New Ethos ESL on ML website

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapmustang

Reaction score
Just a heads up, ML posted the information on their mystery speaker that was shown at one of the audio shows a couple months ago on their site. It looks pretty nice and I definitely like the flamed teak finish. I had been eyeing some Spires, but these will be a little easier to squeeze into the budget. I hope they compare pretty close to the Spires in performance.

Yes those do look nice. Curious about the new crossover. I just went from Vantage to Spire and the bigger panel is just better in my opinion, it gives you that extra stage and depth. I would recommend a bigger panel, but who knows maybe these new bad boys can deliver.

In January I posted a link with the first ever video of ML Ethos. A scoop if there is one. Nobody seemed to give it much interest although the introduction was in english. Well, I was right all along, here comes Ethos as reported. Just copy and click the link below and scroll down to Martin Logan:

http://www.hificlube.net/Sections/Details.aspx?articleID=23448&sectionID=7

All the best for Club Members

With the addition of the Ethos, ML has a pretty nice lineup. The only thing that I would like (perhaps) is something the size of the Summit without an internal amp.

With the addition of the Ethos, ML has a pretty nice lineup. The only thing that I would like (perhaps) is something the size of the Summit without an internal amp.

You are aware of the Spire I assume. But it does have an amp for the woofer.

Seems to be everything one could want.

What do you have against amplified woofers?

You are aware of the Spire I assume. But it does have an amp for the woofer.

Seems to be everything one could want.

Yes I am aware of the Spire. The answer to your second question is, I don't know. Having heard the Spire, Summit and Summit X (all briefly) there is something that I don't like about the low end. I just can't explain it and yes they were set up properly by a long time ML dealer. When I heard these speakers properly (I thought) augmented by Descents, I was in audio nirvana. Go figure.

I have a problem with amplified woofers - if the amplifier goes bust the speaker is effectively bust; you cannot just substitute a new amp and keep going.

In line with that I was wondering if anyone here has had an internal amp fail.

I have a problem with amplified woofers - if the amplifier goes bust the speaker is effectively bust; you cannot just substitute a new amp and keep going.

In line with that I was wondering if anyone here has had an internal amp fail.

Understood, but that a spurious issue. Since I bi-amp, if my woofer amp blows, my system is down until I can get it fixed as well.

Even if I have a spare amp (unless identical to the one that blew), I'd still be down, as I'd have to totally recalibrate to the replacement amp.

I do have spare amps, but none I'd press into duty while the main woofer amp was being fixed. So it'd make no difference if it was internal or external, the system would be down.

Of the active speakers I'm familiar with (Merdian's and Genelecs) amp failure rate is vanishingly low. A major advantage of a vertically integrated system is that the designer can ensure that target performance parameters are not exceeded.

It's one of the benefits of the new Ethos DSP, as it can apply limiters and other tricks to ensure everything stays within normal operating parameters.

Last edited:
Yes I am aware of the Spire. The answer to your second question is, I don't know. Having heard the Spire, Summit and Summit X (all briefly) there is something that I don't like about the low end. I just can't explain it and yes they were set up properly by a long time ML dealer. When I heard these speakers properly (I thought) augmented by Descents, I was in audio nirvana. Go figure.

My take has always been that pretty much all speakers in the line-up require sub augmentation if placed in reasonable sized rooms.
Therefore a model with good mid-bass performance like the Spire, is a good choice to mate with a pair of Descents.

With two subs, you place them for optimal room coupling, such as center front and center rear (based on extensive research by Harman Intl.), then position the Spires for best soundstage.

And if you want true nirvana, apply room correction to the entire system, or at the very least to the bass. It's a whole 'nother experience. :cool:

Last edited:
Has anyone had a chance to audition the Ethos yet? I haven't seen any on the members systems forum. If so, any comparisons against the Spire or Vantage?

Well, I guess I will have to start then.
Had the opportunity to listen to a pair of Ethos yesterday att the "Arken" exhibition in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Considering it was at an exhibition I must say: me like.
First they were connected to Bladelius Embla and Bladelius new power amp.

Even though the sound was good with a very good integration between panel and base it was something about the sound that wasn't really to my liking, a slight harshness!!! Might be that I am extremely sensitive to this.
First thought was that they might need some more time, they had about a hundred hours.
But, then tubes came in. Even though it was a relatively modest Cayin integrated they really started to sing. :music:
I won't go into details since it was an exhibition. But I must say that I prefered them to the Wilson Maxx I also had the possibility to audition. Guess I have caught electrostaticitis.

Conclusion then, well, let me put it this way: my local ML dealer was also present and I asked him to give me an offer with my Puritys as a trade-in.
Let's see what the next chapter of this never ending story will be.

Hej Hej Stefan,

I passed through Malmo in July. Didn't have a chance to stop though. :(

I'm surprised you got to hear the Ethos. As I understand it, they aren't even 100% complete yet and are still many months from entering the market! Word on the grape vine is that they are quite bad ass. I can't wait to get my ears on a set. :)

Apparently they were the first pair to arrive in Europe. My dealer (strange sound to that) said he would have a pair end of this month. Hope I will be able to try them out at home

Btw, next time you are in Malmö, please let me know

Stefan,

Will do. Meanwhile, you're gunna have to post pics of your setup once the new toys arrive! I look forward to seeing the pics!

Hello,
It is interesting that it weighs 10 Pounds lighter than the Vantage. (52 Pounds versus 42 Pounds) The Panel/Woofer Crossover is 25 Hz lower on the Ethos (375 Hz versus 400 Hz) and both Speakers have the same Frequency Range. (34-23,000 Hz) The Ethos does have a slightly larger Panel.

I really do like the Teak Finish as well and am quite interested to hear what gains there will be from the use of DSP Correction.
Cheers,
JJ

A pair of Ethos ordered and will arrive on Friday.
Went for a second listen today and they played really nice with a Quad set up.
2*15W Tubes.
Can't wait to hook them up with my Dialogue sevens.

Went past the store today, they have arrived :rocker:
Unfortunately I have to go on a business trip. :mad:
But they will be delivered on Friday so it sounds like a perfect day for a one day vacation :banana:

I have ordered a pair of mice too http://www.entreq.com/default.asp?PageId=1924
Jumbo size of course, cant have anything else on American speakers

Last edited:
Back