New Electromotions or used Vistas?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njpozner

Reaction score
I've recently fallen under the spell of Martin Logan, and would love to get a pair in the near future. I have to be somewhat budget conscious though, or at least as budget conscious as one can be when spending $2k on speakers. I have a potential line on some used Vistas, which would be a few hundred cheaper than a new set of Electromotions. How different are the two lines, really? What would you all do?

Last edited:
Let me ask another way... my inclination is to go with the ElectroMotions, for the warranty and to eliminate the inherent uncertainty that comes when dealing with used goods. Are there any compelling reasons to prefer the Vistas? Thanks for your feedback!

Hola. To my ears, the new Electromotions are close to the Vistas. On the other hand, the Vistas offer better overall tonality. The Electromotions that I listened were not break in totally. Both are fine product and you will be very pleased owing one of them. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Bigger panel....

Vista panel (40" x 9.3") vs (34" x 8.6") for the EM.
The Vista seems harder to drive than the EM though.

I'd factor in new panels into the Vista price (just to be safe), then you get a fairer comparison.

I've acquired used ML's for over 20 years and in that time I've only acquired one new product, a pair of Vista's. Don't let the naysayers persuade you against used goods. The reality is the prices of used Vista's and Vantages have fallen off the planet over the past year. A pair of Vantages sold days ago on that bay place for $1400 - not the norm but it happens. Odyssey's sold y'day for $1900, and Vantages are commonly for sell at that A place through dealers in new/unopened box for $2400.

In all my time of buying used components to better my systems never have I had a single problem with a 'used' ML product. Same goes for the countless number of pre's, amps, turntables that have come and gone the past 20 years. When it comes to buying a $10k amp or preamp I'll not buy that item new, but at $3k 'used' I'll give it strong consideration. It's how the average individual can sample some of the best that's available in this hobby - buying used. I've over 400 feedback at that A place, and over 200 at the bay, so perhaps that tells you my thoughts on 'used' goods. It's a practical way to build a stellar system on a budget.

Certainly with buying used comes a risk, but after weighing the pluses and by acquiring from solid individuals who are parting with components that are in fabulous shape simply because they've got the bug, aka upgradeitus, you'll laugh all the way to the bank and chuckle next time you hear a naysayer chiming in with their fear factor against buying used.

Buy a used pair, save your money, or spend the savings on another system component, music, or simply do something special for/with that special someone in your life. That's my .02. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back