Need a Little Coaching for Upgrading Sequel II's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xeneixe

Reaction score

Hola Amigos,

Just joined (still excited for having found the Club...) after several hours of navigating looking for recommendations on 'to what model' upgrade my old but lovely Sequel II

As it all (usually) comes down to a budget question (as I was not one of the lucky ones to catch the 330 millions lottery last week...) I'm thinking in spending around 2.5k

In that range, I'm doubting about getting a pair of used Odissey's, a pair of (brand new) Clarity's or a pair of used Vantage (there are some hot deals out there for aprox. 3k)
Also, and since it seems to be a good quantity of used ones in the market, Ascent i's also catched my attention for aprox. 1.5k (used, of course)

Well, I Thank You all in advance and I hope to return the favor of helping through informed decisions very soon...

Ps - If you'd like to pair your ML's recommendation with the right amp to drive them, I'll be doubled :bowdown:

Best, Xeneixe

Thanks WB.....Saw them, that's why I asked about them. So your recommendation would be to go for them ?

The most important aspect of my SQL II's is the pristine clarity they have so I'd looking to get a newer model that maintains that same level of vocals transparency (when I got them, I decided for these (instead of some B&W's) because with them I could hear Diana Krall breathing in as approaching the mic....absolutely impressive)

Gracias de Nuevo,

Last edited:
You surely won't be disappointed with the Odysseys!

However, if you can't find a good deal on them or you are worried about shipping, the Vantage is a fine alternative and they come with powered woofers. I cannot recall if the Odysseys had powered woofers.

Either choice is a fine speaker. Prior to the release of the Summits/Vantages, many have said that the Odysseys were some of the best speakers ML ever produced.

I would take the Odysseys and Vantages over the Vistas any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Erik

How big is your room? The Odysseys are HUGE and would greatly benefit from a bigger room. Not only that, but the bass cabinet is huge also and takes up alot of floor space...

Also, what will you be using for amplification?

all things to consider.

Hola Tom,

Mi room, although not a dedicated music one, is quite big (something in the range of 25 x 20 feet) but I do not have much space behind the speaker to the back wall (today my SQL II's have ~30 inches)

About amplification, I was considering moving to Solid State (recently let go a pair of Rogue M 120's) probably Mark Levinson (I'm daily surgin 'Gon for a deal on a 331 or 332)
I also carry a Marsh p2000t to use as a pre-amp

Would you recommend moving first to an Ascent i from the Sequel's or going straight to the Oddy's or the Vantage's ? Am I missing any other model that's a clear Upgrade Path for the Sequel II's ?

I'm doubting in taking a smaller step or going straight to the best I can get with my current budget...

Gracias (again),

Have you tried a good sub with the Sequels, it may be all you need. Bigger and/or newer isn't always better.

In all honesty, nope. I guess I just got caught by the upgrade bug....after 4 years of the Sequel's

If I may ask you, what do you have and how do you rate them vs. other models you might have had/heard ?

In all honesty, nope. I guess I just got caught by the upgrade bug....after 4 years of the Sequel's

If I may ask you, what do you have and how do you rate them vs. other models you might have had/heard ?

Oh Boy did you come to the wrong site if your thinking of an upgrade. Around here it's called Joeyitis, and it's highly contagious. If you haven't pulled the trigger yet on some new speakers keep hanging out here and you will soon.

I have a pair of Odyssey's and like them very much, But having heard the Summits for the first time back in January, I've been lusting after a pair ever since. The only thing holding me back is lack of funds.

I think you would like the Oddessey's very much . I own a pair and have them in a smaller room than yours. Although they will sound best farther out from the wall than your 30 inches.

The woofer section on the Oddessey's are 27 inches deep , so keep that in mind. There is a woofer in the rear as well as the front, force forward design shared with the Prodigy's.

An excellent amp to run with the logans is a Simaudio w-5 , high current and endless power which mates excellent. I saw one on agon the other day for a good price. I run this amp myself.

Cheers, Greg

Many Thanks Moon and theWB.

About the Summits, I guess I share the lackoffundisity virus around (not even mentioning the donttellmeyouspendtengrandonaspeaker chain reaction I'd start at home If I'm able to solve the mentioned before virus syndrome)

I guess the Oddy's are the best option, I'm just worried about the back space. All I have is 40 inches and if the woofer takes 27, then just 13 inches to the wall might not be enough (being that it's also a more powerful woofer)Any thoughts on this?
Today my Sequel's use 13 inches for the woofer and the remaining 27 inches make them sound very good....

Any preferences on the Ascent i's vs. the Clarity's ? (the Vantage's are a little bit more expensive than I want to spend in this move...)

Well, Thanks (the third)

Is there any possible way you can move the ML's further into the room? If memory serves, the Ascents are 24 inches deep, which really are not that much smaller. If you can move the speakers out more, I would go for the oddessey's.

The 27 inches of depth is from the panel at the bottom to the rear then it slopes downward to around 19 inches depth at the bottom of the Oddessey's. If you look at a picture , you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
Many Thanks Moon and theWB.

I guess the Oddy's are the best option, I'm just worried about the back space. All I have is 40 inches and if the woofer takes 27, then just 13 inches to the wall might not be enough (being that it's also a more powerful woofer)Any thoughts on this?

Well, Thanks (the third)

With the speaker being 13 inches from the wall, the electrostatic panel will be about 3 feet from the back wall. Might be enough, might not. I don't remember where I started, but over the last 2 years I have moved mine out further from the back wall twice. Currently the back of the speaker is 25 inches away from the wall and the front of the panel 52 inches from the wall. The further I moved it out from the wall the deeper the soundstage became. But I have a big projection tv between the speakers which was probably affecting the sound more when the speakers were closer to the wall.

X - There are a pair of Ascents for sale in the classified ads on this site right in your price range, maybe worth the look.

Cheers

Trade In ?

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll go with either the Oddy's or the Vantage's depending the deal that I can get

Do you know If ML or any other recognized store takes Trade In's ? That might make things easier.....If I can bring my Sequel II's...

Best,

You would be better off selling privately, you will really take a bath on the trade in price at the dealer.

Cheers

Moon (et all), Would you guys consider moving from SQL II's to AERIUS or AERIUS i ? I got a pretty good offer for trading mine for those but I could not hear them....Are they better enough to move out from the SQLs to the Aerius ?

Mercy, Hernan

Five feet

Based on my experience with other ML speakers that I've owned over the past 20 years and confirmed by others on this website, five feet from the panel front to the back wall seems to be the appropriate distance, as a general rule of thumb.

Of course, YMMV.

GG

Back