Monolith IIIp crossover

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwr

Reaction score
I have had all the bits and pieces - cabling, interconnects,SAE hex set etc etc to try passively biamping the Monoliths for some time with a dual Plinius SA102 setup.

Opened the crossover box expecting to find a jumper between the high pass and low pass amplifier inputs - nothing there!! Spent some time attempting to track the signals on the circuit board but could not see an obvious point to separate the crossover. Also noted a red sliding switch in a black surround in the middle of the circuit board set to 115V - sliding to opposite reveals a 230V setting. Other crossover exactly the same.

The speakers have operated perfectly for a decade run with the amplifier into the full range/highpass connection on the outside of the crossover.

The manual is clear that there should be a jumper to be removed for biamplification. This is not present.

The serial numbers for the speakers are MIIF 400, 401 (230 -240V @50-60 Hz) and the crossovers are MPIF 002, 003 ( voltage not specified@ 50-60 Hz)

Any thoughts, observations? Jon?

I will email Jim Power as well.

Kevin

KWR,

I'll open one of my unused passive x-overs later today and look.

But the manual states it's a switch, not a jumper. Sounds like the only switch you saw looks like a voltage selector.
But the crossovers are not powered, so it can't be for selecting voltage. Therefore, it's more than likely they used a high-current capable, double-pole switch that's normally used for voltage selection.

Note that the manual states to switch the position to the "2" position. Voltage switches start with a 1(20) and have a 2(40) ;)

To validate this, leave the switch in the 120 position, and using a multimeter set to resistance measure, test the flow from the 'fullrange/High-Pass' to each of the output binding posts, there should be some flow to both.

Move the switch to the 240 position and validate that you do NOT have flow to both; it should only go to the high-pass outs.

If it passes this test, you are ready for hookup.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Hi Jonathon,

Problem solved - I must have an old manual because it talks about jumpers and does not mention the switch at all. I did not get why a switch would be talking about voltage - double doh:eek:

I am so inept that I do not own a multimeter. I will appropriate one from a friend and check.

Thanks,
Kevin

Monolith III x-over trouble

I'm currently scratching my head over this very issue as it seems that if I flip the switch over for bi-amping, I lose the hi-pass side altogether. Run in full mode and we're OK... any expirience with such a situation cross your path??
I'm a newbie to the site so be kind if it's an issue of ineptitude on my part.
I have checked continuity through and found it gets lost at the first capacitor
on both x-overs, so I'm guessing bad caps at this point. Just bought these
babies used recently and started upgrading the entire home theatre behind it
prompting the move to bi-amping.

Sorry paulsquared - my life has been so horrendously busy that I have not got around to playing with this. Trouble is we have good sound and this is straight fiddle so have not played with the crossover.

Kevin

Back