My son's jazz guitar

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all -- Just thought I would share this because - well it is kind of cool - especially since this is a music site...

My son is planning a dual major - one in math and one in Jazz guitar performance. He has been accepted at Wayne State here in Michigan which has a pretty good jazz program. He had to audition and somewhere along the way - got hooked on jazz...(hoping I had a little something to do with it... :) ) but none the less.... He was only one of several selected to get into the program since it is very limited size. He has received a very generous scholarship - and he may get more for his jazz performance....

Last summer we sent him to Berklee in Boston and quite frankly that was a huge positive growing experience for him...He did quite well there. Then I strongly suggested private lessons with a jazz guitar teacher - which again has helped him along tremendously...

I'm just geeked...and very proud...and happy to see that my son is one of the younger generation that still feels music is worthwhile ... btw - he loves the logans....:)

Timm, that is a great story , you should be proud of him and his accomplishment's. My son also carries on a love for Jazz when his friends were playing Rap he was into Miles.

jazz guitar

Congrats on your sons acceptance to the Wayne State jazz program. It is good to hear there are still young people interested in performing jazz. Most young people now are musically illiterate. He's obviously an exception. Have him listen to Tal Farlow if he hasn't already.

Math and Guitar, good match.

While experimenting with computer music, I independently "discovered" that in our 12 tone scale, the frequency of each higher note is equal to (1 + 12th root of 2) x original note frequency.

If you want a 13 tone scale, use the 13th root of 2, etc. A 13 note scale sounds almost right except it gets to the octave late.

Does he write code, too?

Math and Music -- http://members.cox.net/mathmistakes/music.htm

Math and Guitar, good match.

While experimenting with computer music, I independently "discovered" that in our 12 tone scale, the frequency of each higher note is equal to (1 + 12th root of 2) x original note frequency.

If you want a 13 tone scale, use the 13th root of 2, etc. A 13 note scale sounds almost right except it gets to the octave late.

Does he write code, too?

Math and Music -- http://members.cox.net/mathmistakes/music.htm
He has written some music but no code. I have done a little coding in my day though. :). Yes he seems to have an ability in both math and music. I'll show him these links. Thanks!!

One thing to consider re math: an ability in math does not necessarily make you a good mathematician. I was lucky that when I was considering math (as I was a natural at it), my career counsellor (who happened to be my Applied Math teacher) said to me, "You're good at math, but you're not a mathematician, you're an engineer", and he was right. I ended up becoming an EE, which was perfect for me.

I agree Bernard. He likes math and my thought was that if for some reason he becomes a starving musician he will at least have a fallback plan or have the math out of the way if he wants to go the technical route for engineering or something like that. Seems like a plan and he agrees with it. At least for now!!

Congrats to your son on the scholarship.

I've been listening to a lot of late 50's early 60's jazz and collecting the awesome sounding remastered 45 rpm vinyl. Some of my very favorites are smaller 3-4 piece combos with Grant Green, Wes Montgomery or Kenny Burrell. All amazing guitar players that influenced so many modern players. I'm so happy to see young folks carrying the torch for this American heritage.

And yes, if you're going to be a jazz guitarist, you'll need a real job to support your love of music. :D:D:D

Thanks satch.

The tunes he has been playing for his auditions are Stella by Starlight, Blues for Alice, and he has Donna Lee down but doesn't want to risk it for the auditions!! :)

Back