New ElectroMotion vs Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirnice

Reaction score
I purchased the Source recently and thinking about upgrading to either the new ElectroMotion or the Vantage. The Vantage cost more than the EM.

What do you guys think has a better audio quality? I'm leaning toward the Vantage after reading all the reviews. Not many reviews on the EM.

Thank you in advance.

there are possible combinations here

1. electromotion vs vantage ----- vantage wins especially in lower frequencies.

2. electromotion with subwoofer vs vantage(no sub) ----- electromotions wins

3. electromotion with subwoofer vs vantage with subwoofer - vantage wins but close.

if you already have a good subwoofer, go with electromotion and save some money.

if your room is very big, then go with vantage.

3. electromotion with subwoofer vs vantage with subwoofer - vantage wins but close.

if you already have a good subwoofer, go with electromotion and save some money.

I can get the Vantage within $100 of the EM, thats why it's such a hard choice but it's about 5 years old. I don't know if age is an issue with electrostatic speakers. I've never heard the Vantage in action but EM sounded pretty good at Best Buy running off the Pioneer Elite 32 (VSX-1120).

What about higher frequencies (aka above 400hz)? General consensus I have read is bigger panel is better.

As for the used issue...find out cost of new panel and factor that in. I'm sure you are still not that far off from a new Electromotion.

Bigger panel, powered woofer...what's not to like :).

I can get the Vantage within $100 of the EM, thats why it's such a hard choice but it's about 5 years old. I don't know if age is an issue with electrostatic speakers. I've never heard the Vantage in action but EM sounded pretty good at Best Buy running off the Pioneer Elite 32 (VSX-1120).

Well, I love the sound of the ESL and do own a pair. If you can get a mint pair for only $100 difference that is a no brainer for me. Warr, will become an issue only if the speakers were not taken care of. Either way both are excellent speakers. But when people compare price and savings it is ironic when they compare new to used. Listening of course is key to picking out a speaker and seeing the condition of them, I almost bought a pair of Vantages and decided not to, and the other buyer who bought them is ****ed as they were all nicked up. You should hear them on a good Int. Amp or Amp, even better yet! :)

Last edited:

Hello,
If the difference is that, I completely agree that it is a no brainer. Especially if using an AVR to drive them, the 200 Watt ICE Amplifiers in the Vantage both make the Speaker more efficient and an easier load. Not to mention that it retails for almost triple the price, uses a Active Aluminum Woofer as opposed to a passive Paper Woofer and more.

I have had my Vantages for almost 5 years and have not had a single issue. Moreover, I really do not remember seeing any Posts here that discuss any issues with the Vantage.

I would call MartinLogan. They are some of the nicest people out there and will gladly answer all queries. Don't get me wrong, the EM-ESL is an awesome value, but I would jump on the Vantages if you can find them for 2100 Dollars.
While they have been selling fairly low, I have not seen many selling for that little.
Cheers,
JJ

Hello,
If the difference is that, I completely agree that it is a no brainer. Especially if using an AVR to drive them, the 200 Watt ICE Amplifiers in the Vantage both make the Speaker more efficient and an easier load. Not to mention that it retails for almost triple the price, uses a Active Aluminum Woofer as opposed to a passive Paper Woofer and more.

I have had my Vantages for almost 5 years and have not had a single issue. Moreover, I really do not remember seeing any Posts here that discuss any issues with the Vantage.

I would call MartinLogan. They are some of the nicest people out there and will gladly answer all queries. Don't get me wrong, the EM-ESL is an awesome value, but I would jump on the Vantages if you can find them for 2100 Dollars.
While they have been selling fairly low, I have not seen many selling for that little.
Cheers,
JJ

I meant to type $1000 no $100. sorry.

Back