Monster threatening to sue Blue Jeans Cable!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
FYI... happened to stumble upon another ridiculous example of Monster Cable's legal bullying tactics, as posted (and discussed further) here...
http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/monster-sues-blue-jeans-cable

As a longtime user of BJC, who believes they provide quality cables and superb service at a reasonable cost, I am appalled to hear about Monster's actions. Given that the owner of BJC is a retired attorney with LOTS of litigation experience, I hope that Monster has finally bitten off more than it can chew in this situation!

This is really crappy. I just read something where the people at Monster Cable were very vociferous claiming that "they never do this kind of thing to anyone, and anyone that says so is purely fabrication"

For what it's worth, we turned Monster away when they talked to us about advertising. I didn't want to get into bed with them...

Wow, I'll never, ever buy a Monster product again if they sue BJC.

Not only not buy, I'd recommend tem as often as I do Bose (another vendor with both questionable product values and legal practices)

BTW- BJC is one of the best deal on quality cables around. I have dozens of their products.

For what it's worth, we turned Monster away when they talked to us about advertising. I didn't want to get into bed with them...

Jeff, good for you, I like to see that kind of editorial and business integrity.

That's it! I'm replacing all my Monster Cable with wire coat hangers! ;)

Amen, after joining this group I have moved to BJC and Signalcable (with a little nordost on the side). Monster can only make their money off the clueless walking into BestBuy, etc.

Most of these sorts of lawsuits are really just thinly veiled methods of revenue enhancement--a way to make money for the plaintiff.

My guess is that Monster sales are WAY down, and they need an injection of money (or the removal of some competition) to stay profitable.

With companies like BJC, Monoprice, Speltz, Signal, White Zombie and others making major headway in the "budget high-end" cable market, and companies like Phillips, AR, and Belkin steamrolling into the "department store" market, Monster, which is sort of sitting on the fence between "consumer grade" and "high end" is taking a big hit. The regular consumer market is probably not buying many cables at all, and the "high end" buyers are moving toward products that actually have a field record of performance for price (like Monoprice, Signal, Speltz, and WZA).

The funny thing is, Monster cables are almost entirely made in China, and most of their serious high-end competitors are actually still made here in the USA. If the courts side with Monster, it will have a potential cooling effect on ALL cable-making entrepreneurs here in the USA. I wonder if THAT will figure into this suit?

If Monster wins this suit it will be not only a slap in the face of American entrepreneurs, but it will once again show the true hand of our Government and our court system--that they are NOT looking out for the best interest of our citizens but rather, are in the pockets of foreign investors. I hope the Owner of BJC is a VERY good lawyer, because, like Howard Bealle in the movie "Network", Blue Jeans Cable has "Meddled with the forces of nature" by making a product that shows Monster for the overpriced crap it really is, and like any charlatan who has been exposed, Monster will most likely lash out in a temper-tantrum of epic proportions...

I hope that Monster gets slammed with a fine for bringing a frivolous suit on this one. It would be the only right thing for the courts to do.

--Richard

Wow... Monster is really the right name for that company. How disgusting. If they've honestly got complaints about the design of BJC's RCA ends, how about going after the company that actually MAKES them - Canare. Why don't they do that? Probably because Canare is perceived as having the ability to defend themselves.

Blue Jeans is an assembler. They buy parts manufactured by well known and respected companies like Canare, Neutrik, Belden, Techflex, and assemble them in obvious ways. (That's not an insult... just pointing out that there's nothing particularly innovative about the assembly process that Monster can realistically claim is a patented process).

Monster cable has earned a new enemy here. As an entrepreneur, I would never buy a product from a company that attempts to destroy their competition in this underhanded manner.

- Jason

If this isn't an April fools prank (and I assume it isn't) I will be replacing any and all monster cables I have hooked up around the house. My theater is mostly BJC exclusively and AQ, but I ran all my inwall speaker cable as Monster Z2. I am switching cable for my 2 ch set up, and will make sure that not even a Monster Optical cable can be found in my set up. The mere thought that they would do BJC that injustice is disheartening.

Edit: after reading the letter, BJC could go back to using Canare terminations and Belden as they were the original and in almost all of my BJC gear. I actually like it better than the Tartan Cable Terminations.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back