New classical label

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thank you for the lead. I will definitely check out and report back.

The concept (KISS) is quite valid and was used by Wilma Cozart and Bob Fine when they recorded the Mercury Living Presence works back in the late 50's and early 60's. A couple of labels that currently ascribe to simple microphone techniques are MA Recordings and Caro Mitis. No mixing, minimal miking, and a much more natural sound.

Best,

Gordon

I find that many live classical concerts have incidental sounds associated with the audience.

I suppose the two mic concept will work in a hall that is acoustically accurate. Some older concert halls may not be acoustically consistent and the sound more dependent on where you are located. This may not matter as much for a small ensemble, but may with a larger orchestra.

I do not agree with the argument that the conductor does not have control over the sound in a studio, or that the control is better experienced live. I assume that they believe that if the mike is close to an instrument that is playing softly in some passage that it will be artificially increase in volume on play back. That cannot happen in the live two-mic recording. Just does not sound like a reasonable argument to me.

If anyone buys one of these, let us know what you think.

Again, I've heard great things and lousy things done with minimalist miking. I do think he's got a couple of sample tracks to download, so what the heck?

how does less mics equal better sound?

Jim,

The simple answer, assuming all other things being equal, is purity of sound (minimizing the mixing / processing stage of the actual recording) as one would experience in a live, concert hall environment.

As with most things audio, the devil is in the details.

Having an ever growing list of classical CD's (SACD and Redbook), I can tell you there is a shocking difference between labels and recordings.

I'm sure other folks will say the same things regarding their particular choice of music genres.

However and IMHO, classical music really exposes all those things that we talk about, such as imaging, dimensionality, dynamics, etc. due to its fundamental nature, more so than other types of music.

GG

Last edited:
Gordon,
Not to get too off topic..
For those of us that would like to sample some good classical recordings.. what labels do you recommend for quality recordings.. can you recommend some redbook & SACD's?? Maybe a 'must have list for dummies' :)
Would appreciate any advice to expand my listening horizons.

Gordon,
Not to get too off topic..
For those of us that would like to sample some good classical recordings.. what labels do you recommend for quality recordings.. can you recommend some redbook & SACD's?? Maybe a 'must have list for dummies' :)
Would appreciate any advice to expand my listening horizons.

I'm not Gordon, but I can strongly recommend the early RCAs and Mercuries. Check out Lt Kije, Scherezade (both with Fritz Rainer conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra) especially. I have them on vinyl, and presumably the remasters supervised by Wilma Cozart-Fine are almost as good.

the shaded dog RCA are quite good and can sometimes be found at thrift stores and the such (a GOOD cleaning is recommended :)

it's amazing what some people throw out...

Latest posts

Back