Motion Series - speaker review - 2.1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
I've decided to start a seperate Thread since my review is of the 2.1 set-up and Tim's (MiTT) is of the 5.1 configuration.

Well.....finally I've had a chance to set down and listen to these little gems (Motion 4's), initally without the sub (Dynamo 1000) in the mix. I must say they produce pretty 'big sound' (all things considered) from a small package !

I took them with me to friends house today to give a listen after I helped him set-up his tt, both of us were pleased with what we heard. The imaging, soundstage, freg range, all very good, given it's small footprint.

For those who don't know this is a two way speaker employing Logan's "Folded Motion Transducer" for the upper freq (above2900Hz) and a 4" paper cone conventional driver for everything below. More product information can be found here..........

http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/index.php

Back home now, I have them running in my upstairs living room set-up (Jolida 302B being fed by a Rotel 1072CDP). This has afforded me a good comparison against my Totem Arro's which are deployed in that set-up. Ok let me say right up front.......these things NEED a sub, they don't do the bottom octave and struggle in the midbass. I'm not surprised at this but given the Totem Arro's small driver compliment I was expecting a better showing(the Arro's are much better in the midbass).

Just so everyone knows this is not going to be a one post review, rather as I continue to experiment with these I will continue to post / update..............

next.......insert the sub into the equation, that should wake up the bottom end !

Stay tuned .....................

Last edited:
My review is up on our home page in the "Spotlight" section...

let me know if you guys that have em agree with me or not.

let me know if you guys that have em agree with me or not.

Jeff, I think your findings that their bass is credible lies in the fact that you more or less 'corner loaded them' in a small room, I agree that would help. So far my listening has been in a larger more open enviroment.

Ok, now onto sub integration............

I'm using the line level input to the wireless transmitter which is really the 'tits' in that it allows easy sub movement for ideal location / placement.

initial listening has been done with phase set to 0 degrees and low pass filter at the 'twelve o'clock' position (80-85hz approx)

With the Olympics on I managed to listen to maybe a half hour of music last nite but clearly this is what I was looking for....bottom end presence !

Over the next couple of days I plan on fine tunning sub placement and fidiling around with phase, crossover, level, etc.

Hey - quick question on these and fresco i's. Are these equally greedy demanders of power and upper end source equipment? A friend of mine is upgrading their HT and I have suggested that they get 3 Fresco's on closeout for LCR, and maybe 2 motion 2's for the rear speakers (to save some money). Can they drive these with a ~100 w/ch Marantz type receiver or do they need separates and gobs of power like the classic panels?

Easy to drive, so far I've used a fifty watt receiver and my fifty watt Jolida integrated....no problemo !

Jeff, I think your findings that their bass is credible lies in the fact that you more or less 'corner loaded them' in a small room, I agree that would help. So far my listening has been in a larger more open enviroment.

Ok, now onto sub integration............

I'm using the line level input to the wireless transmitter which is really the 'tits' in that it allows easy sub movement for ideal location / placement.

initial listening has been done with phase set to 0 degrees and low pass filter at the 'twelve o'clock' position (80-85hz approx)

With the Olympics on I managed to listen to maybe a half hour of music last nite but clearly this is what I was looking for....bottom end presence !

Over the next couple of days I plan on fine tunning sub placement and fidiling around with phase, crossover, level, etc.

I agree with you. Corner loading, a small room and a slightly warm tube amp certainly helps!

Easy to drive, so far I've used a fifty watt receiver and my fifty watt Jolida integrated....no problemo !

Cool - thanks Tom.

Didnt realize you owned, or would confess to owning, a 50 watt receiver ;)

Cool - thanks Tom.

no problem, BTW....the name's Dave !

Didnt realize you owned, or would confess to owning, a 50 watt receiver ;)

I don't.......it was the unit I used at a friends house where we listened to the Motion 4's after I set-up his tt.

Dave, Jeff:

I'm currently looking at these speakers as side and rear surrounds in a home theater system, to be coupled with ML Spires/Stage/Depth i

What are your opinions on integration into a system where the entire front stage is ESL? Are they going to be fairly closely timbre matched? Will they "hold their own" in full 7.1 channel mode?

Appreciate your opinions on this matter, as you're pretty much the only two I know of so far that have had a chance to listen to these a good bit.

Thanks.

-Charlie

Charlie, you'll be just fine. FWIW, I plan on switching out my rear surrounds just for 'chits and giggles' .

IMO, in an 'HT' enviroment (movies), surround speakers are no where near as critical (timbre matching as you say) as L/center/R...............multi channel music, maybe.

no problem, BTW....the name's Dave !

I don't.......it was the unit I used at a friends house where we listened to the Motion 4's after I set-up his tt.
apologies about the name mix up Dave:(

Hey - quick question on these and fresco i's. Are these equally greedy demanders of power and upper end source equipment? A friend of mine is upgrading their HT and I have suggested that they get 3 Fresco's on closeout for LCR, and maybe 2 motion 2's for the rear speakers (to save some money). Can they drive these with a ~100 w/ch Marantz type receiver or do they need separates and gobs of power like the classic panels?

The specs show 8 ohms across the entire Motion line. Pretty easy speakers to drive. On the other hand, the Fresco i's are 5 ohms, which is doable, but a bit more challenging.

Charlie, you'll be just fine. FWIW, I plan on switching out my rear surrounds just for 'chits and giggles' .

IMO, in an 'HT' enviroment (movies), surround speakers are no where near as critical (timbre matching as you say) as L/center/R...............multi channel music, maybe.

Thank you Dave. This was exactly what I was wanting to hear.

For the time being, my main listening room is also my Living Room, and I can't see adding 4 Script i's to the walls opposite the front. I feel they're a little large and would overpower the room aesthetics wise (yes I'm a slave to everything looking good). The Motion 4's are much smaller, and also allow mounting in a higher position to be more out of sight.

I am a 2-channel junkie music-wise. Never got into the multi-channel music thing. These will be used almost exclusively for home theater, so it's extremely good to hear that they will work well for my purpose.

-Charlie

Ken,

I really like the Motion 4's but they are noticeably bass shy against the Totem Arro's. Now with that being said I have each of my Arro's loaded up with a 25lb mix of sand and lead shot.

I'm not sure what the msrp is of a new pair of Arro's but I would suspect that one could purchase a pair of Motion 4's and a nice 8 or 10" sub for about the same figure. No more bass shyness !

Ken,

I really like the Motion 4's but they are noticeably bass shy against the Totem Arro's. Now with that being said I have each of my Arro's loaded up with a 25lb mix of sand and lead shot.

I'm not sure what the msrp is of a new pair of Arro's but I would suspect that one could purchase a pair of Motion 4's and a nice 8 or 10" sub for about the same figure. No more bass shyness !

I definitely going to add a sub. That would not be an issue. What about the other sound quality such as midrange, treble, soundstage, timbre, etc.. I narrow down my list to MartinLogan Motion, Nola Boxer, EMP 41-SE for a small 2.1 or 5.1 system. Also, how big is the sweet spot with the folded motion tweeter?

There is also some feedbacks from AVS Forum. Check ti out.

Ken

Ken, FWIW I am not the 'bookself speaker guru' but for the $$ spent the best I have heard to date is the ACI 'Sapphire'. I consider it to be the reference at it's price point ($1500 I believe) and well beyond it. With all this being said the $500 Motion 4's are far better than 1/3 of the ACI's in all things timber, soundstage, freq range, etc.

here's my baseball analogy............ the Motion's are a solid double, that if set-up correctly (ie. sub integration) one could stretch into a triple. The ACI Sapphires are a 'Home Run'.........I've yet to hear a 'Grand Slam' !! ....LOL !

Back