much if any and didn't know much about them.

With a serial # of "AEONPILOT01" and the other one is "EPIL0T007" ?? Might have never been sold retail? I bought them in Lawrence KS. My guess is the original owner works/worked at ML.

One of the woofers has a small crease/dent in it so I will probably replace it. No idea how that happened. Other than that they look like new.

They came with a new set of panels in an unopened box. No idea why because the panels on them look near perfect. The serial # on the box with new panels is ASQG 706 & 707 which I think means they would be for the AERIUS model? The box is clearly marked AEON.

Do they both use the same panels? AERIUS 38" and AERIUSI 42" and the AEON 37". I have considered selling the new panels to recover some of the cost.

They also came with a nice pair of KRELL "The Source" cables.

They sound great and I would like to learn more about them.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry a a small crease/dent in the woofer unless it bothered you. But the origin of these speakers is interesting...

I was concerned that the slight crease in the cone could cause the voice coil to be off center. It is slight and I sure can't hear any difference. It's just the only thing keeping them from being 100%.

I didn't notice the serial #'s until I was home and setting them up. I first thought they might have been prototypes used in the shop for design and testing but if that were the case I would expect to see signs of them being altered and/or taken apart many times. After close inspection I would say they have never been apart. The rear cover screws show no sign of ever being out. There is a date and initials on each panel under the trim at the bottom on the opposite side of the leads. Both dated in 2001 but several months apart.

The original panels are 40 3/4" tall and I just opened the box to measured the new panels and they are also 40 3/4".

I thought I read in the Aeon pdf specs that the panels were 37"?

The trim on these looks like the black oak. I would like to have some dark oak trim. Anyone want to trade?

Thanks again

If you press the cone ever so gently a little bit inwards, and you dont hear a noise the are fine.
Well, you can measure the panels you have on the speaker, or what? Why do you doubt? 37" might be effective radiating area, and 40 5/4 is the entire panel.

The panels on them measure 40 3/4" and the new ones in the box measure the same. The box the replacements are in was marked Aerius which is crossed out and then Aeon was marked. The serial #'s for the replacements are ASQG which would also indicate they are for the Aerius. I had read in the specs that the Aeon was 37" and the Aerius was 42". That along with the odd serial #'s made me wonder if they were the standard Aeon size.

Effective radiating area vs total height is probably the answer.

Back