more rights for terrorists

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that a valid legal argument can be made that they do fit within the parameters of the Geneva Conventions, and I also believe that we should act according to those Conventions on the battlefield even against an opponent that is not a signatory to the Conventions.

Rich, I respectfully disagree that those held are eligible for the protection under the Geneva Convention- specifically failing (4b) and (4c), and it's doubtful we'll be able to come to an agreement that will satisfy us both, but that's okay, anyone reading this thread can come to their own conclusions. We both enjoy the luxury of honorable dissent! ;)

I think our reputation in the international community demands that we do so.

I think I am like most Americans: I'm more interested in the will of the American people and their collective wisdom than that of the "international community". In a perfect world and under perfect circumstances I would go so far to say that I think our national self-respect would govern our actions, but this is neither a perfect world and hardly a perfect situation.

Our President has great latitude in his choice of action. As I see the issues inherent with his decisions, I pray he's right, just as I prayed that our previous Presidents were right. History will ultimately judge.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion but to call any Ex President an idiot on an open forum is in poor taste and uncalled for.

I am not sure how you can call any person who has risen to the highest office in the land an idiot, you may disagree with the politics or policies but at least show some respect for the office.

that is the problem in our country people are so partisan that we forget we are all Americans. I support our country and our President whoever it is.

Its a shame that people never offer anything constructive just destructive rhetoric and lets assign blame.

just my 2 cents

1. IM (not so) HO, GB (aka "Shrub") turn at the Presidency was a sad, sad tragedy not only for this country, but for the world at large. By ANY measure...

2. I DO, absolutely, have great respect for the Office of the President of the United States. I have NO respect whatsoever for Bush. Guess this probably offends the Bush-Lovers...:rolleyes:

3. Glad to hear that you supported Bill Clinton when he was President, and that you currently support President Obama. This is a nice contrast to the political hack attack dogs (Boehner and McConnell), who, while they look ridiculous on a pretty consistent basis, went over-the-top when they led the silly charge up the hill against President Obama's nominee for the United States Supreme Court -- before any selection was announced! Now that, I would submit, is a superb example of -- as you so deftly put it, of " "people are so partisan that we forget we are all Americans" and "...people never offer anything constructive just destructive rhetoric..."

Seriously, these guys are totally irresponsible, way too eager to attack anything and everything the President proposes, as if he was the one who created this mess... All they seem to know is "No." Frankly, their actions are sickening and a betrayal of the highest American ideals.

Didn't use to be like this, but this is what Bush / Rove / Limbaugh / Cheney has brought to our Nation's politics. Think back to Ike / Kennedy / Nixon / Ford / Carter / Reagan / Bush I -- actually had some real cooperation between Republicans and Democrats. Then some folks got their panties in a HUGE wad when Clinton beat Bush, and its been pretty much downhill since then (in terms of rabid political partisanship). Sad, sad. :(

4. Finally, yes, I do think -- as evidently many Americans do -- that we elected the "Village Idiot" as President (well, in 2004 anyway...). In context, and in retrospect, it would have been more accurate for me to have suggested that this was yet another idiotic comment, rather than "What an idiot." ;)

BTW, I was a Republican, before Bush -- and a Goldwater Republican at that!

I suppose what "Bubba" aka Clinton did in the White House with Monica was something to be proud of (Presidentially speaking), BTW, lest you forget Len....they are politicans and once you arrive in Washington, you become members of the 'good 'Ole boys club".

Hopefully Mr Obama will be that breath of fresh aire that city (and our Country) needs, time will tell, the jury is still out. But don't hold your breath.....you might turn purple !!

Well, I would agree that Clinton's behavior in regard to the Monica situation was certainly disappointing. I think it is also fair to say that Newt and his party way overplayed their hand in their attempt at impeachment / removal from office. Nothing like "sex police" -- quite ironic in light of the many sex scandals by republican congressmen during the last few years -- some gay, predator-type on pages, airport solicitations, prostitutes, and now, just this week, with a staffer the fellow from Nevada kept promoting and giving pay raises to for her, ah, "services." :eek: And this from one who was so quick to condemn others for their behavior (as were the others, BTW). Pretty sleazy, I'd say. :mad:

But regarding Clinton, remember what Reagan used to say:

"Ask yourself, are you better off now than you were four years ago?"

Next, check out the results of Clinton's time in office and compare that with the results of the disastrous Bush administration...:(

Between Clinton or Bush, I'd take Clinton every time. Hell, between [just about] ANYBODY and Bush, I'd take the the other person (Rush and his ilk need not apply, of course)...

Well, I would agree that Clinton's behavior in regard to the Monica situation was certainly disappointing. I think it is also fair to say that Newt and his party way overplayed their hand in their attempt at impeachment / removal from office. Nothing like "sex police" -- quite ironic in light of the many sex scandals by republican congressmen during the last few years -- some gay, predator-type on pages, airport solicitations, prostitutes, and now, just this week, with a staffer the fellow from Nevada kept promoting and giving pay raises to for her, ah, "services." :eek: And this from one who was so quick to condemn others for their behavior (as were the others, BTW). Pretty sleazy, I'd say. :mad:

But regarding Clinton, remember what Reagan used to say:

"Ask yourself, are you better off now than you were four years ago?"

Next, check out the results of Clinton's time in office and compare that with the results of the disastrous Bush administration...:(

Between Clinton or Bush, I'd take Clinton every time. Hell, between [just about] ANYBODY and Bush, I'd take the the other person (Rush and his ilk need not apply, of course)...

Len - you are hilarious... since you live in Maryland - can I assume you work in DC??? I would say politicians whether democrat or republican are just basically a bunch of guys that smile, shake your hand, claim the high road and then take the low road..... They justify their 'low' salary vs the private sector by taking on additional perks whether it be thru PACs, buying property at a deal, getting 'special favors' for their votes, or sex.....Its not a 'republican' or 'democrat' thing.....even though some seem to try to make it such...

Len - you are hilarious...

Thanks! I've always taken a great deal of pride in my sense of humor, as well as helping others to gain a bit of insight thereby. :D

since you live in Maryland - can I assume you work in DC???

Now, now -- you know what happens when one assumes...:devil::D

For the record...I don't "work in DC."

I would say politicians whether democrat or republican are just basically a bunch of guys that smile, shake your hand, claim the high road and then take the low road..... They justify their 'low' salary vs the private sector by taking on additional perks whether it be thru PACs, buying property at a deal, getting 'special favors' for their votes, or sex.....Its not a 'republican' or 'democrat' thing.....even though some seem to try to make it such...

I think it didn't used to be so much a republican or democrat thing, but, again, that seems to have changed after Clinton beat Bush I and Newt and his weenies went nutzoid, with unrelenting attacks on the Clintons.

But I think I share your chagrin (I'm reading between the lines here) and general disappointment in so many of the politicians of our day, who seem to want to put political advantage above all, even though that intrudes on Statesmanship and acting in the best interest of our Country. Yes, to too many, petty attempts at political oneupsmanship seem to have replaced being true to American ideals...:(

Latest posts

Back