My Spire is on the way

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayk24

Reaction score
CD -Esoteric X05 + Transparent Reference MM2 XLR
Preamp -Passlab X0.2 + Transparent Reference XLR
power amp - Nuforce 9SE V2
SPK wire - Transparent Reference bi-wire
Pictures will up next week.

Last edited:
CD -Esoteric X05 + Transparent Reference MM2 XLR
Preamp -Passlabb X0.2 + Transparent Reference XLR
power amp - Nuforce 9SE V2
SPK wire - Transparent Reference bi-wire
Pictures will up next week.

Hope you get two! Better for this new stereo thing!! Enjoy .. 100 hrs to settle in 200 - 250 for full performance!

Hope you get two! Better for this new stereo thing!! Enjoy .. 100 hrs to settle in 200 - 250 for full performance!
Hi Dougster
Which pc you use for the Spires? I am going with the Lessloss audio cables.

Hi Dougster
Which pc you use for the Spires? I am going with the Lessloss audio cables.

I use Transparent plus Nordost cables with Kimber power cables and mains conditioner and as you see from my system, Moon Linn Magnum Dynalab. Hope that covers it not sure what you mean by pc in this context. If it is power cable then DNM at present. UK importer recommends upgrade from ML. Spires are truly excellent see my earlier posts and Dave Matz thread on Spires and Vantages
All the best

Last edited:
Enjoy them Ray, they really are that good !

I am thinking should i go for a tube preamp, may be a Modwright 36.5?

Ray, I purchased the LS36.5 after comparing it with several other tube pre offerings in the $4-6K price range, and I really like it. Are you looking to inject some tube-i-ness© into your system? The Modwright is a fairly neutral-sounding pre.

/Ken

I am thinking should i go for a tube preamp, may be a Modwright 36.5?

Ray,

Sound like quite a system that's coming together. I would recommend listening to 4 or 5 different ones in that price range and coming up with reasons why you should not choose each model. This way you won't have any regrets later.

Ray,

Sound like quite a system that's coming together. I would recommend listening to 4 or 5 different ones in that price range and coming up with reasons why you should not choose each model. This way you won't have any regrets later.

Strongly recommend one change at a time I know it's tedious!! But let the Spires fully run in in your current system and see what you wish to do. It will be different and far better than anything you've had before. Only then will you make a lasting decision... there are so many versions of "good" out there and making too many changes at once is not a good idea, IMO !

My Spires are here

It is a long 2 weeks wait, now 300 hrs counting down.

Attachments

• ML 032.jpg
    ML 032.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,001
Congrats; you'll love 'em! My Spires also recently arrived, but they took a bit longer than two weeks to arrive! :)

Congrats indeed... I just got mine in today. They will sit in the office for a while though... got to get my room ready.

Interesting setup. It looks like you are using them in a dedicated 2 channel setup since your projector is facing the other direction and it looks like you have a different set of dynamic speakers around the screen in your avitar.

Excellent ancillary equipment and a nice looking room. You should get it posted over in our Members Systems section and tell us more about both systems.

Most of all though - enjoy those new speakers!

Anthem D2
Anthem P2+P5
Front Paradigm studio 100v4
Center Paradigm CC690v4
Rear Magnapen MMG mount with hinges on the wall
Subwoofer JL f113 + rear Paradigm servo 15
Projector Sony VW60
Bluray Sony S550
HDDVD Toshiba A35
Richard grey power house
Carada 98" screen

Attachments

• ML 026.jpg
    ML 026.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
The rear Magnapen open & close

Attachments

• ML 033.jpg
    ML 033.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 622
  • ML 034.jpg
    ML 034.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 607
Ascent vs Spire

I fear that I am in the wrong forum. However, let me say my piece and then someone might be kind enough to redirect my query.
It is simple: I have owned and enjoyed a pair of Ascents for 8 yrs now, but am wondering what kind of impact the much newer Spire (eventually the Summit) would have on my listerning experience. Would the newer speakers bring a significant improvement? As I live in Switzerland the chance to audition such speakers is relatively limited, indeed almost impossible (I bought the Ascents sight unseen, hearing unheard ... not recommended, but never for a moment did I regret choice).

Thanks in advance for good counsel.

Back