ML aficionado in lower Michigan/ north west Ohio?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUB SRT

Reaction score
Hello,

My names John and was hoping to reach out to someone on here that would be willing to come out and give me pointers on my system/ listen. I know this seem unorthodox, but just want to get the most out of my system and consider myself a novice. I would be will to help with gas. My system is in my signature. Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Feel free to PM me:)

Last edited:
I wish this was posted in the summer. My summer car (an old Porsche) gets 26 mph hwy, my winter ride a 4wd S-10 pick up truck gets about 18 mpg.

If you cannot get anyone out there you could try what everyone else does. Post a detailed description of your system and room (include dimensions), and post a few photos. I'm sure you will get lots of feedback that way, and most of it pretty good.

I have pretty detail pics in my members section. I'll post measurements tonight. Would still love to network with someone to follow. To help give a general direction for a upgrade path :) I will give my manger the cd with track in question (since he has the same speakers.)

I wish this was posted in the summer. My summer car (an old Porsche) gets 26 mph hwy, my winter ride a 4wd S-10 pick up truck gets about 18 mpg.

If you cannot get anyone out there you could try what everyone else does. Post a detailed description of your system and room (include dimensions), and post a few photos. I'm sure you will get lots of feedback that way, and most of it pretty good.

Mysystem.jpg

Last edited:
Hubbard, the dimension between the speaker, center line to center line, what is it?

Based on the dimension posted on the plan of 11.5 feet (room depth), and what I see in the photo in your link, I think the speakers may be too far apart to form a solid center image. In addition, the speakers may not be far enough into the room.

I realize that pulling the speakers out from the wall may put you into nearfield listening, but it's a chance you may have to take. Some people like nearfield listening, not me, it's like headphones to me.

They say your speakers should be at least 6-feet apart, but in a small room like yours with a less than 10-foot listening distance I would go as low as 4-feet apart. My room layout actually has the speakers only four feet apart, very solid center image, and the sound/image is not very wide I must admit. However it's not the end of the world and sound pretty good.

Try moving your sub around, and bring your speakers 1-2 inches away from the center piece of furniture. Set your toe-in about 1/4 to 1/2 of what it is now. You may end up losing that center piece of furniture, placing the speakers as close together as possible without creating interference with your TV screen viewing angles.

The distance from the front face to the front wall on my system is only about 30", any closer and it kills everything. Bass goes nuts, sound flattens outs, it's just a mess. They recommend 4-feet, many people use 3-feet, 2.5 feet is cutting it to the bone, less than that is a lost cause.

You may also want to pull that couch off the back wall. If you can get your head a good 3-feet into the room, great. If not, then at least 18" with heavy sound absorption behind your head(s).

In this system his head/seating position is on the back wall like yours, you may want to PM Peter and get his two cents. See bottom of page two photo.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?5532-System-228-(Odyssey)

EDIT: I made more comments in your system section.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...eatment-for-source-floors&p=143148#post143148

Last edited:
Hubbard, the dimension between the speaker, center line to center line, what is it?

Based on the dimension posted on the plan of 11.5 feet (room depth), and what I see in the photo in your link, I think the speakers may be too far apart to form a solid center image. In addition, the speakers may not be far enough into the room.

I realize that pulling the speakers out from the wall may put you into nearfield listening, but it's a chance you may have to take. Some people like nearfield listening, not me, it's like headphones to me.

They say your speakers should be at least 6-feet apart, but in a small room like yours with a less than 10-foot listening distance I would go as low as 4-feet apart. My room layout actually has the speakers only four feet apart, very solid center image, and the sound/image is not very wide I must admit. However it's not the end of the world and sound pretty good.

Try moving your sub around, and bring your speakers 1-2 inches away from the center piece of furniture. Set your toe-in about 1/4 to 1/2 of what it is now. You may end up losing that center piece of furniture, placing the speakers as close together as possible without creating interference with your TV screen viewing angles.

The distance from the front face to the front wall on my system is only about 30", any closer and it kills everything. Bass goes nuts, sound flattens outs, it's just a mess. They recommend 4-feet, many people use 3-feet, 2.5 feet is cutting it to the bone, less than that is a lost cause.

You may also want to pull that couch off the back wall. If you can get your head a good 3-feet into the room, great. If not, then at least 18" with heavy sound absorption behind your head(s).

In this system his head/seating position is on the back wall like yours, you may want to PM Peter and get his two cents. See bottom of page two photo.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?5532-System-228-(Odyssey)

EDIT: I made more comments in your system section.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...eatment-for-source-floors&p=143148#post143148

My sources are 9ft apart (measured at mid panel on the speaker).

I'm think about getting rid of the center stand a getting a tower and put it off to the side. I than could move the sub to the center and the floors in more if I needed to (which it looks like I may.)

Your speakers are technically within ML's recommended placement with the distance apart they are now, you just don't have any room to play with placement to see if they could potentially sound better closer together. ML recommends a 1:1 to 1:2 (if I remember right) ratio for distance between speakers to distance to listener. I've moved my Theos around a couple of times testing from 1:1 to 1:1.5 and while it sounds different, there's not a clear winner to me on which one sounds better. Like mentioned above, the distance out of the walls has a big effect, and in my system playing with the tilt had an even bigger effect on the speakers.

Your speakers are technically within ML's recommended placement with the distance apart they are now, you just don't have any room to play with placement to see if they could potentially sound better closer together. ML recommends a 1:1 to 1:2 (if I remember right) ratio for distance between speakers to distance to listener. I've moved my Theos around a couple of times testing from 1:1 to 1:1.5 and while it sounds different, there's not a clear winner to me on which one sounds better. Like mentioned above, the distance out of the walls has a big effect, and in my system playing with the tilt had an even bigger effect on the speakers.

Once I get a few more things and change some stuff, I'll see how it sounds.

My sources are 9ft apart (measured at mid panel on the speaker).
FYI: Historically "sources" are things like turntables, CD players and tape players. I know exactly what you meant, just wanted you to know for future conversations.

Lets say your speakers are 2-feet into the room, 9 feet apart, and your head 1-foot off the back wall.

2+9+1= 12 feet

Your room is 11.5 feet, so you are just under, or inside of the equilateral triangle. It has been my experience and also what I've read in many reviews that the ML's sound best well outside of that distance. I'm not saying the farther back the better, just saying the 1.2 to 1.5 the distance is better than 1 to 1 or .9 to 1 you currently have.

I agree with mopar04, you need some wiggle room to experiment with. I suggest killing some of that toe-in, moving the speakers closer together and hanging a rug on the back wall (make it a pretty one).

FYI: Historically "sources" are things like turntables, CD players and tape players. I know exactly what you meant, just wanted you to know for future conversations.

George he's talking about the speaker and the speaker is the Martin Logan Source model.

I was like how does he not know this. Plural of source would be sources I thought. Lol.

Back on topic. I'm going to get ride of my stand and get a audio rack to go off the side. This way I have a nice clear stage and more wiggle room.

here is a pic of the other part of the room.
6136c9b4.jpg

Mysystem.jpg

A lot of you are saying to move the HT system to another side/ part of the room. My fear of moving everything to the couch side is the panels being in direct sunlight in the AM. Other people have suggest the furthest part of the room (pink looking couch). I think this would be the better of the two options. I'm working to get rid of my furniture/ ent. stand. This way the speakers can be brought in more if need be.

Or does everyone think once i get rid of the stand to just move them in a little and call it a day?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Last edited:
Any suggestions from the wonderful fans of ML?

Certainly think turning around 90deg would be much better option if feasible in the room. Could give better space behind the speakers and good distance to listening seat(s)!

All the best

Certainly think turning around 90deg would be much better option if feasible in the room. Could give better space behind the speakers and good distance to listening seat(s)!

All the best

Okay... Thats what I was thinking... I'll of course have to make sure it's okay with the old lady. Haha.

Back