New member, scammed by Amazon.com seller

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rancho Conejo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a father of two who resides in Thousand Oaks, California and a big ML fan. Two weeks ago I shopped for a ML center channel speaker and settled on the Motif. An Internet search brought me to Amazon.com, who sells them, as well as a few sellers. I chose a slightly used one (supposedly a week old) for $1116.99 total.

Order ID: 103-1839456-1769008
* Item: 1 of MartinLogan Motif High-Performance Electrostatic Speaker (Single, Center Channel, Black)

Anyway the speaker arrived a week later in a non descript box from the seller who also resides here in California. A few days passed and I opened the box and the speaker looked fine and all, but I was surprised there was no stand for it. Then I couldn't remember whether or not there was a stand to the motif or not. A few more days passed and I went to Magnolia and bough a pair of Vantages and some other gear. Anyway while browsing around I saw a motif and it had a stand. I spun it around looking to see how it was mounted and noticed the word motif was printed on the back along with a serial number. Guess what I did when I went home. I immediately checked the back of the speaker I received and found that it was a matinee not a motif. I was livid and now kicking myself for not noticing this earlier - like it would have mattered.

I emailed the seller but don't expect a response other than he may try and turn it around and pretend I'm trying to scam him. I fear I'm just screwed and there's nothing I can do about this. What a miserable experience. Any suggestions to get my money back? I'll never buy from amazon sellers again that's for sure!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 420
Any suggestions to get my money back? I'll never buy from amazon sellers again that's for sure!
I have bought stuff from many Amazon sellers (primarily CD's, though), and have never had a problem, apart from one instance when a DVD did not work in my player. I contacted the seller, and he reversed the charge without asking me to ship back the DVD.

If you paid using Paypal you can contact them.

If you bought from an "Amazon certified" seller (I forget the exact term), then Amazon WILL stand behind you. Shouldn't be a problem to rectify.

After much haggling and a contact with Amazon the seller decided to take the speaker back. How big of him. Amazon has a A to Z guarantee program that protects buyers from being scammed like this.

Back