New JBL Planar Speakers for the Car

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rofl - I actually just clicked on this thread and was getting ready to post that exactly. Well, that and something about hearing your CLX combo. haha. Car looks awesome.

rofl - I actually just clicked on this thread and was getting ready to post that exactly. Well, that and something about hearing your CLX combo. haha. Car looks awesome.

Okay, how does this week look for you? Maybe meet after work and I can bring you in, the sharp shooters rarely shoot the driver behind me unless I flash my lights.

Hey Joe. - you live in Indiana? And it is April? You get snow tires thrown in. :)

So I'm guessing you have some POS Porsche sitting around you want to sell for cheap? Getting a tax break from the gov like the tesla? Where does that thing plug in anyway? :) Sorry I couldn't resist!! AWESOME ride!

Hi JM,

I assume this thread is about your speakers and not the car? Or am I being naive?

Haven't heard you comment much about those?

The pictures are confusing. Where are the speakers?

What music did you use to determine quality / performance?

What did you compare performance to?

I assume the background noise can be a bit much in that vehicle? What did you do to attenuate this noise?

GG

Last edited:
Okay, how does this week look for you? Maybe meet after work and I can bring you in, the sharp shooters rarely shoot the driver behind me unless I flash my lights.

I am fairly open - I will shoot you a PM.

Hi JM,

I assume this thread is about your speakers and not the car? Or am I being naive?

Haven't heard you comment much about those?

The pictures are confusing. Where are the speakers?

What music did you use to determine quality / performance?

What did you compare performance to?

I assume the background noise can be a bit much in that vehicle? What did you do to attenuate this noise?

GG

Gordon,

The comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. Since the new Planar speaker panels are wrapped in high grade leather and carbon fiber and oh yeah 458 sheet metal, it was too tempting.

As to where the speakers are located, they are in the door panel, blending quite nicely and also built in to the dash and finally accross the rear wall of the car behind the seats.

My point was that to my knowledge this was the first car I had seen with Planar or Electrostatic speakers. It does sound pretty good, and by that I mean I listened to some of my best reference DVD Audio in 5.1 surround sound and it was not half bad. The environment tends to overwhelm you at times, this car is unlike any machine I have ever been in and the machine user interface is incredible. It does have buttons that control the behavior of the car which takes it from a one extreme to the other. One minute it is a full blown race car with open exhaust and you really can't hear the stereo, just the blood rushing thru your brain and the next second it is as quiet as a Lexus and it sounds like a concert hall. Truly an amazingly versatile car.

But back to the sound system, it was just so unique and possible the first of its kind, and yeah it was wrapped in the 458 Italia so I thought it was worth mentioning, even if I did do it a little tongue in cheek.

Last edited:
If you guys want to read about an all out car stereo system that won just about every competition ever entered, check this out. The speakers rose out of the dash and were motorized to be laser aligned with the driver's ears. Earl is as serious an audiophile and music lover as I've ever met; some if not most would say he's a fanatic's fanatic. He has owned several ultra high end home audio systems, ranging from Infinity Servo-Statiks to a full Levinson HQD system. The man has a genius IQ yet is very unassuming.

Enjoy.

If you guys want to read about an all out car stereo system that won just about every competition ever entered, check this out. The speakers rose out of the dash and were motorized to be laser aligned with the driver's ears. Earl is as serious an audiophile and music lover as I've ever met; some if not most would say he's a fanatic's fanatic. He has owned several ultra high end home audio systems, ranging from Infinity Servo-Statiks to a full Levinson HQD system. The man has a genius IQ yet is very unassuming.

Enjoy.

No offense Brian, but you can have all the awards you want, I would rather have the system that can do what is pictured above.:D

Hi JM,

Thanks for the details.

What is the name of the speaker manufacturer? Haven't heard of a stat company that produces a car speaker.

What do you have for amplifier power?

Subwoofers, head unit, EQ?

Gordon

Nice Car, JMAUSGP!!!!!

Are you even going to bother to listen closely to that stereo, or will you just be listening to your engine roar as your heart is racing and you are smiling from ear to ear?

Personally, I have never found a good reason to spend much on a car stereo. If you are engaged in driving, and this is what this type of car is for, you can't really concentate on the music. And then, of course, there is the source. I recently auditioned the Bang Olufsen in a very expensive sedan. It was kind of disappointing using Sirius satellite as the source and comparing to my electrostat system and a "fancy, upgraded Bose" from another car as my references. Maybe cd's sound better, but I saved the $6K!

Enjoy every fraction of a second!!!

No offense Brian, but you can have all the awards you want, I would rather have the system that can do what is pictured above.:D
I would probably spend far more time listening to the car than the audio in a high performance automobile. When it comes to car audio, though, Earl did it right, leaving no stone unturned. He did it for himself first and foremost, to push the boundaries. That is his nature. You might go back and read the articles.

Hi JM,

Thanks for the details.

What is the name of the speaker manufacturer? Haven't heard of a stat company that produces a car speaker.

What do you have for amplifier power?

Subwoofers, head unit, EQ?

Gordon

I still haven't figured out if you're joking tongue in cheek or just being an *******? :-\ An emoticon or something might help. lol

My point was that to my knowledge this was the first car I had seen with Planar or Electrostatic speakers.

If this is what i am thinking of, then actually, JBL first debut this speaker tech in the Toyota FJ Cruiser in 2007!! The producer of the speaker is NXT. In the FJ, the headliner actually serves as a diaphragm for the two transducers. Here is an old article on NXT speakers: http://www.epinions.com/content_1580834948

OH yeah, your car is awesome! Hopefully, you won't get too many speeding tickets!! Time to buy a V1! :rocker:

Hocky,

Never heard of a planar car speaker. Not being a jerk. Just curious. Sorry JM, you already told us the speaker manufacturer.

GG

Not sure if things have changed since 2007, but the NXT speakers used in the FJ were more for ambience (support speakers), rather than main speakers.

Back