My music collection (some of it)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, if you want full iPod compatibility for all rips, yet want to use lossless compression, just use iTunes to rip to Apple Lossless (ALAC) format. That will give you the best of both worlds!

ALAC files will play on my Squeezebox??

Yep!!

SqueezeCenter will transcode them to FLAC (or perhaps WAV) first, but that won't affect fidelity. ALAC files (like FLAC) are still larger than VBR MP3's, but sound a helluva lot better, even on an iPod. Only caveat about going this route is you lose the ability to FF or REW within a track during playback. Next thing you'll be wanting is the tubed Modwright Transporter (if the Joeyitis bug is not laying dormant on your Summits)!

Last edited:
ALAC files will play on my Squeezebox??

I play ALAC through my Squeezebox all the time. I'd say about 70& of my music is in ALAC. 30% in FLAC and only one or two MP3s hanging around.

I have SlimServer transcode both to .WAV for sending to the SB3.

SlimServer can even be set to use your iTunes database, so you can use iTunes to rip and manage your entire collection.

Sorry Tom - we've just given you a big task! - Re rip all your music.....

Last edited:
LOL!! yes you have...

quite a bit of my collection was purchased on allofmp3.com, which was a Russian site that used a loophole in Russian laws to allow the legal sale of music files, and they did it CHEAPLY! I don't think they offered lossless formats, so I bought everything @ 320 bps....They have since been closed down, but I managed to spend about a thousand dollars on music!

Alot of my other stuff I buy on iTunes. I suppose I have 3 or 400 CDs that I could re-rip... wouldn't be too big of a task.

Last edited:
Same for me - I was not expecting it to play such a large role in my system, but since acquiring the Squeezebox I, too, rarely listen to physical CDs. It seems so "last century" to physically have to put a disc in a player. Sort of like having to insert the Firefox floppy disk every time I want to surf the 'net! Then take it out and insert the Outlook disk if I want to send an email...

It really does sound so darn good......but the convenience is what really grabs me - my taste has always changed wildly - one minute I'm listening to a classical flute solo, next minute AC/DC - and that's just the normal stuff - then there's celtic jigs, japanese drummers and deep African tribal rhythms - all in one listening session!

All of mine is in ALAC (if it is on the iPod as well) or FLAC (if it is not on my iPod). I figure when I get a bigger iPod I'll convert the FLAC to ALAC at that point (or high-bitrate AAC because the thing sounds so bad the difference doesn't really matter), but I'm going to need those idiots to stop thier "Planned Obsolescence" mentality and produce an iPod with decent capacity. My music collection is at 155GB now (and growing). Or maybe those idiots will support FLAC by then?

Sorry for the late reply.:eek: Yes convenience has been one of the biggest things that has me so wowed with streamed music. The ability to listen to any song from any album in ones collection is just the coolest thing.:) And while the CD will not go away completely, I do see downloaded media taking a huge chunk of the sales (it's already starting to happen). Audiophiles like myself are no doubt impressed with high quality FLAC downloads, and only expect to see more available soon.

Since I am using WMP11 to stream I have many music files in WMA Lossless, and have found the sound quality to be as good as ALAC. For my iPod I use ALAC exclusively. For listening to music in the car it's awesome!

I just recently learned from JonFo that I can also stream .WAV files encoded with DTS music. I listened to Steely Dan Gaucho the other day and was very impressed with the sound quality.

Seth

.....and how do you stream DTS encoded .WAVs?

I just ripped the DTS CD to my PC and streamed it through my Denon AVP just like any normal .WAV file. The Denon automatically decoded the DTS and voila! glorious multi-channel surround music. I just wish I had more DTS CD's as I only have two.

ape,flac and mp3 I too used the russian site

Attachments

• july08.zip
    418.8 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
female vocal stuff that I
rarely if ever listen to. I hear way too much of that at hifi shows.

I don't understand this. Hi-fi shows only go for a couple of days at a time and the listening environment is not ideal (and there aren't that many of them).

How could you possibly get your quota of such a broad genre as "Female Vocals" at a few measly hi-fi shows?

PS - I'll never get it 'cos we're not lucky to get any hi-fi shows here in (almost) outback Queensland!!

STV,

I like you, you have Def Leppard in your collection :)

They are my favourite band .... how do they work with Martin Logan speakers ?

Have you ever seen them live ? If not, go, it is definatly worth it ...

Oh yeah, also, you don't have Hysteria on your list, that is a must for any Def Leppard fan :)

Paul.

No.. it's all new stuff..

More than 30 years after the English quintet's inception, Def Leppard have survived and thrived while many of their pop-metal contemporaries have stumbled into obscurity or gone on dubious reunion tours. SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE marks a long-awaited return to the catchy yet edgy hard rock perfected on their career-defining landmark full-length, HYSTERIA (1987). While the band's most successful works were crafted under the strict mentorship of producer Jeff "Mutt" Lange, SPARKLE LOUNGE is a DIY affair, with co-production assistance from live sound engineer Ronan McHugh. First single "Nine Lives" includes a Def Leppard first: guest lead vocals by well-known country singer Tim McGraw. "C'Mon C'Mon" has the stacked background vocals and glam rock swagger that is part and parcel of the group's weathered arsenal. "Tomorrow" packs the kind of stick-to-your-ribs, harmony-laden chorus that is both familiar and fresh. Def Lep in 2008 maintain a contemporary sensibility, yet remain true to their roots.

STV,

I like you, you have Def Leppard in your collection :)

They are my favourite band .... how do they work with Martin Logan speakers ?

Have you ever seen them live ? If not, go, it is definatly worth it ...

Oh yeah, also, you don't have Hysteria on your list, that is a must for any Def Leppard fan :)

Paul.

Yeah Def Leppard rocks!:rocker: As to how they sound on Martin Logans, awesome! Many of their albums were always recorded in very high quality, and as such, that quality is heard on ML's. As far as Hard Rock/Metal bands go they are one of my all time favorites.:)

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of seeing them live, but if they are ever performing close to my area, I would love to go to a concert.

Yeah I really need to get Hysteria :)

Seth

Yeah Def Leppard rocks!:rocker: As to how they sound on Martin Logans, awesome! Many of their albums were always recorded in very high quality, and as such, that quality is heard on ML's. As far as Hard Rock/Metal bands go they are one of my all time favorites.:)

Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of seeing them live, but if they are ever performing close to my area, I would love to go to a concert.

Yeah I really need to get Hysteria :)

Seth

Seth,

To be honest, Hysteria is IMHO probably their best album ever.

Some would say that they have lost their way a little on their later albums which I would not agree with personally. All band have their good\bad and indifferent albums, they are just any normal band :)... well almost ;)

If you haven't seen them live, go for it, you'll not regret it one tiny bit !!!

Paul.

Latest posts

Back