New member from Quebec Canada

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legarem

Reaction score
Hello
I always dreamed to get a CLS pair. I have the possibility to get a CLSII pair.
I will post soon questions about what to look prior buying them.
Many told me to forget old ML ESL but some told me it depend if the panels were changed.
More on that with picts later.
Thanks

Hello
I always dreamed to get a CLS pair. I have the possibility to get a CLSII pair.
I will post soon questions about what to look prior buying them.
Many told me to forget old ML ESL but some told me it depend if the panels were changed.
More on that with picts later.
Thanks
Panel age is a definite concern IMO. The panels have their own serial # which can be used to date it. There is a sticky here I think that has the decoder. The speaker cabinet itself has its own serial number too.
Most panels last between 15 and 29 years I'd say. When they get old they put out low volume and lose the higher frequencies

Legarem,

Did you score the CLS speakers?
Wife and I went to Quebec City a month ago. Simply beautiful
What a gorgeous province.

Legarem,

Did you score the CLS speakers?
Wife and I went to Quebec City a month ago. Simply beautiful
What a gorgeous province.
Yes, I got them last week
I repaired the frame of one speaker which had an open wood joint and I installed them in the wood frame I had with them. They're powered in the 120 V since 8h00 yesterday. I will position them today and I will probably do my first listening tonight.

Here are picts of the CLS I have to place in my listening room. They have to dethrone my 3A Reference 2002 which were the best combination of planar and cone speakers. I loved them. Also a pict of my system. More on that after 24 hours of powering the CLS in the 120V Cls 3A.jpgsystème set up.jpg

Today was the day to try the setup. After fiddling with the placement, I finally placed them in the room with the calculations ML recommend. After, I adjusted the Descent I sub cut off frequency and phase with pink noise + analyser. The Descent I goes to 80 hz with the CLSII in my room. Normally, after doing measurements I 'finish' by ear. I didn't have to change too much from what I measured, Here are the results on my Phonic analyser. When you lived a long time with the same system, listening a 'new' setup is sometimes disconcerting. With the Classe DR15, I didn't like the sound. Even if it wasn't supposed to work (as written elsewhere) my little JOB 225 amp (Goldmund) drove the CLS with ease and surprising results. I like the results but I feel sound is lacking flesh mainly in the low mids compared to my 3A reference 2002. As is, I don't feel totally comfortable when listening to music .
Next: Trying the Melos tube monoblocks with the CLS. Tubes can perhaps tame what's bother me.Capture d’écran, le 2023-11-28 à 18.22.53.jpg

Last edited:
Well hope it works out for you.

I had two systems for a long time and always loved the easy efficiency and dynamics of big horn systems. I blame it on owning big JBL horns back in the 70's and still pine for JBL 4350's I passed on back when an average income could acquire them. After owning Koss electrostatic headphones in 70's and hearing a demo of Acoustat 2+2's and then a demo of the big Beveridge stats in the 80's I fell hard for electrostatic presentation of music.

Until recently I had modified Klipsch LaScala's with SVS subwoofers and used a Fisher 500c tube receiver to great effect. They were great for rock music and although I still preferred my Summits overall the easy dynamics of horns is hard for this listener to pass up. The 15a's gave me the easy big sound with much more refinement (although I prefer the word BEAUTY) and the LaScala's and SVS went down the road. However, I am using a tube preamp and big tube monoblocks for the 15 panels.

I fell hard for tubes and for me they are a ticket to bliss. I will put up with the cost, hassle, whatever as tubes sound superior to whatever solid state I ever had here in my place.

Enough about me, I hope you get those wonderful speakers set up to your liking and preferences.

Well hope it works out for you.

I had two systems for a long time and always loved the easy efficiency and dynamics of big horn systems. I blame it on owning big JBL horns back in the 70's and still pine for JBL 4350's I passed on back when an average income could acquire them.
10 years ago, I also had horns. An Onken with Altec 1005B and a JBL2405. All was triamplified with single ended triodes. I loved the easy efficiency but this system was 'fast' and (too) intransigent with music. if the recordings were not the best, you knew it fast and you had to listen another album . The system must be at the service of the music and not the opposite. I prefer something that irons out certain defects to achieve comfortable listening. I'm afraid I have the same dilemma with the CLS I had with the horns about this aspect.

No harm, no foul if they don't give you bliss the world is your oyster.

I listen primarily to rock music although I do enjoy exploring other genres. I much much prefer stats or horns to box speakers and the cost of really good box and cone speakers to match my listening preferences are into another price ballpark altogether.

Hope you end up joyous and find exactly the sound you are chasing.

Best wishes

10 years ago, I also had horns. An Onken with Altec 1005B and a JBL2405. All was triamplified with single ended triodes. I loved the easy efficiency but this system was 'fast' and (too) intransigent with music. if the recordings were not the best, you knew it fast and you had to listen another album . The system must be at the service of the music and not the opposite. I prefer something that irons out certain defects to achieve comfortable listening. I'm afraid I have the same dilemma with the CLS I had with the horns about this aspect.
Welcome EH. Sorry legarem both mine and my wife's family are from Canada. I realize in Quebec, probably not as much use of EH at the end of a sentence.

What you are describing is accurate for CLSs whether original, II, IIA or IIz. They will show any weakness upstream in your system. I only one I have not owned is the original.

It is a personal choice but for me tubes provides the best sound with them. From there I chose other pieces of equipment that reinforced the sound I wanted.

If the panels are in good condition and your are willing to try other equipment with them, should yours not provide the sound your ears are looking for. They may be exactly what you will happily live with for years.

Good Luck Brad

Back