Audiolab MDAC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
In preparation for a music server I plan to set up (based on a Mac Mini) next month, I just purchased a used Audiolab MDAC. So I thought I'd start this thread where we can exchange info on preferred filter settings and other things related to the MDAC (cables, etc), since a lot of people here also use the MDAC.

I immediately ran into a problem: I'm using a Cardas Lightning digital cable to connect the S/PDIF output of my CDP to the DAC. I inadvertently plugged the cable into the S/PDIF output of the DAC. When pulling it out I also pulled out the ultra-cheap thin metal fitting that makes up the ground connector of the RCA socket on the MDAC (it got stuck in the plug). Cardas connectors are always tight, but I've never had such a problem before (I use a lot of Cardas). I had to use pliers to pull out the metal fitting from the plug; I'm not going to try to put it back as I will not need to use that output. So, extreme care is required when unplugging RCA cables from the MDAC. When looking for a used MDAC I came across an ad where it was stated that one RCA output connector was loose, so this is not a rare problem.

I'm currently running the S/PDIF output of my CDP into the MDAC. It's MUCH better than the internal DAC of my Marantz CDP.

Looking for opinions on filters, etc.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of what came off. The ground is obviously a press-fit. Wonder if I could improve it by using decent connectors, of course within the space limitations.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Hola Bernard...it is a faulty connector by Audio Lab factory. The representative of Audio Lab, the main office is there, in Canada. I had the same thing, and all what you need to do, is change the three coax connectors for the new, using the same number: jsr1583. The new part, had solved this problem. (http://www.solteamopto.com.tw/detail.php?ms=3&po_unit=3&pt_unit=8&p_unit=29). Try to speak with Michael...Planet of Sound Distribution phone: (416)461-3939. Let me know the price for the part...I might need some, about 6...also you can tell that are for Costa Rica...
Regards, and happy listening!

Also, if you look close to the RCA female connector, one side is longer. The shorter goes at the left side. What I did, using crazy glue, I applied just a dot to the left side, and put it back...it is working since...but you are right! Now they are using the above new design of that part. Happy listening!

Serious problem there Bernard. I'd definitely be speaking with the seller/retailer.

Was this a new unit?

As for filter settings, have a good play and see what you like.

I think Roberto and I agreed on most settings from memory.

I use Minimum Phase with D3E engaged.

Optimum transient can also be good on certain recordings.

Roberto has experimented further with firmware upgrades but I haven't been that adventurous.

Serious problem there Bernard. I'd definitely be speaking with the seller/retailer.

Was this a new unit?
This was a used unit in pristine shape, so the seller is out of the loop. Fortunately the distributor has a retail outlet here in Ottawa, so I'll walk in there and talk to them.

Uufff...you are right Amey. It is a serious problem. I had the same. It is not too difficult to do the repair. The new design of the part works beautiful, I got some from Michael, (Planet of Sound Distribution) but still need around 6 more pieces. I love the product. But I do not like the customer service. I had to wait about 9 months to get some of the spare parts!!! It was a nightmare for me, because I sold the M-DACs to a dear friends.

The Radio Shack de-soldering iron with Part No. 64-2060 works very good, and will not harm the conductor foil of the PC Board. What I do is, applying two or three times new solder to the pins that you want to de-solder, will make easier to remove and the holes will be clean of solder.

I have the service manual if you want it. Just drop me a PM, give me your email, and I will send it to you. Also, I have the web address of how to get all the firmware that were made...the last one is version A10.0. Happy listening!

Last edited:
Back