Networked Devices in your rack?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can !!!!

Me too! :D

Jon, your system is enough to give me nightmares. I wonder how you can really find time to enjoy your music and suspects you find greater enjoyment wiring up your setup and doing your room treatment projects. But I do admire your patience. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Last edited:
slingbox
extron scaler
samsung blu-ray

i can telnet to my scaler. that's just wrong.

So, when are you writing a front-end to the scaler :devil:

Slingboxes are one of leading causes for TCP proximity to A/V gear :cool:

Next thing you know someone will be selling a mondo-expensive Cat5 cable sheathed in audiophile-approved mystery material that will make your slingbox devices have 'sparkly highs' and 'better lows' :rolleyes:

Me too! :D

Jon, your system is enough to give me nightmares. I wonder how you can really find time to enjoy your music and suspects you find greater enjoyment wiring up your setup and doing your room treatment projects. But I do admire your patience. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Hi Ben, well, it's part of the hobby ;).
If I weren’t messing with A/V gear, I'd be doing some other geeky thing like model rockets or building the ultimate gaming rig. It's just I like music and movies, and love playing with the toys to make the experience the ultimate I can.

For instance, I just spent three hours this morning measuring and re-tuning the EQ's on the system, as I not only finished a bunch of acoustic treatments (story to come) I also have the new preamp, for which I had to do some trial EQ runs over the last week. So today was the 'definitive' measuring session, including an 8 position Audessey EQ measurement marathon (that alone took an hour).

But now, I'm enjoying some porcupine Tree on DVD-A with full Audessey room correction as well as some of the corrections from the DriveRacks and man is this system super-articulate now.

I actually enjoy the results more when I had to work hard for them ;)

Here is one the simplest systems I've had. The SB3 going directly into the tube amp. It sounded great but I think it was mostly due to this particular room sounding really good. However, this room is used for my HY system on a different wall so a functional furniture layout doesn't allow me to use this configuration. It was wireless and used a grand total of 6 cables including power cords.

34oyjo5.jpg
[/IMG]

I recently switched over to an HDMI for video and optical cable for audio. I think this was one the best format changes for home theater. These two cables reduced about 7 other cables in my system.

Last edited:
......... man is this system super-articulate now.

Jon, I'll bet my last $ after you've finished with the present tuning, you'll be thinking of ways to take your system to yet another level of perfection. You just can't help it - it's in your nature.

Oh, please be sure to publish a plan of your room treatment after this round, just like you did after the RealTraps installation. That last plan of yours was worth a thousand words - it was a great help to me (and I'm sure there are others amongst us too) when I was doing my own room. I owe you. :bowdown:

IMHO, the best thing about Jon's system (and I've seen/heard it!), is not it's incredible soundstage, nor home theater performance, but rather the fact that I can keep showing my wife what he's done so she can't b*tch about my miniscule (by comparison) upgrade efforts. :bowdown:

Here is one the simplest systems I've had. The SB3 going directly into the tube amp. It sounded great but I think it was mostly due to this particular room sounding really good. However, this room is used for my HY system on a different wall so a functional furniture layout doesn't allow me to use this configuration. It was wireless and used a grand total of 6 cables including power cords.

I recently switched over to an HDMI for video and optical cable for audio. I think this was one the best format changes for home theater. These two cables reduced about 7 other cables in my system.

Craig, There is indeed something to be said for a strightforward system. If using good equipment (like you do), it can be plenty satisfying.

I really dig HDMI, it is not perfect, but man does it simplify things to ahve one wire for both video and multi-channel audio.

The pile of left-over cables is pretty big now. Anyone need some RCA cables? :D

Jon, I'll bet my last $ after you've finished with the present tuning, you'll be thinking of ways to take your system to yet another level of perfection. You just can't help it - it's in your nature.

Oh, please be sure to publish a plan of your room treatment after this round, just like you did after the RealTraps installation. That last plan of yours was worth a thousand words - it was a great help to me (and I'm sure there are others amongst us too) when I was doing my own room. I owe you. :bowdown:

Hi Ben, sure I’m composing it now. I just plan to actually show the results before I talk about how we got there. I actually started it all with very specific diagrams, so it’s well documented.

And yes, I can’t help it, while some have upgradeitus, I have a desire for perfection that will likely never be quenched. ;)

IMHO, the best thing about Jon's system (and I've seen/heard it!), is not it's incredible soundstage, nor home theater performance, but rather the fact that I can keep showing my wife what he's done so she can't b*tch about my miniscule (by comparison) upgrade efforts. :bowdown:

LOL :haha1:
Sure, I know how that goes. I’ve used that line myself pointing to even more extravagant systems. But that’s getting harder and harder to do :eek:

Next time you are in town, you need to stop by and check out the changes, which are pretty significant by now.

JonFo,

I find myself wanting to drive down from Charlotte, NC on a regular basis....:D:D:D

Now there's an idea!! Jon - can I bring my wife to your place?

I wonder how you can really find time to enjoy your music

OK - it's not secret that my system is WAY simpler than Jon's - only one network connected device, a wireless Squeezebox, however funnily enough, that device alone has given me SO MUCH MORE time to listen to and enjoy music!

All the time previously spent getting up to change CDs, shuffling discs in and out of trays and staring aimlessly at shelves of physical CDs are now spent listening!

Not to mention re-arranging everything back in the catalogue after a listening session.

I really dig HDMI, it is not perfect, but man does it simplify things to ahve one wire for both video and multi-channel audio.

Yeah... Gotta love HDMI. I have a Comcast STB, PS3, Custom Media Center PC, and a Denon 1920 all running to my Denon 4806 via HDMI. And from the Denon I have a single HDMI cable running to the Plasma. Only the Media Center needs a seperate audio connection so the reduced cable clutter is great.

My favorite part though has to be the 4806 doing all of the switching and the need for a single HDMI cable going to the plasma. I had to use a 20' HDMI cable in my current setup so it also kept costs down too. :)

-steve

OK - it's not secret that my system is WAY simpler than Jon's - only one network connected device, a wireless Squeezebox, however funnily enough, that device alone has given me SO MUCH MORE time to listen to and enjoy music!

All the time previously spent getting up to change CDs, shuffling discs in and out of trays and staring aimlessly at shelves of physical CDs are now spent listening!

Not to mention re-arranging everything back in the catalogue after a listening session.

That should save a few pounds of flab to add to your girth ....:D

I am sure something in my system has a network connection, but I don't use it. I don't think I would know how or the benefit.

I have four day/night cameras on my home exterior which are also networkable from the Mega-gigger DVR; viewable on my laptop from anywhere I am in the world. Except one problem, I don't know how to "network" it.

Oh well, at least my woodburning cellphone works.

Lee

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the answer is a switch. Because of TCP/IP packetizing, there's no effective degradation when splitting 1 line to 4, 5, or even 8 lines using a switch. They're bi-directional as well, and cheap, too!

Back