New Logan Home Theater Set Up...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jamtek

Hi All:

Though I've been lurking for some time now, I have now officially joined the M-L "club" by outfitting my new home theater with M-Ls all around. While construction of my space is still underway, I now have all the components and am planning the wiring, going through owners manuals, etc. getting ready for final installation day.

My set up includes Mosaics as the front speakers, a Fresco as the center speaker (wall mounted under the 52" LCD), Vignettes for surrounds, and a Dynamo subwoofer. The AV receiver I'm using is a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi capable of 140 watts per channel. I heard this receiver powering the Mosaics at the dealer and loved it, hence the purchase. My question to all of you, as a relative audio novice, is an impedence question. My MLs all list their impedence at 5 ohms. My Pioneer manual says "we recommend using speakers rated at 8 ohms" but says "you can use speakers with a nominal impedence of 6 to 16 ohms..if you use speakers with a 6 ohm impedence rating, switch from the 8 ohm to 6 ohm setting." :confused: So, how should I handle this with my 5 ohm MLs?

--J

J, welcome ! congrats on the new set-up, switch your settings to 6ohms and you should be fine. What Pioneer is telling you is that like most receivers on the market today they really aren't very stable delivering to a speaker with nominal impedences that low. For HT use my Fresco and surrounds are powered by the smaller version of your receiver and they work fine.

JamTek

Looking forward to pics of your system. A 52" LCD should be very nice indeed! I have a 53" Pioneer elite PRO-510 right now w/ the HD module plugged into the back. Very nice rig. In fact I was doing some looking yesterday at REALLY BIG RPTV's and never saw anything better than what I am looking at right now. Bigger yea, but not better!

The LCD panel's I looked at (mostly just in passing as they are not the size I am looking for) were SUPER crisp! VERY NICE PICTURE! Your system will be GREAT!

Welcome to the ML ownership side of things. They are certainly some of the finest speakers for the money you can get!

All the best!

Thanks guys, for the follow-up replies. I'll stop worrying and just enjoy with the 6 ohm setting turned on. :cheers:

The 52" LCD is awesome--a full 1080p and truly the crispest picture I have ever seen. When the construction is finished I will post some pics of everything "in situ."

--J

Latest posts

Back