new ML Purity owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husk

Reaction score
hello fellow ML converts

Ive just bought second hand a pair of very new Purity's in the UK - a bargain at £1200, as they are now about £2900 new here!

The only down side so far was moving and storing the coffins they come in - UK houses are smaller than in the USA so the car is now kept outside the garage to make room for them!

Having previously owned Quad ESL63's Im captivated to rediscover that transparent mid / high range information coming ouut of these speakers - audience clapping is so realistic for instance - and female voices are wonderful - even from my modest Cambridge 840A integrated amp. I play mainly vinyl from my Michell Gyro SE / Technoarm / and soon to be Audio Technica 09 cartridge, and have discovered a whole new record collection to work through!

My only problem which I would welcome any advise on helping alleviate concerns bass - not a problem with the speakers but with my room.

I have a 15ft square lounge and have always had excess bass problems . I am experimenting a lot with positioning but any tips on best support for the speakers for instance would be appreciated. Do spikes help compared to the rubber feet, are there dedicated low stands which give air under the speakers , for instance?

thanks
husk

Read the threads or room accoustics on this web site. Is it possible for you to use some bass traps and/or absorbers such as Auralex or Owens Corning 705 FRK? Accoustic treatments can yield substantial improvements.

Gary

Hi husk,

Welcome back to the world of electrostats.

I had Puritys before and really loved them.
But being bitten by the bug I couldn't resist a pair of Ethos.

You might want to try something like this: http://www.sonicdesign.se/sdfeet.html

I used soft feet with my Puritys and it really tightened up the bass. Also the guy who bought them said the sound really improved with soft feet.
Just be careful that the sound doesn't get dull I experienced that with my Ethos so with those I'm back to spikes.

You could experiment with the softies under the rubber feet but it might also be a good ide to get hold of some spike tablets and use both spikes and soft feet (that was actually my approach)

Back