ML Prodigy Found on the Street

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R32 Chase

Reaction score
Hello, I'm the new owner of a pair of Martin Logan Prodigy Loud Speakers.

I was cruising around a friend's neighborhood earlier this week, when I spotted the oddest thing. It was a large pile household items that looked to be ready for a trash pick-up. Nothing odd about that really, but out of the this pile were, what looked to be very large electro-static speakers. There was a U-Haul parked nearby, so I thought maybe they were moving. It was starting to rain and so I asked a lady if she needed help moving her speakers. She said her husband no longer wanted them. At this point I was speechless. Although I couldn't see the entire speaker cabinet, I was almost positive they were Martin Logan speakers.

All I could manage to say was "Ma'm, do you know those are electro-static speakers?" She replied, "Yes, I do." I then said, they're five thousand dollar speakers." She was quick to say, "I know, my husband doesn't want them anymore. I waited about a half a second to ask, "Would it be ok if I took them in my truck?" "No problem" she said as a matter of fact.

They're not perfect by a long stretch. they've got a few marks and dings and all four grills need to be replaced. They power-up with the signature blue light and seem to otherwise function as normal. Pretty strange find I think.

My wife is less then thrilled with my "score" so I may have to find a new home for them. However, leaving them there in the rain would have been a crime. :eek:

I'm really hoping to keep them, I've down loaded the user manual and contacted ML service to find out about replacement grills. Any help would be very much appreciated.

God, that's incredible.

You never actually spoke with the husband, huh? Wonder if it's a divorce situation... and the husband is yet to find out! :eek:

Just wow.

Okay. I'm too old for fairytales. Tell me what really happened... :eek:

Like the Porsche for 50 dollars being sold by the angry ex wife....
or the Corvette for 50 dollars that had the dead body inside it....

something smells of fish...

ok, guys, seems really strange, but something similar happened to me too. There is a man here in Italy who builds and sells high efficiency loudspeakers. He is a smart guy, but he has a particulat character. He had to sell a pair of Monolith, the price was good but the overall conditions weren't perfect. Twice happened that the potential buyer, after testing the ML, choose his high efficiency creatures instead of the Monoliths. So the mailing list where he advertised the ML started complaining that this was only a way to have people coming in his shop and then to sell them his high efficiency loudspeakers. He decided then, to show everyone that he was honest, to give the ML for free to the first one that asked for. HERE I AM!!!
Ok, the conditions were really far from perfect, but they were working, I had only to recone the woofers (after a 900km trip to pick them up) and enjoy!

Ciao!

Ok, I have the go ahead to keep them from the wife. So I'm going to start researching amps. My only experience with high current amps are when I ran four 1.0t Carver amps bridged mono running my Snells. My first instinct is to check for some used gear up in Miami. Maybe Proceed or Krell? Thanks for your comments and I'll start a system build thread eventually. :rocker:

I'll give you 100 bucks.... think of the profit margin????? :)

I'll give you 100 bucks.... think of the profit margin????? :)

That's a deal! I will have to charge you 3,500.00 delivery fee though. :D

Found this on ebay. Anybody know much about if they would match-up with the Prodigy?

4e3a_12.JPG

Do you know how much council cleanup rubbish I've looked at waiting for a day like that?

And you go ahead and steal it from me!

haha.......congratulations! I hope my time comes soon!

I take it he didn't want to get rid of all the electronics too? You should have looked harder in that rubbish pile - there might have been a few ARC amps and a Goldmund DAC!

Found this on ebay. Anybody know much about if they would match-up with the Prodigy?

Looks like a dead-ringer for my B&K 3-channel amp. For my center channel and surrounds, my B&K is fine and does the job, but I'm not sure I would be sold on it to drive a pair of Prodigys for critical 2-channel listening...

Of course, you could do worse!

R32 CHASE - will you buy a lottery ticket for me?

Back