New Spire speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luc

Reaction score
Hello,

I am from yesterday testing a set Spire speakers.
Eather I am so misformed having Sequel II for 15 years or I have a bad pair of Spire speakers or I do not know.
These speakers don't give at all the open sound that I had with my Sequels II . The bass is better under control but the complete speaker does not give the same sprankling open sound that I was used to get from my Sequels. Do I have a problem with my ears or can someone confirm this or is there a problem with the Spire speakers?
PS; I only changed the speakers.

Luc,

Your explanation is way to vague for anyone to troubleshoot.

Could be a speaker hardware problem. Then again, could be a set up issue, panel break in issue, or something else.

I can't imagine, all things being equal, that the Spire would offer less quality sound than your Sequels.

One thought is that you have the bass crossover (volume output) set too high. Excessive bass will negatively impact the overall openness of the sound.

Hopefully with some play time and some set up adjustments, things will be fine.

GG

spire speakers

Thanks for the reply Gorden,

I do not know how I can be more specific;
this sound of the spire's is not that open sprankling sound that I was used to have with my Sequel's.
These speakers do not give me the fantastic feeling that I had and even have today when coming back from holiday putting on the system and hearing this fantastic ML sound which was so different from conventional speakers !
As I am far from a real "HIFI freak" but just love good quality sound , you could perhaps give me some hints :) I already heave now 36 hours of play time changed positions and still the open sprankling electrostatic sound is no there !

Luc,

I'm not familiar with the Spire but there should be some type of indicator light that theoretically comes on in a certain color when the panel is working as designed. Is that coming on and is it the correct color? If it isn't functioning properly, the obvious suspect is the power supply board.

Also, do both speakers sound dull or just one? If both, that would indicate that the problem may not be with the speaker.

Did you hook up the speakers with your amp on? If you did, you may have damaged the amp.

Pictures and a description of your room, equipment, and speaker set up dimensions would be most helpful.

Did you buy from an ML dealer who can come over to your place and confirm the issue?

GG

PS: Is the voltage correct for your country? Also, are the power plugs securely attached at both ends?

Last edited:
Hola. There must be something wrong. The Spires are much better than your old Sequels. The size of the panel is about the same as your Sequels, but these panels are made with the new CLXs tech. Micro perf, and vacuum bonding diaphragm too. The quality of the mid range, lower mid, upper mids, lower highs, mid highs, upper highs have more dynamics and much more better dispersion. If you are not getting this, perhaps is showing your electronics. Try to use less bass control at the 35Hz...this will take a lot of bass and will clean your sound panel. I hope this might help.. also, what Mr. Gordon Gray did point out> the frequency line and voltage should match the Spires...happy listening,
Roberto.

Latest posts

Back