ML Passage (F/L/C) & ML Helos 10 (Surround) - Which Receiver

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnagesw

Reaction score
Hello All,

Recently purchase ML Passage speakers for Front/Left/Center and ML Helos 10 for Rear/Surround. I see that Passages are rated at 6 ohms vs Helos 10 rated at 4 ohms.

Please suggest a receiver that is not going to break my bank. I am hoping for something less than 1K.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Nag

I think all the receivers in the ~600-1000 range are pretty much equal to their competitors. I don't think you can find a bad one in this price range. Just stay away from the <$500 and you'll be fine. Don't worry too much about the specified watts and pick one with a comfortable user interface, looks, and features that interest you.

I like Harmon Kardon (Because I like Logic 7 sound processing), and there are great values all around.

Just make sure to get one with built-in Audyssey room correction, to minimize the effect of wall-mounting. The Denon 3808CI is a very capable receiver, and although it retails higher than your budget, word on the street is that model will be discontinued shortly, so the price will likely drop.

I have a Denon 3808CI myself and I love it. 'If you have the means, I would highly recommend picking one up, it is so choice' - Ferris Bueller

Also, in the past I have used Sony's middle/upper end receivers. For the price I really enjoy their user interface and features.

Thanks a lot eckertdj and sleepysurf for your input! While waiting for the Denon 3808 price to go down, I talked to a few local custom installers and here are some other options that came up

Intergra 7.9
Onkyo 906 / 876

Also if I have to compramise because of the budget - what is ur opinion on Denon 2809?

As always, any input/comments are much appreciated!

Highly recommend Denon also.

Recently purchased the 2309CI for $750 or so from Cruchfield, which replaced my 12 year old Denon that had who knows how many hours on it.

And yes, Sleepy is totally correct. the Audyssey software is incredible.. If you don't buy Denon, make sure the other brand has the most current Audyssey software. I know the 2309 does.

GG

Last edited:
Back