My new room sucks...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's just time for a change.

The trouble is, there are b*gg*r all dynamic speakers at a reasonable price capable of beating a Summit.

If you find otherwise, let us know what you think is better, at least in THAT room, and why...

Strongly suggest that you follow Rich's advice and reduce that toe-in. Then treat those loooong side walls with some absorbers.

BTW, are your spikes carving up that nice hardwood floor ??

~VDR

The new room is definitely a challenge and is it fate that I got stuck with this room? I know this is teaching me about room acoustics like I haven't experienced before and this is going to further my knowledge about this aspect of our hobby. Now, am I also supposed to get a different type of speaker and learn from that also?

Hi Joey,

I would always defer to Jon's amazing knowledge regarding speakers and rooms but I would personally see this as a great opportunity to learn about room acoustics.Buy some long runs of cheap speaker cabling and a long extension cord to power the speakers and have a fiddle. Buy Everest's book - Master Handbook of Acoustics ISBN 0-07-136097-2. Shifting speakers around the room will do way more than a component change.

Do try the speakers between the lounge and dining /kitchen area. Very few people have had the room or WAF to try electrostatics in free space. It may well not be a practical living solution for you but you may be surprised at the image and dynamic contrast you achieve.

I suspect the practicalities of the space and your requirement for the speakers to double with your screen will dictate having the speakers pretty much where they are.

Kevin

Joey,

You need to slow down a little and be patient. Okay, let's say you do sell the Summits and buy dynamic speakers, where will your new speakers end up....? In the same untreated room! You'll just exchange one set of problems for another set. Been there done that. I have been reading this thread and the one thing that strikes me is that you are remembering what your old room sounded like and are content with what you had then. It looks as though you were used to a "nearfield listening" experience. Just like giant headphones right? :D The other members here are saying the same things. Fix the room first. I remember moving from a smaller house to the present one and I hated the room until I eliminated the reflective points along the walls. After that the soundstage focused better in the middle and on the right recording you could hear the instruments on the outer edge of the speakers along with a tight focused center.

Please repeat after me, it's the room, it's the room. An analogy I use is think of it (the new room) as a blank portrait with you as the painter. It looks very strange when you begin it but by the time you are finished you can "see" all of the layers of detail that have been added to it. I've been doing this a long time and I no longer own ML's but they will always as will any other similar radiating speaker require a deadening of the wall behind them. Those (no one on this forum in particular) of you saying no it doesn't make a difference haven't really tried over a long enough period of time, or the WAF steps in and the sound deadening never gets applied to the room. There is no way in hell you can tell me that when you sit down in that room you aren't hearing first and second order reflections? I know there are a few of you like myself that have taken the time to measure and re-measure and listen and then move the speakers again and again until just right. It takes several days even close to a week before after careful tweaking you start to hear a change for the better. It takes time to adjust, you'll get there.

First and second order reflections. Perhaps like a symphony hall.

I say cover the whole flippin room with very heavy blankets and be done with it.

That way, you'll be sure that you have no reflections. :rolleyes:

GG

Joey, on a more serious note. I hope you can resolve the acoustic issues and still have a "living" room.

Last edited:
maybe all stupid suggestions by me - but, for kicks - looking at the length of the room - - I would try to move your summits into the room (the couch back) - so you have 5 feet behind the cabinet and wall/window. Moving it forward will reduce the impact of the window and should also give you a feel for what that window is doing. I know this may not work for you on a long term basis - but, it may give you a feel for what your front wall is doing. Secondly, get that table out of the way... thirdly, try listening at lower volume... lower volume - less room interaction... and finally, try moving your seating position closer for near field listening - cuz I think that will reduce some of the room interaction and the need for higher volume as well...

I guess - I would just experiment in this way to get a feel for what the room is doing to you - without spending a grand or so on room treatments first.

If the room sucks then no matter what you put in there for speakers the room will still continue to suck. You have to face it and fix the room. Speakers are not going to do that for you.​
If you want to change to a new type of speaker then go for it but you'll just be frustrated with the room until you work with it enough to fix the acoustic issues.

I think you should try other speakers. Like you said it will be a growing experience. Although I recommend keeping your Summits and put them away for a while. It will be much easier when you decide to bring them back into the system again.

I traded in Odysseys for a pair of Cremonas and then a year later I traded those in for the Summits. I wish I still had the Cremonas to use for a second system with a different house sound but I would still keep my Summits. Cremonas are just as finicky for placement and need a good room to hear their full potential.

It's also good for someone to spend some time in a third world country to make one realize what they have at home.

Go for it but you know you'll be back. With CLX's maybe?

Joey....

Similar discussion over at the Asylum on reflections and room issues and if reflections are the cause...David Aiken has also done some responding with some good information.

BTW, have you talked with either Glenn/Bryan at GIK or Ethan at Real Traps about your issues? Have you tried some simple blankets, pillow testing? Have you tried some rearranging?

Here is the thread...
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/messages/26/269508.html

Joey....

I see you have decided to sell your Plinius, Summits, and Cary Pre on the 'Gon.

Good luck with the sale and hope all goes well.

Joey....

I see you have decided to sell your Plinius, Summits, and Cary Pre on the 'Gon.

Good luck with the sale and hope all goes well.

Hmm. Seems odd to sell your whole system because you are not willing to "play" with it. Hope all is well and goes well for you.

GL

I think Joey's been kidnapped! He hasn't been on this site in a whole week! And now his entire system mysteriously shows up on the 'gon. Personally, I suspect his girlfriend.

I think Joey's been kidnapped! He hasn't been on this site in a whole week! And now his entire system mysteriously shows up on the 'gon. Personally, I suspect his girlfriend.

Poor Joey .... but perhaps he's clearing the decks for a fresh start with the CLX !

Last edited:
Joey I feel for you...
I have seen people go but sooner or later they'll be back.
Unless you found a cure for this disease?!

Well, it seems once you have the upgraditis disease, the only cure is some new gear or a new hobby. :eek:

Well, it seems once you have the upgraditis disease, the only cure is some new gear or a new hobby. :eek:

3 things are certain in audio life...

1. The disease is contagious.
2. There is no cure.
3. There have been clinical reports of dormancy, but re-infection is nearly 100%.

:D

Everyone,

Joey is too ashamed to admit it, so I must inform you. Joey has checked himself into Rehab to try to deal with his audioholism. He asks that you please respect his privacy and wish him luck during this difficult time. The last I saw of him, as the men in white coats were prying his knuckles off the door and closing it, he was singing:

I don't want to go rehab, I said no, no, no . . .

Back