New amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I decided to take a big plunge today. I called my local dealer and inquired about a pair of McIntosh 501's. He gave me a terrific price and could not say no. So, I get to pick them up tomorrow morning. I just wish it wasn't a 2 hour drive both ways.

Gordon

Gordon, those should be incredible sounding.

How far into the drive back before you will not be able to resist taking a look inside the boxes.

Keep us posted on your progress installing them.

They look like they are brutes! Love the 3 dimensional glass.

You're gonna be having some fun later today...

Attachments

• Mc501.jpg
    Mc501.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 495
Just beautiful. Martin logans and McIntosh has good synergy. Enjoy!!!:music::rocker:
Jim

Picked up the 501's today. It was toughest 2 hours I've driven in a long time!

The living room is a mess and they are not in the cabinet. I ordered a BillyBags rack today which will replace the monster cabinet. (hope I don't get sued for that)

They have been playing about 3.5 hours and frankly, I'm absolutely stunned. I'm looking forward to to the next several weeks. I've heard them before many times but not in my house. What a difference from my 352! The piano is much crisper, cymbals have an excellent attack and decay. Those are only a few of the highlights so far.

I don't have my sub hooked up right now, and I'm not certain I will. The bass seemed to blossom with the new amps.

The 352 was traded in on the deal. I got nearly what I paid for it 2.5 years ago. I'm going to try and post a picture.

IMG_03491.jpg

IMG_03501.jpg

Thats so freaking beautiful- I wish I had a budget that allowed for such great amps! Congrats! Now its time to change your sig!

I've been running these amps about 4 hours a day on the weekdays and 8 hours a day over the past 2 weekends for about 50 hours total. I sat down this morning to have my joe and turned it on. I haven't really sat down and listened over the past week, just had them on for some music.

The Mac guys over at AudioKarma said to give them about 35 -40 hours. I really wasn't sold on this burn in idea since my gear was used until I purchased the mono's new. I had thought my 352 was a little warmer, which I like and the 501's a tad bright. This morning was like a light switch was thrown. The 501's sound much warmer than a week ago and the bass which was somewhat thin has locked on and I am quite suprised by the bass reproduction without the sub turned on. The mids are very smooth and crisp, just to my liking. I never quite heard the definition as I'm hearing now as in guitar notes and chords. The congestion has cleared up and the seperation is just stunning.

This is my first attempt at a review. I'm very happy with this purchase. For those that like McIntosh, the 501's are something else compared to my 352. I usually have buyers remorse no matter what I buy. Not this time. I would buy them again in an instant. Although a pair of 275's may be nice also!!

Gordon

I think my amps reached a new milestone this past weekend. I was listening to some Lee Rittenhour and there is one song where the organ is featured. I think the organist is using a Leslie speaker. Isn't that the one where the horns spin? Well, this was the first time I actually heard the warble or whatever you call it twirl around the room. It raised the hair on my neck it sounded so good to me.

Gordon

Back