ML Prodigy - worth the trip?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashua

Reaction score
I am now considering a pair of Prodigys, currently on Audiogon for $4500. Not a bad price. I'm curious as to what real world sonic difference these speakers have over a pair of, say, REQuests for half the used-market price.

Can anyone tell me the major virtues and advantages of the Prodigy? They are easy enough to get specifications on but that tells me nothing I can use.

Thanks,
Russ

Russ,
I've wondered the same thing. Do you have REQuests now? I have Quests and Velodyne subs for <50hz. I think $4500 is a fair price for Prodigys, but is it worth it? I like the lower xover point for the Quests than many other ML's.
Paul

I think that is a STEAL for Prodigy! I would not sell mine for anything close to that kind of money! Of course I have seen Oddessey for just under $3k which to me is like giving them away! I can't even imagine that!

I have not listened to any of the Quest/ReQuest/Quest Z speakers so I don't know how they compare.

I can tell you with a descent sub in the mix the bottom end is filled out more than w/o out it, BUT the Prodigy alone can REALLY shake a wall! The get down to like 27 or 28Hz, but the Descent gets all the way down to 20... That is a pretty big gap. Not a TON of music down there but enough for you to know it when you turn switch from 2 Channel Dolby music, to 2 channel bypass (straight full range signal to the Front L/R ONLY). If you didn't have a sub with the Prodigy you wouldn't be missing much though!

My music for comparison is Holst "The Planets" on CD and Vinyl... With the Rotel RSP 1098 it is easy to switch back and forth between the 2Ch, and 2Ch bypass. YMMV.

I am now considering a pair of Prodigys, currently on Audiogon for $4500. Not a bad price. I'm curious as to what real world sonic difference these speakers have over a pair of, say, REQuests for half the used-market price.

Can anyone tell me the major virtues and advantages of the Prodigy? They are easy enough to get specifications on but that tells me nothing I can use.

Thanks,
Russ

Russ, they are quite a bargain for that price. But keep in mind that you will need a lot of "room" - they are huge, and require some space behind them and all around....beside the usual ML sound benefits, you will be rewarded with the most bass you can get from a ML hybrid.

Russ, they are quite a bargain for that price. But keep in mind that you will need a lot of "room" - they are huge, and require some space behind them and all around....beside the usual ML sound benefits, you will be rewarded with the most bass you can get from a ML hybrid.

Lugano speaks the truth here. Mine do not have enough room to really "breath" the way they should and I saw that recently when I had no TV between them at all! They are simply HUGE TOO!

Back