My Summit has internal injuries, help.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvitez

Reaction score
Sheesh. I was noticing a little hiss from the right speaker the last while, but chose to ignore it. I put on an LP of organ music, crank it up, and that speaker starts to vibrate physically like a cheap hotel bed, with loud muddy thumping. I turn down the volume, vibration goes away. The 'stat panel moves a little where it's attached to the base.

I slowly increase the volume, and when the thumping bass/speaker vibration returns, I can feel, literally feel the bottom woofer moving about 1/4-1/2 inch! The left speaker does no such thing. I shut off my system, and now the yellow light is on. Where do I go from here? How do I start investigating?

you should first call martin logan ! they built it they warranty it and they should help you fix it. that's a real bummer man keep us informed about the fix maybe the woofer just got loose and now jarred some wire of their contacts inside or something like that

Last edited:
Yep, just call ML Monday morning.

They'll make it right for you.

Is it only when you play an LP? You may want to try a cd or some other source just to verify, if you have one. Also, try swapping the speaker wire or rca/balanced cables to see if the problem follows or stays on the right speaker. It sounds like it probably is the speaker, but I'm sure Martin Logan would appreciate any trouble shooting you can do before you call. Anyway good luck and hope it works out.

Glen

Last edited:
Thank you Mr. Glen. After a bit of fiddling......it's the amplifier!!! Double sheesh!! :( I noticed no bass coming from the LEFT speaker, and the yellow light glowing. The right speaker had the green light on now, despite being yellow since my Who Are You episode. Now it was slap myself in the forehead time. I replaced the eVo4 with my old Classe Seventy, and lo and behold both speakers work fine. Actually, I have more bass with a 75 wpc 15 year old amp that with my 360 wpc (in bridged mode) Tripath amp. I heard a hiss from the right speaker for a while, so maybe my amp was already having an issue.

I actually turned down the bass controls since installing my Classe Seventy. However, I sure miss the wonderfully clear inner detail I now realize I had. Like many things in life, you don't know what you have until it's gone :D The old Classe definitely has a solid state grain about it, with clear highs, but no shimmering attack and decay like the eVo4. But I know I am comparing a Can$1000 list price amp to a $4000 USD amp. I see Seventies going for around Can$500, so it's hardly worth selling since I've had it from new. It has less gain so I'm turning the volume control higher on my preamp. But I was playing a Bach organ LP rather loudly today, and the little amp kept up very well. It was much cooler than when it was running my Sequel II's. Now, it's a true "double down" amp, so 300 wpc at 2ohms is nothing to sneeze at. But I guess this shows me a 75 wpc solid state amp IS capable of driving my Summits at very respectable levels since the speaker does the heavy (bass) lifting. A pain in the rear overall, but I've now learned even more about these 2 amps of mine.

So I never bothered Martin Logan about my problem, but have emailed Bel Canto. I don't know if they have a Canadian repair centre, but I'm only 400 miles from Minneapolis so I hope I can send it directly to them.

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you Mr. Glen. After a bit of fiddling......it's the amplifier!!! Double sheesh!! :( I noticed no bass coming from the LEFT speaker, and the yellow light glowing. The right speaker had the green light on now, despite being yellow since my Who Are You episode. Now it was slap myself in the forehead time. I replaced the eVo4 with my old Classe Seventy, and lo and behold both speakers work fine. Actually, I have more bass with a 75 wpc 15 year old amp that with my 360 wpc (in bridged mode) Tripath amp. I heard a hiss from the right speaker for a while, so maybe my amp was already having an issue.

I actually turned down the bass controls since installing my Classe Seventy. However, I sure miss the wonderfully clear inner detail I now realize I had. Like many things in life, you don't know what you have until it's gone :D The old Classe definitely has a solid state grain about it, with clear highs, but no shimmering attack and decay like the eVo4. But I know I am comparing a Can$1000 list price amp to a $4000 USD amp. I see Seventies going for around Can$500, so it's hardly worth selling since I've had it from new. It has less gain so I'm turning the volume control higher on my preamp. But I was playing a Bach organ LP rather loudly today, and the little amp kept up very well. It was much cooler than when it was running my Sequel II's. Now, it's a true "double down" amp, so 300 wpc at 2ohms is nothing to sneeze at. But I guess this shows me a 75 wpc solid state amp IS capable of driving my Summits at very respectable levels since the speaker does the heavy (bass) lifting. A pain in the rear overall, but I've now learned even more about these 2 amps of mine.

So I never bothered Martin Logan about my problem, but have emailed Bel Canto. I don't know if they have a Canadian repair centre, but I'm only 400 miles from Minneapolis so I hope I can send it directly to them.

Thanks for the advice!

Hola...remember that the turntables produce subsonics that we can not listen...lower signals than just rumble. Use different signal, not a turntable due to this unwanted low subsonic frequencies. Warp records or just mechanical resonances could produce your problem...and not the speaker. Play a regular cd and check it out. Turntables can also pick up some feedbacks coming from one channel only also. Isolate the turntable as much as you can, you can use the aid of an air table or similar to reduce the vibrations coming from the room. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Back