Motion Series help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MixinSammy

Reaction score
Im new to Martin Logan and the whole speaker set up thing. I just bought a set of Martin Logan motion 4's for my two fronts and my center is the motion 8. I have a 65 inch Mitsubishi DLP HD TV betweent the two 4's and the center sitting on my entertainment center in front of it. Trying to find people out here that are working with the motion series for home theater set up and finding out how they've placed their speakers. Also wondering if center placement is best below (in front of the TV) or set behind it higher up? The front two speakers are pictured on my old floor speakers, but they are now on stands. Right above the white Xbox360 is where I currently have my center. I just feel that my set up could be affecting the results I'm getting. MY movies sound "good", but not great. I'm also running everything off of my Pioneer VSX-50 elite receiver for power. Suggestions?? Thanks 1264.jpg

Update: 4/13/2012
Recalibrated and spoke with some audio people from Magnolia home theater. I have been working with them to get my home theater where I want it. The guy I spoke with asked me to check my sound output setting on my PS3 (which is what IM using for my bluray player). After hours of frustration and settings, removed the PS3 and plugged in my old bluray player. OMG!!! Finally got Dolby True master audio and was blown away. PCM sucks!!!!!!! DOLBY Digital or DTS-HD master audio is what you want. Definitely made a huge difference.

Update: 4/13/2012
Recalibrated and spoke with some audio people from Magnolia home theater. I have been working with them to get my home theater where I want it. The guy I spoke with asked me to check my sound output setting on my PS3 (which is what IM using for my bluray player). After hours of frustration and settings, removed the PS3 and plugged in my old bluray player. OMG!!! Finally got Dolby True master audio and was blown away. PCM sucks!!!!!!! DOLBY Digital or DTS-HD master audio is what you want. Definitely made a huge difference.

The PS3 supports DTS-HD and other Blu-Ray codecs, it just decodes them within the PS3 and outputs them as lossless LPCM. Make sure the PS3 is set on HDMI and to output Linear LPCM in all modes (5.1, 7.1). When you press Select for the info pane during Blu-Ray playback you should still see the DTS-HD logo in the top left-hand corner.

A little difficult to tell from your picture, but I believe that is a PS3 FAT (the older model). Those cannot bitstream DTS-HD/TrueHD, but use their own DAC to convert to LPCM which can be transmitted via HDMI. The newer thin PS3's can bitream the audiotracks directly to your receiver for decoding. In the sound output setting on the PS3 I recommend turning DTS 5.1 OFF, as on my system it will try to convert the DTS-HD 7.1 soundtracks to lossy DTS 5.1.

Also, is your center speaker "off center". I can't really see it on the picture as the components are all pretty dark (except for the xbox, but that is on the left and you said the center speaker was over this). Make sure the center speakers is truly in the center or that's going to throw your entire soundstage off. You may have to put it below the TV and elevate the TV with something. Also, what speakers are you using for the surrounds and sub? do you have a 5.1 or 7.1 setup? What is the position of those and how close are you all the speaker, they should be about equal distance from you listening position (front, sides, and back). What are the room accoustics like, is the room symetrical? The room will have a huge influence on the sound of your setup.

Back