Need Some Help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevmars

Reaction score
I've been running my Ascents for the past year with a Sony a/v receiver (strda2000es) and McIntosh MC2200. For the longest time I wasn't feeling like I was getting the sound I've heard from ML out of my speakers. So I've been reading and researching and testing and really being disappointed.
Finally I read a thread in some forum, I don't even remember where, about McIntosh preamps and a/v receivers clipping the pre-out signal. So I picked up a stereo McIntosh preamp. The difference is scary. My ascents have never sounded like this before. I have the deep bass and full mid-highs I've been searching for.
So now I have a problem. I need an a/v preamp. I don't necessarily need a receiver. I plan on buying either a 5 or 7 channel power amp anyway. Can you guys give me some good suggestions as to pre/pros that won't clip the signal so I can use my McIntosh amplifier for my Logans?

not entirely sure im following here, but the way I understand, you found your sony which ran its outputs to mcintosh 2200 amps lacking, and you bought a stereo mcintosh preamp and it made things better - but now you need a preamp that does HT.

If this is correct, (which it seems likely to be), you have two options, find a preamp that has a HT bypass, where it allows you to feed in the outputs from your processor to its input and onto the amps, find a very high quality HT pre / processor and use that as your only preamp (going to be hard to find one that beats the best stereo preamps - but possibly look for a used proceed). A 3rd option is to look for an amp with dual inputs, XLR and RCA, feed one input the out of your HT processor, one of your main sterero rig. Bryston comes to mind.

Arcam and Anthem are well regarded pre/pro's

Thanks. What I got from you guys so far is Arcam, Anthem, Proceed and Audio Research. I'll keep those up front in mind. I just don't want to run into the same problem as I did with the Sony.
lpaudio2, you nailed it on the head. Right now my two channel room is also my HT room so until I get a new house, that's the way it'll be. I'd love to buy a McIntosh pre/pro with 7.1 and HDMI, but I don't have the 10k to spend right now. (or ever) So I'm trying to find some other options that won't leave me in the dark like the Sony did.

Y'know.... There's just something about a tubed pre-amp. It's hard to put a finger on it, but true. And the crazy thing is that it doesn't seem to matter worth a damn what your musical preference is. Everything from two-piece chamber music to smooth jazz to death pain-nail bomb-nuclear attack-heavy metal sounds better and more compelling through a tubed line stage.

So that would be my only words of recommendation to you.

Funny thing is -- I do not have the same sentiment for tubed main-line amplifiers. Even the reference level ARCs, VAC and others just don't slam like a good, muscular solid state unit.

My two cents. Good luck with your search. ;)

~VDR

Back