Modding the Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Matz

Reaction score
People often talk of modding their source or other electronics as manufacturers are trying to hit a price point and thus put in less than best parts. I imagine it's no different with the Logans.

Has anyone here had their speakers modded?

I know a guy in Chicago that can rewire the speaker with expensive Siltech wire and replace the cheap components in the crossover with much better stuff. I saw a crossover he had taken apart for an older Logan, and there were definitely opportunities for improvement.

I am considering replacing some of the electrolytic capacitors in my SL3s with Black Gates. One problem is that there is not much free space around the capacitors (the exact uF value may only be available from Black Gate in a higher voltage, hence a larger package). As the leads are radial rather than axial, it is not possible to stack capacitors to make up the correct value.

I have had great results replacing the caps in my Cal Audio DAC.

Yes, some of us do significant mods to our speakers ;)

Check out my system links in my sig.

Upgrading caps is an option, but tricky to actually make an improvement, as values and performance need to be close to the orginals to preserve the crossover points and phase relationships.

Back