ML Motion 12 Detail Extraction - 4 or 8 Ohm?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INROCK

Reaction score
QUESTION: For pure music listening, what has been your experience in setting your amplifier to 4 ohm versus 8 ohm in driving ML Motion 12s in stereo 2-speaker mode?

BACKGROUND: I have a Yamaha RX-V995 (5.1) receiver rated at 100W minimum RMS at 8 ohms for each channel [L/R main, center, and L/R rear]. My primary speakers are 2 Martin Logan Motion 12s with recommended amp power of 20W-300W. The receiver may be set at 4 ohm with a DPR of 200W per channel with both main speakers [L/R] driven. The speakers are capable of 4 ohm impedance [which I currently employ], but specs indicate ML 12s are 4, 6 and 8 ohm compatible.

WHAT I'M TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH: Simply stated, I want to extract maximum detail and performance from the ML Motion 12 speakers. The speakers are 1 year old. My objective is not volume, which is easy to control. At listenable levels, I have no distortion problems. I just want to get the most out of the speakers, which are exclusively used for stereo listening. My music devices are a KAB customized Technics SL-1210MK5 with an AT 440MLa cartridge, and TSCAM [TEAC] C222MIII single CD/cassette playback and recorder.

MY REQUEST: Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. [NOTE: I am aware of the importance of proper speaker placement and room/furniture acoustic implications. I have also experimented with setting the amplifier at 4 and 8 ohms, notice no appreciable sound difference, and the RX-V995 runs tepid warm at both settings.]

Back