New CLS panels...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownlo

Reaction score
Are the current replacement CLS panels "universal" for all CLS versions, or do you get a different panel specific to the type of CLS electronics module you have? I just ordered a new pair (waiting for their arrival) for my CLS I's and am curious....

Only one replacement version is available

and that's the latest one, made for the CLS IIz. However it works fine with all the electronics modules and fits any of the oak frames, which are all the same. I know a couple of CLS owners who say the great combo is the original electronics with the latest panels (which is what you will have) but I have not heard that setup in the flesh, and probably couldn't tell the difference(s) unless I heard them in my own system anyway :rolleyes:
Are the current replacement CLS panels "universal" for all CLS versions, or do you get a different panel specific to the type of CLS electronics module you have? I just ordered a new pair (waiting for their arrival) for my CLS I's and am curious....

Actually, if I remember correctly there are 2 replacement panels, one for the older cls model and one for the cls IIz. I have the old electronics with a new "old" replacement panel. If you do not run a subwoofer it was my understanding that the new old replacement panel was a better match with the old electronics. I didn't have a choice as I purchased my speakers with the panels replaced otherwise I would have opted for the IIz panel, since I pair my CLS's with a Descent sub. You can tell the difference between the two panels. The new old panels are not right/left specific like the IIz panel.

New old panels?

I'm not going to question the "new old panels" information because I haven't actually had that discussion w/ Jim Power lately. However a number of folks here have mentioned that the CLS IIz panels were the only replacements available anymore? I think it would be a good idea to confirm it one way or another with Jim: [email protected]

And the winner is....

mosttoysrk...

I just got off the phone with Jim and he confirmed that there are 2 replacement panels for the CLS line.

The first is for the CLS I
The second is for the CLS II* (*all iterations).

Jim stated that the replacement panels are "optimized" for the electronics module you have and that the CLS II replacement panels are actually less efficient than the I's...on top of being L/R imaged unlike the CLS I replacement panels.

When asked which one he thought sounded better, he said without a doubt that the....[end of transmission].

slownlo,
You will love the difference new panels make, just be sure to not expect much when you first listen to them. They definitely need quite a few hours to break in....
Happy Listening.

Back