New Ride!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim,

I love the Q5. My wife and I drove one. She thought it looked too masculine. She ended up picking the ML350. My choice would have been the Q5 or the FX.

Here's MY new ride... a Lexus RX 450h, in "matador red" metallic with perforated tan leather interior.

Nice ride, Steve. It is almost identical to my wife's 400h, even down to the color. She loves hers, so I expect you will enjoy yours as well.

I have a friend with a 450h and he loves it. If I was looking for an SUV, that would be it.

You all sound like a bunch of soccer moms getting excited over SUV's.

Utilitarian yes, exciting give me a break.

We had some hammer head bring his Porsche twin turbo SUV to a track day event at Road Atlanta last summer and drill the wall head on coming down the hill onto the front stretch.

Even a Porsche turbo SUV is still an SUV.

I know that they are great everyday commuters but lets keep it in perspective.

You all sound like a bunch of soccer moms getting excited over SUV's.

Utilitarian yes, exciting give me a break.

We had some hammer head bring his Porsche twin turbo SUV to a track day event at Road Atlanta last summer and drill the wall head on coming down the hill onto the front stretch.

Even a Porsche turbo SUV is still an SUV.

I know that they are great everyday commuters but lets keep it in perspective.

True!

But I'm getting 30+ MPG with 295 HP, so I can blow past the Porsche's at the gas pump! At least I got the Sport option, with 19" alloy wheels (and a sport-tuned suspension and transmission), so it's not the usual "cushy" Lexus ride. Best of all, I now have streaming Internet Radio (e.g. Pandora, others) via my Touchstone-mounted Palm Pre and Bluetooth audio, and will be adding a 32 GB USB flash drive for additional music! I wonder if ML will ever enter the automotive market? :D

Attachments

• TouchstonePreCar.jpg
    TouchstonePreCar.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I wonder if ML will ever enter the automotive market? :D

Please no - that really would be the end!

Are you streaming from your Squeezebox server too? I know there's an iPhone app that will connect remotely (Squeeze Mobile??), but I don't know about the Palm.

Last edited:
... Are you streaming from your Squeezebox server too? I know there's an iPhone app that will connect remotely (Squeeze Mobile??), but I don't know about the Palm.

Actually, there ARE some folks already running the Squeezebox Touch in their car (for example... http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=78052), but the only reason to do so would be for the touchscreen, and FLAC playback.

There actually is a Palm/WebOS app (Squeeze Control) for controlling the Squeezebox Touch (and other Squeezebox devices), and I've just started using it (at home) as a remote control from my listening position. It's pretty slick, but still a bit buggy.

... I wonder if ML will ever enter the automotive market? :D

Maybe that idea is not so far-fetched!

From http://www.transmissionaudio.com...

500_Picture_03.jpg
Quadra

ribbon unit - the car audio version

Quadra - Car audio version

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Shown here is a Volvo V70 with Transmission Audio's Quadra ribbons mounted into the front door/windshield frames[/FONT].

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Utilizing the same reinforced ribbon membranes as in the Professional PA Series, these ribbons are extremely rugged and can take almost any abuse. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]They are perfect for use in cars where high SPL's and low distortion is mandatory. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Quadra car audio ribbons are delivered in matched pairs and comes in an aluminum casing, complete with matching transformers. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Minimum power requirements is 20Watts at 4 Ohm. Suitable for passive or active crossover at 1kHz or higher. [/FONT]

Tim,

Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize the Q5 was based on the Audi cars...I just figured that it was based on the small VW SUV because they have been talking about a small Porsche SUV that WOULD be based on that platform and I figured they were talking about that because it was already done in the Audi line. I stand (or sit in my case) corrected!

Steve,

Seen PLENTY of R8's live and in person and spent 30 min in the drivers seat of one driving the hell out of it... technically superior product, but still U-G-L-Y! Would not put one in my garage EVER! Way to many beautiful cars that can match it out there for equal or less money! YMMV!

Here is my most recent addition to the garage...pales by comparison to all the cars you guys are posting, but it is the EASIEST car to get in and out of if you are in a wheelchair! Nothing better for me out there and I have tried a WHOLE BUNCH of car different cars!

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 91
Tim,

Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize the Q5 was based on the Audi cars...I just figured that it was based on the small VW SUV because they have been talking about a small Porsche SUV that WOULD be based on that platform and I figured they were talking about that because it was already done in the Audi line. I stand (or sit in my case) corrected!

Steve,

Seen PLENTY of R8's live and in person and spent 30 min in the drivers seat of one driving the hell out of it... technically superior product, but still U-G-L-Y! Would not put one in my garage EVER! Way to many beautiful cars that can match it out there for equal or less money! YMMV!

Here is my most recent addition to the garage...pales by comparison to all the cars you guys are posting, but it is the EASIEST car to get in and out of if you are in a wheelchair! Nothing better for me out there and I have tried a WHOLE BUNCH of car different cars!

This brings back memories. By far the best automotive "investment" I've ever made in my life.

Bought it for $2600. Put $1600 worth of maintenance into it. Drove it for 45,000 miles. Sold it for $2400.

Here's a photo from the day before I sold it. It was the first time in three years I had actually put a real coat of wax on it. Prior to this car I'd driven a '94 Cougar for five trouble-free years. Selling the Thunderbird was bittersweet, but my newly acquired g35 coupe was quite effective in easing the transition. :D

Attachments

• Front View Small.jpg
    Front View Small.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Maybe that idea is not so far-fetched!

From http://www.transmissionaudio.com...

500_Picture_03.jpg
Quadra

ribbon unit - the car audio version

Quadra - Car audio version

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Shown here is a Volvo V70 with Transmission Audio's Quadra ribbons mounted into the front door/windshield frames[/FONT].

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Utilizing the same reinforced ribbon membranes as in the Professional PA Series, these ribbons are extremely rugged and can take almost any abuse. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]They are perfect for use in cars where high SPL's and low distortion is mandatory. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Quadra car audio ribbons are delivered in matched pairs and comes in an aluminum casing, complete with matching transformers. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Minimum power requirements is 20Watts at 4 Ohm. Suitable for passive or active crossover at 1kHz or higher. [/FONT]
I have them in my car, and they sound tremendous.
God amps is a must.
I found a local dealer in Sweden that helped me.
You can find them here: http://www.seastreamsgarage.se/ribbon.html

Paul

Latest posts

Back