Neolith debuts at Munich High End

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bernard, I find the opposite as I have said. Loudspeaker and equipment flaws really show themselves up at higher volume.

I didn't bring any disks, but the German demonstrator asked me if I wanted to play something. So I said have you got any electronic music. Declining Hello as I had heard too much of it that day, he gave me a disk to play on a separate Moon headphone rignto isolate which Massive Attack album he had. Determining it was Mezzanine immediately I thought it had to be Angel - a classic bass torture test.

So he played it at the volume I asked, which was loud. Afterwards Peter Soderburg tried to give it me back thinking it was mine:)

So, I'm talking shit. Why? I did report what I experienced. Not to blame ML, just a report.
Have you been at munich, too? Whats your impression? Did you like it?

Johann

Read the thread, Johann, of course I was there.

It is a new panel. They can take some considerable time to relax. It may be tension related but I can't prove that.

From experience of using MLs (17 years) that speaker will thoroughly destroy a Summit when run in. It does it now anyway IMHO. I may have been a little harsh on the Moon kit because of that factor but the headphone rig didn't sound nice to me either.

Another reason you are talking poop is that it uses pretty much the same tech as your Summit for the panel - it is just much larger giving a far more realistic "band in front of you" image. The scale is there, in other words. The woofer cabinet is much larger and more rigid, and it has better performance bass drivers.

If you don't like that fair enough. But it is a much better speaker.

IMG_2609ss.jpg

IMG_2612ss.jpg

IMG_2615ss.jpg

IMG_2614ss.jpg

Another reason you are talking poop is that it uses pretty much the same tech as your Summit for the panel - it is just much larger giving a far more realistic "band in front of you" image. The scale is there, in other words. The woofer cabinet is much larger and more rigid, and it has better performance bass drivers.

If you don't like that fair enough. But it is a much better speaker.

Pls, read my posts without interpreting it wrong. I did NOT state, this speaker is worse or better than the summits. I said: because of the weak demo it was not really possible for me to judge. During my listening sessions I experienced all the effects described. Also stated, that this may have been caused by the absurd levels they have run. Although, I also mentioned, that I did not like the way it flooded me with sound and that I like my summits more in that respect. Whats wrong with that?

I think we can agree upon the fact, that the demo was not optimal. Either because of acoustics, electronics, break in or whatever. I do not mind. If someone is presenting a new flagship product, there should not be a need for such excuses.....

Wow - great photos, and they look great!

So really - that's quite a big room isn't it? The Neoliths are dwarfed in that first shot.

Thanks for posting the pictures, they look great. If this is a taste of design of what's in ML's future, I think we will be seeing some very interesting speakers.

Bernard, I find the opposite as I have said. Loudspeaker and equipment flaws really show themselves up at higher volume.
Higher volumes, yes, but if they are run ridiculously loud (which is the impression I get from reading the comments), my inclination is to just exit the room; I do not like ringing ears.

But then, I wasn't there, so no more comments.

Overall I missed that "holographic" image I get in my listening room with my comparable tiny summits.

With ESLs, this is generally the fault of setup and room acoustics, not a deficiency in the speaker.

Obviously because of the extremely high levels the ESLs were pushed to their limits.

Not likely. Your ears would be bleeding before those panels were pushed to their limits. Again, I'm thinking the culprit is setup and associated equipment.

Chaps - it was loud but really not that loud. For the track I played I apologised to the audience afterwards as I did ask them to crank it up, but it just seemed to bring more people into the room TBH. No one seemed to mind.

The demo wasn't perfect but it was definitely up there in show terms to my ears. With the right gear and panel break in I predict great results.

With diaphragms that large I suspect the panel tension needs to be set quite high initially. The kapton ribbons in my speakers are initially tensioned over the odds and they settle out to the correct tension over quite a long period. That sounded like a panel that needed to settle down a bit. Been there, done that a few times and it is a pain in the butt process to go through and always takes longer than you want it to.

I agree with Rich's statements above.

Last edited:
Hola. Good homework guys! I am impressed again by ML products. Those are a breath taking speakers. I would like to know their sensitivity. I know that i have to wait a little bit to get their specs. I have to thank you for all your effort and bringing to us, all these wonderful news! Great photos, and great reviews. We can expect good things from them, even being a such expensive product!

I can see why Justin loved it, he finally got to listen to a Logan after many years

Kedar, if I recall correctly you were planning to try some Shun Mooks on the Neoliths. Did you?

No way would I carry them in a play, who knows what interference they might cause

I can't believe that room. I would have trouble getting my Montis to sound any good in that environment.

No way would I carry them in a play, who knows what interference they might cause
I think you mean "plane". This would be a variation of the movie "Snakes in a Plane", except that in this case it would be snake oil! :)

I think you mean "plane". This would be a variation of the movie "Snakes in a Plane", except that in this case it would be snake oil! :)

Heh.

Btw guys, very positive feedback on UK forums on the Logans, with a Logan dealer I respect saying they sounded fabulous with the Moon kit. So I guess you guys should go ahead and order

Read another report of a guy who was, like me, disappointed on Friday but he loved it on Saturday. So clearly break-in and set up issues

Back