ML Depth subwoofer connection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzvelik

Reaction score
I finally got a ML Depth Subwoofer to help out the lower end on my Aeon i's. Since ML is closed right now & I'm very eager to test it out, could someone here recommend on how to go about connecting it to my integrated amp. I would like to know if I should use the Y adaptor or just go with a mono connection?

Thanks,

Z

What does your integrated have for preamp outputs? 1 pair or 2? Does it have a subwoofer output?

If you have Pre-out RCA sockets on your integrated-amp you would connect those to the input on your external subwoofer. But I suppose you figured that out by now. :)

What does your integrated have for preamp outputs? 1 pair or 2? Does it have a subwoofer output?

Hi Craig,

According to the back of the Primare SPA21 amp (as shown on page 9 in the manual: http://sumikoaudio.net/primare/manuals/spa21_manual.pdf ), the sub output is located at the center analog preouts and it looks like you can connect 1 or 2 RCAs there. I believe one of the Sumiko reps recommended that I use the mono connection when I was at CES last week, but thought I'd ask other owners here for their suggestions. In any case, I may give Sumiko a call before I contact ML.

Thanks for the help,

Z

If you have Pre-out RCA sockets on your integrated-amp you would connect those to the input on your external subwoofer. But I suppose you figured that out by now. :)

I'm so used to RCA pairs, that I forgot the center and/or sub were supposed to be just for a single RCA. The Y-Adaptor that came with my sub cable confused me. My bad! :D

If you are using the sub in a home theatre then use the single sub output (or LFE output) from your reciever to your LFE input on your Depth.

You can also use the Y connector to split the sub cable to the L/R input on your sub for an increased signal to the sub. This worked well on a Klipsch sub I used to have. You can try the Y connector to see if you prefer it over the single input.

If you use the sub in a 2 channel only system then you can use the L/R preamp out from the preamp (or receiver in your case) to the L/R input on the sub then use the L/R out from the sub to the amplifier. You would then use the crossover (high/low pass filter) on the sub to set the freq cuttoffs to the speakers.

Your Depth manual should cover all but the Y connector.

Thanks to all who responded. I finally got the sub to work with my Primare SPA21 amp. Anyone who has a similar Primare amp and runs into problems, I'll be glad to walk you through the steps to save you some time. My previous RELs were much easier to set up with their speakon cables, but I really enjoy the Depths quicker response on the bass. I even took out an old CD which had the 1812 Overture and Beethoven's Wellington's Victory and the sub had no problem handling the canon fires and dynamics. I only wish I could find my old Stereophile test CDs to do some more tweaking, but they're no where to be found.

One question I still wonder about is if I did the right thing as far as crossing over the lows between the Aeon i's and the Depth. The Primare has a unique feature that allows you to determine the crossing point between the main speakers and the sub. I chose 80hz as that is the highest setting on the sub. I'm only using 2 channel, so I wonder if there's any other way to let the sub handle the lows from 150 hz and down or maybe that's not a good idea or it might not even be possible with the settings on the back of the Depth??? I can always call ML again, but I do appreciate the input I get from other ML owners!

Thanks for all the help,

Z

If you are using the sub in a home theatre then use the single sub output (or LFE output) from your reciever to your LFE input on your Depth.

You can also use the Y connector to split the sub cable to the L/R input on your sub for an increased signal to the sub. This worked well on a Klipsch sub I used to have. You can try the Y connector to see if you prefer it over the single input.

If you use the sub in a 2 channel only system then you can use the L/R preamp out from the preamp (or receiver in your case) to the L/R input on the sub then use the L/R out from the sub to the amplifier. You would then use the crossover (high/low pass filter) on the sub to set the freq cuttoffs to the speakers.

Your Depth manual should cover all but the Y connector.

Back