My 13As

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which model is in the walls for your surrounds?
I don’t have any speakers in wall. All 8 Sistines are in the ceiling since one side of my room opens to the kitchen. After acoustic panels were installed the sound was as if there wasn’t an open wall at all. The whole room became quieter as well. I’d really like to add 2 more subs, but my better half isn’t a fan of my tendency to keep tinkering with my system.
For example, I just purchased the Spatial Audio Calibration Toolkit to get better Atmos sound last night after watching a YouTube video.
Talk to you soon I hope.

My front 3 are ML - 11A’s and ESL C. On ceiling Atmos are ML 4i’s. Side surrounds are DALI Oberon on-walls, back surrounds are DALI bookshelves. I feel the DALI blend quite well after running ARC on my Anthem processor. I went with DALI primarily for the low profile on-wall design of the Oberons. They had better frequency response than the similarly sized ML’s, and IMO, after the two ML price increases, they just had a better price to performance ratio.
I use some Sinclair audio for my rear Surrounds and Speakercraft for the sides. Atmos in ceiling is ML. It all sounds good to me. I built my system up piecemeal ,because when we built the house, dolby 5.1 was the standard. Then came 7.1, and finally Atmos.

When I build my next one I will start with at least 11.1 or more. I'm sure in the future there will be a newer system with even more speakers. Not sure when it ends. Perhaps the # of speakers will max out and then it's just more advanced codes.

To me, mixing and matching brands sounds fine, but I've never had the alternative of all speakers being the same.

I use some Sinclair audio for my rear Surrounds and Speakercraft for the sides. Atmos in ceiling is ML. It all sounds good to me. I built my system up piecemeal ,because when we built the house, dolby 5.1 was the standard. Then came 7.1, and finally Atmos.

When I build my next one I will start with at least 11.1 or more. I'm sure in the future there will be a newer system with even more speakers. Not sure when it ends. Perhaps the # of speakers will max out and then it's just more advanced codes.

To me, mixing and matching brands sounds fine, but I've never had the alternative of all speakers being the same.
Back when I had traditional box speakers, I was pretty adamant about having them all be from the same brand/line. I had 7.1, no Atmos then. Honestly, the combo of stuff I have now sounds better to me. But then a lot of other stuff has been upgraded along with the speakers, so that’s probably part of it too.

With the ESL’s in the front, I feel like my surround options are kind of limited. I unfortunately don’t have unlimited space and money, otherwise I would love to do something like EFX’s all the way around for surrounds. I’m not really convinced that the ML folded motion tweeter is any better of a match for the ESL’s than a ribbon or dome tweeter. I’m doing 7.2.2 right now. I’d like to go up to 9.2.4 but that’s about as far as I can go in my present space.

Back when I had traditional box speakers, I was pretty adamant about having them all be from the same brand/line. I had 7.1, no Atmos then. Honestly, the combo of stuff I have now sounds better to me. But then a lot of other stuff has been upgraded along with the speakers, so that’s probably part of it too.

With the ESL’s in the front, I feel like my surround options are kind of limited. I unfortunately don’t have unlimited space and money, otherwise I would love to do something like EFX’s all the way around for surrounds. I’m not really convinced that the ML folded motion tweeter is any better of a match for the ESL’s than a ribbon or dome tweeter. I’m doing 7.2.2 right now. I’d like to go up to 9.2.4 but that’s about as far as I can go in my present space.
I've got 11 speakers now, so I have 4 atmos in the ceiling in addition to 4 surrounds. I'm pretty happy with it. My main goal is to build a dedicated room for theater that has a real big screen for a projector. Having the speakers behind the screen is another goal, so as to maximize screen size and streamline it all.
Right now my home theater is in the family room, with a 77 inch oled display.

Back