New member, old sl 3 speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maritime

Reaction score
I have a pair of sl 3s bougt around 1997 I think. No problems, but they sound a little “thin.” Should I consider new panels or hearing aids? Yes, I retired recently. Thanks

If they sound thin then maybe it's not the panels, but you need new woofers?
Test your hearing.
I'm sure they could use a good tightening of all the screws and conectors inside, and make sure to find a way to stop the panels from slipping down and hanging from the wires.

Welcome aboard, depending on usage and the environment they have been in it's quite possible that the panels are nearing the end of their life.

Thanks, guys. I seldom use them. By thin, I mean the highs are still there, asis the low base, but they just seem lacking somehow. The sound stage is great.

Ah, the typical story of missing Mid-Bass. Some of that could be from an old and tired woofer, so replacing that 20 year-old driver would be a good first step.

But often the lack of mid-bass is due to dipole cancellation, so playing around with placement a bit can help, but more effective would be to place an absorber like a RealTraps MiniTrap HF on the wall behind the speaker to absorb the rear wave and dampen some of the canceling sounds in the 300 to 500Hz range.

But a very effective way of getting back some 'slam' is to deploy a nearfield Mid-Bass Module just behind your seat. I'll be posting a dedicated thread soon on that topic. But in summary, you get actual chest thump and your pants flap with the right kind of rock and dance music. But even on classical recordings, one gets the fullness of the cello and bass section, and the tympani has realistic impact. Nothing thin about that.

Ah, the typical story of missing Mid-Bass. Some of that could be from an old and tired woofer, so replacing that 20 year-old driver would be a good first step.

But often the lack of mid-bass is due to dipole cancellation, so playing around with placement a bit can help, but more effective would be to place an absorber like a RealTraps MiniTrap HF on the wall behind the speaker to absorb the rear wave and dampen some of the canceling sounds in the 300 to 500Hz range.

But a very effective way of getting back some 'slam' is to deploy a nearfield Mid-Bass Module just behind your seat. I'll be posting a dedicated thread soon on that topic. But in summary, you get actual chest thump and your pants flap with the right kind of rock and dance music. But even on classical recordings, one gets the fullness of the cello and bass section, and the tympani has realistic impact. Nothing thin about that.
Thanks for a cogent reply. This describes my subjective dilemma. I’m about to buy some KEF R909 speakers bu5 I’ve paused....

I use a Mcintosh c15 preamp and MC202 amp with a Rotel 990 cd. I listen to cds only, largely classical.

Back