New from Dallas with a small ML start.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narvarr

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just started my journey with ML about a week ago. I have always heard good things about electrostatic speakers and always wanted to hear some. Well, 2 weeks ago I ordered a Panny 60" plasma and figured it was time to replace the ole' KLH PRO-71 mains with something more "high end". I had already been looking into buying a used pair of Magnapan's but wasn't sure if I would like them. Went to Best Buy's Magnolia room to see what they had and audition the Motion 10's. The salesman took me straight to a pair of B&W's and just knew I would fall in love with them. After pointing out the 2 flaws with the B&W's that I noticed right off (narrow stage and chest high imaging), I noticed a pair of ESL 8's behind me and I asked if I could hear them. Well, the rest is history. I can't afford full size electrostat's right now so I have 3 Encore TF's that just arrived that will be used for L/C/R. Future plans are for a pair of Aerius (i) with a Motif for CC and move the Encore's to the rear for surround duty.

Welcome narvarr. Tell you what, come on down to my place in Round Rock and I'll give you a pair of Aerius, in stellar condition, for $100. Send me a PM if you are interested.

That's very generous of you Steve !

What are you planning to replace them with? CLX ?

Last edited:
narvarr welcome, looks like Steve is your new bestest friend Steve, thats a hell of a handshake.

That's very generous of you Steve !

What are you planning to replace them with? CLX ?

On 8/23/10, I put Wilson Watt Puppy 8s into my system. I had thought of buying CLX, but I don't think they would have done as well in my small(er) dedicated room. Also, I didn't want to have to deal with subs and after fifteen years with Martin Logan, I just wanted a change. As I have stated before, I had heard WP8s, MBLs, Focals, Vandersteen and others at various RMAFs and I loved the Wilson sound, so when the opportunity for a great deal came along, I jumped at it. I was holding onto the Aerius, in order to set up a second system, I have more than enough gear for it! However, I would always rather listen to my main system, so I decided to basically just give them away to someone planning on buying Aerius anyway. The $100 is just to keep it honest.

after fifteen years with Martin Logan, I just wanted a change.
I must say I don't understand the concept; I could not see myself moving away from ML. Earlier this year I listened to some mighty fine MBL's at the Montreal show, but change from ML ? Nah!

On 8/23/10, I put Wilson Watt Puppy 8s into my system. I had thought of buying CLX, but I don't think they would have done as well in my small(er) dedicated room. Also, I didn't want to have to deal with subs and after fifteen years with Martin Logan, I just wanted a change. As I have stated before, I had heard WP8s, MBLs, Focals, Vandersteen and others at various RMAFs and I loved the Wilson sound, so when the opportunity for a great deal came along, I jumped at it. I was holding onto the Aerius, in order to set up a second system, I have more than enough gear for it! However, I would always rather listen to my main system, so I decided to basically just give them away to someone planning on buying Aerius anyway. The $100 is just to keep it honest.

Hi Steve,

It's not clear if you auditioned Spires or Summits or Summit X as a replacement for your Aerius. Many of us (me included) feel there's no need to augment any of those models with subwoofers and you get the latest Xstat panel technology etc etc etc. So, did ya?

Hi Steve,

It's not clear if you auditioned Spires or Summits or Summit X as a replacement for your Aerius. Many of us (me included) feel there's no need to augment any of those models with subwoofers and you get the latest Xstat panel technology etc etc etc. So, did ya?

Yes, I have listened to Spires and Summits and they are great speakers, but like I said I really fell for the Wisons and also just wanted a change. If, at some point I feel the need, I can always go back to ML.

I must say I don't understand the concept; I could not see myself moving away from ML. Earlier this year I listened to some mighty fine MBL's at the Montreal show, but change from ML ? Nah!

What's to understand? I heard Wilsons and wanted to listen to them more. If I had found a great deal on some MBLs, I might have gone with those. The point is, there is more than one way, or brand of speaker, to enjoy music.

Thanks Steve! Looks like Christmas came early this year. You have been PM'ed sir.

What's to understand? I heard Wilsons and wanted to listen to them more.
Steve the way you worded it (and I could not understand it) was that you wanted a change from ML so you listened to other stuff, rather than you heard something else and then decided to change.

Steve the way you worded it (and I could not understand it) was that you wanted a change from ML so you listened to other stuff, rather than you heard something else and then decided to change.

Ha ha. It was actually that I listened to other speakers and also wanted a change.

Ha ha. It was actually that I listened to other speakers and also wanted a change.

When I tried going back to dynamic speakers after a long stint with SL3s and then Maggie 3.6r (first with SF Amati Homage, then with Gallo Ref 3.1)... I loved what they did right (especially the Gallo), but I always missed the panel sound... it just seems so relaxed and authentic compared to dynamic transducers. Regardless, I hope you find many blissful hours of listening to your WPs.

Cheers

When I tried going back to dynamic speakers after a long stint with SL3s and then Maggie 3.6r (first with SF Amati Homage, then with Gallo Ref 3.1)... I loved what they did right (especially the Gallo), but I always missed the panel sound... it just seems so relaxed and authentic compared to dynamic transducers. Regardless, I hope you find many blissful hours of listening to your WPs.

Cheers

Thanks. I've had them over a year now and I don't feel like I'm missing much of anything, it's been plusses all the way. The important thing is to find what works for you, right? I still get a big grin when I hear the first note, whenever I sit down for a listen, so I'm happy.

Thanks. I've had them over a year now and I don't feel like I'm missing much of anything, it's been plusses all the way. The important thing is to find what works for you, right? I still get a big grin when I hear the first note, whenever I sit down for a listen, so I'm happy.

Awesome... and absolutely agree 100% it's what works for you! I'm listening to some Beggie Adair right now... god I love that woman.

Narvarr you will be very happy with the Aerius. I ran CLS for over 10 years and then Prodigy in my home theater. The Prodigy are now in a 2-channel system, as I've moved to large format horns for home theater. Many roads to audio nirvana. Some good, some bad, some the same and all different.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Looks like I will be the proud owner of Aerius' next week thanks to Steve. My Encore TF's came in yesterday so I will have a full ML HT setup. Boy, I can hardly wait! Next upgrade I'll be looking into is a better receiver.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I drove down to Round Rock today with my two sons and $100 in hand to take Steve up on his generous offer. WELL WORTH THE 3 HOUR DRIVE! Steve had the Aerius' waiting for me just inside the doorway and his "stellar condition" description is a gross understatement! These babies are GORGEOUS! I couldn't be happier with this deal. He took me up to his listening room and went over some basics on speaker placement and room treatment application before before firing up the WP8s. If you ever get an opportunity to hear some of these...TAKE IT! These sound like no other dynamic cone style speaker I have ever heard. Granted, my experience with higher quality home audio is limited, but coming from a SQ oriented car audio background, I have heard my fair share of speakers.
Once again, Thank you Steve for your time and generosity and I look forward to meeting you again soon.
Hopefully, I can get get a system thread posted tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back