need help in picking a sub fast enough for my cls2z

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is better to have quality bass than a cheapy bad sub. It is very difficult to match and blend. Move your CLS forward or backward for the best bass reproduction, sometimes over 1 feet of your original placement. Also, if you move your chair to the back of the room, you will get more bass. This is better than having a sound over bass, no matter how hard you try to blend it, you will always listen it and not giving the quality bass that you get through you CLS. I wish you luck in your quest. Happy listening.

Harry, here's a trustworthy review of the Emotiva X-Ref 10, a nice sub which meets your criteria. Small form factor, measures well for music use, and has a two-band PEQ, which will help you obtain a flat in-room response. Holiday sale price is $419 + free shipping.

A REL T-2 might be in your price range as well, and they're known for being very fast and musical subs. I'm still using my T-2 in my system until my Descent gets here.

A REL T-2 might be in your price range as well, and they're known for being very fast and musical subs. I'm still using my T-2 in my system until my Descent gets here.

That is what I have hooked up one REL T-2 for each of the CLSiiA, Fast and tight....Waiting for the Mcintosh MEN220 coming in next week to do the fine tune acoustically in my listening room. I have already done great deal of job blending in between Mains and Subs, but hoping to let the Mac does its job for me.

Yeah i've been running my T-2 for about 3.5 years now, first with my Vienna Acoustics speakers and now with my Theos. It's a great sub and the Sub-Bass connection (their proprietary connection system for speaker inputs) blends really well with my Theos for music. The only negative is that the sub is too light for how powerful it is and can chatter unless you put it on something like a Subdude platform or set about 20lbs of weight on top of it. They are very, very fast an responsive subs though, I'm looking forward to getting my Descent and seeing if I can get the REL to blend well enough with it to keep it in the system.

thanks to all that have respond to my questions ,,,,,,,,,happy holidays to all and good listening !!!!!!!!!!

my room is small 13x13 thx for your reply

A square room is really difficult with low notes because of room nodes and 13x13 is small for a clsIIz to begin with. You will be very happy with DSP such as the Velodyne SMS1 to eliminate problems at the listening seat. I like any version of the Descent but with DSP, you will be happy with any higher quality sub. I do like a pair of subs, but I do not have any idea how a small square room like yours would pressurize and have room nodes or worse, a null at certain frequencies right where you sit.

I recommend you think in terms of having a (huge) near field listening sub / sat system. That is how I had to approach my speakers to get the best music out of them. You might get more bass if you use a high quality power cord or if you modify the speaker box electronics. Regards Duke

Back