My wife is mad at me...is it justified?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just add to your posted description that if your taste in music experiencees tend toward the immersive experience of MCH music over 2-channl music then upgrading each and every part of the complete end-to-end component music chain is worth every penny. That's my story and I am sticking to it.:D

nice post and a very nice way to disagree! Maybe I should try re-tune MCH on my system (again). what MCH gear are you using? I have Summits, Stage, 4 Spires and a Parasound Halo. Anything special that brought it "live" or it worked for you from Day 1?

I can't speak to the quality of the Onkyo but I just received my Emotiva UMC-1 processor. It is fantastic and the the audio and video are stellar. Cost $699!

This piece interested me for my HT. I've been following the user issues and think I'll give it a few more months for the Emotiva folks to work the kinks out.

Gordon

One thing I've noticed since installing the Sooloos is that my teenage daughter watches TV a lot less and listens to music a lot more. That alone was worth the price of the Sooloos....

And now with Rhapsody integration, she can grab all her favorite music the day it's released.

Joe, how long have you had MCH? I'm just wondering if the novelty will wear off at some point. Let us know if it ever does.

Yikes Bernard this will date me and no doubt label me a crazy old man, but I guess if the shoe fiits..... my first MCH system was a Dynaco SCA-80Q with 4 big JBLs and 4 STR Piezo Electric Super Tweeters that actually sat atop the JBLs.

That was circa 1973. I then moved on to a Pioneer QX949 with the quad oscilliscope which was very cool to watch while imbibing.

Then I burned out the STRs and moved up to a Madrigal Labs Citation 4.0 with Martin Logan Stylos and Logos and then to Citation 5.0 which by the way had 6-axis that allowed me to play two channel sources as a 6.1 matrix, very nice. Then I moved on to Sony 5200 which was 7.1 and then the Sony 5300 used as pre-amps for multi-channel and then finally a dedicated 5.1 musci only system with CLXs, Stage, Descent i and Vistas that eventually will be replaced with another pair of CLxs.

So to answer the question, How Long Have I had MCH, continuously since 1973 when I first heard it and it was addiction at first sight....sound. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, love the Emotiva stuff too.....when is the new processor coming out? I think it's the XMC-1 maybe?

I picked up a couple of x series xlr balanced this week too...
It's out! I have had mine a week now! Your looking at it!

It's called the UMC-1.

I think it's great!

-CB

This piece interested me for my HT. I've been following the user issues and think I'll give it a few more months for the Emotiva folks to work the kinks out.

Gordon
Well, I can only speak for the UMC-1 that I own. But I have had zero problems and the sound and video quality appear to be excellent. I think at the current $699 price point it will cause a re-evaluation of price performance ratios!

-CB

Yikes Bernard this will date me and no doubt label me a crazy old man, but I guess if the shoe fiits..... my first MCH system was a Dynaco SCA-80Q with 4 big JBLs and 4 STR Piezo Electric Super Tweeters that actually sat atop the JBLs.

That was circa 1973. I then moved on to a Pioneer QX949 with the quad oscilliscope which was very cool to watch while imbibing.

Then I burned out the STRs and moved up to a Madrigal Labs Citation 4.0 with Martin Logan Stylos and Logos and then to Citation 5.0 which by the way at 6-axis that allowed me to play two channel sources as a 6.1 matrix, very nice. Then I moved on to Sonly 5200 which was 7.1 and then 5300 used as pre-amps for multi-channel and then finally a dedicated 5.1 musci only system with CLXs, Stage, Descent i and Vistas that eventually will be replaced with another pair of CLxs.

So to answer the question, How Long Have I had MCH, continuously since 1973 when I first heard it and it was addiction at first sight....sound. :D

the force is strong in this one....:bowdown:

You didn'use the right stategy.

First you show her what you "would like" for your birthday.

something like:

mark-levinson-no-40-ssp-front-main.jpg

You'd like it, but it's way too expensive.

There is also:

CT-SSP.jpg

But since you're a raisonnable man, you would settle for something more in par with your finance:

images

:devil:

Well, I can only speak for the UMC-1 that I own. But I have had zero problems and the sound and video quality appear to be excellent. I think at the current $699 price point it will cause a re-evaluation of price performance ratios!

-CB

CB the $700 is appealing. I paid way more for my B&K ref 30 Pre many years ago. It is a dinosaur and needs updating. You seem to be one of the lucky folks that has a performing unit out of the box. No slam on Emotiva at all, I don't believe in it, but I'll still wait till it has been on the street a bit longer.

Gordon

Can't speak towards the Onkyo as I am not familiar with it. But the BDP-83 is as good as you will get in a BluRay player in my opinion. You can pay a lot more for a fancier looking chassis, but you won't get better performance or customer service from anyone else. Congrats on the upgrade and kudos for having your wife so well-trained. :D

I agree. I think the BDP-83 is the best value I've ever seen in any audio or video electronic product I've ever purchased. Not the best product, but definitely the best value as well as being an expecptionally well made product!

You didn'use the right stategy.

First you show her what you "would like" for your birthday.

something like:

mark-levinson-no-40-ssp-front-main.jpg

You'd like it, but it's way too expensive.

There is also:

CT-SSP.jpg

But since you're a raisonnable man, you would settle for something more in par with your finance:

images

I actually came back to her and mentioned the Levinson pair....kinda brought her back down to earth. haha!

Well, got the new gear last night and hooked everything up! Replaced four items in my rack with two..looks a lot cleaner. I have the task of calibrating everything today....now thats work I can get into!

The Oppo is very impressive as far as build quality (have yet to comment farther on performance), feels and looks like a high end unit.

The Onkyo Pro unit is a beast! I had to put it on top of my rack cause it wouldn't fit on the inner shelves...very well put together, with features and spec's far exeeding it's price point. Nice looking too!

Oh..and the Emotiva x-series XLR cables are the same way..high-end look and feel with a budget price...have yet to comment on performance..they're pairing up with my set of KimberKable XLR's so I'll have to do some A-B comparisons.

I'll post new pics soon! I feel like I just bout 10k worth of gear for $2500....kinda feel a little dirty, is that wrong?

Dan

I'll post new pics soon! I feel like I just bout 10k worth of gear for $2500....kinda feel a little dirty, is that wrong?

Dan

Even when money is no object, THAT is the best feeling, aint it ;) Many years back, I bought a B&K amp real cheap and got a mega deal on my Summits from a dealer who was moving away from Logans and wanted to clear his inventory. I almost feel like, amongst all my other equipment, these are my "buddies" and I wink at them when no one is watching because we have a dirty secret in common!

You now have a dirty secret in common with your $10k gear that ONLY you know you only paid $2.5k for :rocker::rocker:

I'll add my endorsement to the comments above about how lucky you are to have an audiophile wife. If I could change just one thing about my S.O. of 12 years, I'd make her an audiophile.

Congrats Dan

So, my birthday is in a few days and my wife asked me what I wanted. I said, "I need to get a new prepro and DVD player"....she sighed. I said, "don't worry I won't break the bank".....she said, "yeah, right". So, we get online and I show her the two pieces that I've been looking at; Onkyo Pro PR-SC5507 processor (twin brother of the Integra 80.1) and the Oppo BDP-83 (not even the SE version). Ok, now, I think I'm being very reasonable in the price vs. value department and to my surprise she starts in on me saying that I'm settling for these low-end pieces instead of going more high-end. I explained that to get the same units from a more high-end manufacturer would cost 4 to 5x the price. She thinks I should hold out and buy the more high-end pieces.

So, long story short, I'm will be getting both pieces on my doorstep tomorrow..:rocker:

Question: Do you think I'm making a sound decision on my purchases, or am I really settling for lessor quality units?

I think I'm doing my system a very quality upgrade...

Dan

I gotta chime in here Dan and put in a personal good word for "Y" :eek:

I've known Dan and his wife for several years now and can vouch for the accolades. She really is a cool gal.

Wish my wife was more understanding of my hobby but in the end, I usually get the upgrade with a little bit a persistence. Make that a LOT of persistence. Depends on the cost of the upgrade of course.

Sounds like you got an awesome upgrade over the Sunfire for not a lot of dough. I would have done the same thing.

I think once she hears the system with the new units, she'll forget about spending more $$ and say you are a genius. :D

Happy birthday and go Browns!

Rich

I gotta chime in here Dan and put in a personal good word for "Y" :eek:

I've known Dan and his wife for several years now and can vouch for the accolades. She really is a cool gal.

Wish my wife was more understanding of my hobby but in the end, I usually get the upgrade with a little bit a persistence. Make that a LOT of persistence. Depends on the cost of the upgrade of course.

Sounds like you got an awesome upgrade over the Sunfire for not a lot of dough. I would have done the same thing.

I think once she hears the system with the new units, she'll forget about spending more $$ and say you are a genius. :D

Happy birthday and go Browns!

Rich

Hey Rich! Great to read from you! Several years? Try about 16 years!

Yeah, she's very supportive and loves the stuff I buy...when I can afford to buy it. I have removed 5 pieces (Adcom, Denon, Sunfire, Sony bluray and a monoprice HDMI switcher) and replaced them with two very good pieces in my oppinion.
Sounds pretty sweet so far, but still tweaking. Movies are crisper and the new sound processing modes are amazing! Two channel direct is fantastic and is the only difference between the Onkyo Pro and Integra 80.1 other than a 1 yr longer warranty.

I'll put up some new pics soon and update my members system along with some further oppinions on performance when I get a chance to mess with the system some more.

Stay cool brother! Tell your wife I said hi..

Dan

Not me. One audiofool in the house is more than enough ! :)

Yes, and some would say, one is too many!

And I guess that is the point really, your better half is always right, right?:D

Bernard, another classic.

Back