New Member with (probably unusual) question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NKokemohr

Reaction score
Hi all from La Jolla,

I have a tricky question: I just purchased a pair of Summit Xs for a hell of a deal, but it will be another year until they will be with my designated chain (Accuphase 408, Silent Wire LS32, T+A DAC, Wadia transport, all in all in the 16K$ range), don't ask why, it's a long story.

So in the meantime I will keep the Summit Xs in a small room and will need a CLOSE-TO-CRAP amp for the meantime, so I've purchased a Chinese tube amp with 2x48w in the 2000$ range (used for 875$, so I can sell at little loss in a year).

Will this work to play the Logans at low volume with decent quality, or can something awkward happen? Such as damages or totally wrong sound? And how crap can I go with the wires before ML sends the police?

Thanks in advance

Glad to be in the forum

Nils

Last edited:
As always it's a question of suck it and see. I used to have a 50 watt/ch Copland tube amp that provided decent sound out of my SL3's, but ultimately did not have enough power. Keep in mind, however that the Summit X, with it's powered woofer, is easier to drive.

I drive summits with an Aragon 8008 and am very happy with it - AB'd to lots of other amps, including Mac, and this was my preference. You might take a look at those as a cheap amp.

I drive summits with an Aragon 8008 and am very happy with it - AB'd to lots of other amps, including Mac, and this was my preference. You might take a look at those as a cheap amp.

I used a pair of Summit X's with a Denon 4308 AVR (as well as other AMPS) and found at low to moderate listening volumes they were still enjoyable. Once I strapped them to a Bryston 9BSST2 they really opened up though!

Hi All,

thanks for the replies! As I will just need an amplifier for 2-3 years, my little used chinese tube amp will probably do; it should arrive via mail in about 2 weeks. From what I conclude from your answers there is no risk of anything going badly wrong if the amp has too little wattage, right?

In theory, I could also just have the Summit X's standing around and waiting a year or two until I marry them withe my system back in Europe -- but I don't have superhuman willpowers ;-)

Nils

Back