New Electromotion or Used higher model

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trophoto

Reaction score
Hey all. I am finally considering replacing my beloved Aerius I speakers that I have had for about 10 years. The natural replacement is the new Electromotion ESL. But then I started perusing Agon (always a bad idea) and thought about maybe a used pair of Vistas or Vantages. Those with newer panels, do you think it's better to go new and smaller or up to 5 years old and bigger. I know either will be an improvement over my Aerius but I want to get the best bang for buck because these will be with me for a while like my current ones have.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Buying new means you get a warranty from ML. But, buying used means you can potentially get more bang for your buck.

I've not heard the electromotions yet, so I can't really compare them to Vistas or Vantages.... That's where I would start... Let your ears decide what sounds best to you... if going used, ask lots of questions and try to find a local seller so you can inspect the speakers and hear them first before you buy... and factor in what it could cost to get the panels replaced... ML panels have a long lifespan IF taken care of properly...

Good Luck!

Tom.

Thanks for the input Tom. I am going audition the Electromotions this weekend but finding a local pair of vistas or vantages might be difficult.

Another concern is that my room is 11.5 wide by 12 so maybe the vantage or vista may be too big.

Last edited:
Short of actually owning a pair of ElectroMotions I do have a fair amount of experience with it. I personally love the EMESL, and they are a big sound improvement over older models. That being said I bought a pair of Theos recently. The EM-ESL sounds great, but I strongly feel like the Vista and/or Vantage is a better sounding speaker.

Like I said I have a pair of Theos in an area about 12' in the front 15' to the back and I feel like it works fanatically.

Buy new if you can. I was looking at buying used my self, but the attraction of new warranty and the latest panel developments made buying the brand new Theos model an easy choice.

My room size is about 20 feet by 18 feet.

Newer panels are a big consideration for me. But as far as panel technology is concerned don't the EM-ESLs use the same panel as the vista and vantage just a bit smaller?

Newer panels are a big consideration for me. But as far as panel technology is concerned don't the EM-ESLs use the same panel as the vista and vantage just a bit smaller?

Yeah, I think they do use the same panel technology. There's nothing wrong with the EM-ESLs, which are a bargain for the sound quality vs cost - and they come with new warranty.

Trophoto, where in Fl are you? I am in the Tampa area and have just set up a pair of EM's in our living room for TV sound. If you are not to far away and want to listen in a home environment send me a PM here.

Brad

Thanks Brad for the offer. Im in Ft. Lauderdale. I dont get over to your coast very much at all.

How do you like the EMs? What did you have before them?

Happy New Year

Most recently I used my CLSIIz's for TV/HT when the TV was in the same room with my 2 channel gear. Prior to that I used SL3's in the system.
The TV has been moved to a new living room and the CLSIIz's will stay in what will become a dedicated listening room once I finish the rest of the renovations.

The EM's have a much larger sound stage than I had expected based on their size. Good imaging and great bass without over powering the mids and highs.
With the XSTAT panel their dynamics are much like the SummitX and CLX I have heard, just on a much smaller scale.

I chose the EM's for their size (WAF) since I had already agreed to not have anything but in wall speakers in the room. When I started looking at placement of in wall for the front speakers it would not work out with the furniture the TV is in so the boss said she would rather have the furniture and live with smaller floor standing speakers.

If I had not been trying to pick the smallest speaker I would have probably gone with the Vista's. The Vista's are only about 5" taller and a bit less than 2" wider but they have about 100 sq. in. (if I read the information correctly) of XSTAT panel and that would make a big difference in their sound.

I think your room would be fine with either one of those speakers. I don't think you would need to spend the extra money on the Vantages to get the powered low end.

There is a pair of Vista's on Audiogon in Cape Coral Fl. right across the state from you and they are asking $1275. The listing has been on for 31 days so you may have the ability to negotiate. Even if you should need panels in a few years I think you would be getting more for your money.

You have not mentioned what electronics you are using now but possibly upgrading with the money you saved may get you even better sound. Too many options as usual. I have heard smaller speakers driven by very good electronics with some amazing results.

I friend had Aeon's in one of his systems and mated them with his Joldia tube amp and then his Electrocompaniet (sp) mono blocks and the sound from the Aeon's was amazing. I think often people never really get the most out of the speakers they own before changing them.

I am not saying you should keep Aerius I's as the dynamics of the XSTAT panel is a big difference from the older panel design.

Figuring it out is half the enjoyment. Good luck with your quest.

Thanks Brad. I saw that Agon listing in Cape Coral but they guy apparently decided to keep them and not sell. Too bad.

As for electornics I am running a PS Audio HCA2 with a PS Audio PCA2 pre. Sources are Nottingham Innerspace with Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge through a McCormack Micro Phono Drive, Sony C555ES SACD player and PowerMac G5 as music server. I happy with my electronics and what they do with the Aerius.

Yeah its a process and a fun one for those of us who lean toward the OCD.;)

Cheers
Craig

Based on the current equipment you are using I think you will be happier with the Vista's. The larger XSTAT panel will give you a much better sound in my opinion. Be patient and keep looking. If you have not done any acoustical treatments in the room try some while you are looking for new speakers. Most here will tell you it is like upgrading all of your gear.

happy looking
Brad

kbn has a sweet pair of Vantages for sale here on the forum, depending on his price that's the route I'd likely take.

Craig,

I have a beautiful pair of Maple Vistas here in Cocoa Beach. All boxes and paperwork. Perfect shape. I upgraded to Spires and these are too nice for my office. I'll take whatever the panel here thinks is a fair-good price. I could deliver for a little extra.

Ray

Back